News Smoking locations updated at the Magic Kingdom

JayWaters

A lot of europeans smoke and visit Disney. Banning it altogether will lose them sales, and therefore it’s a none starter. Disney in Cali interestingly only has 1 per park, perhaps due to the more local, health conscious makeup of the guest population.

They should be kept out of the way though...I don’t want to smell it and breathe it in

The Disneyland Parks each have two smoking areas.

Creathir

Makes sense. Is the trail going to be completely gone post-Tron construction? Smoke aside it was a beautiful walk, shame to have quiet spaces like that disappear entirely (although with the buzz of a new ride around it, it probably wouldn't be that quiet to begin with.)
You know, I’m not entirely sure. I’d imagine not permanently as it would allows quick access to TomorrowLand from the Fantasy Land train station.

Perhaps @marni1971 knows for sure?

mikeymouse

The trams smoke, ban them. The buses smoke, ban them. The trains, boats, vehicles, etc. Ban them all. Seriously!? Lets be realistic here. People can be so hateful when they're hiding behind a keyboard and monitor. Its not okay to shame someone because they have a weight problem so you shouldn't be shaming someone for an addiction, whatever it may be.

Goofyernmost

Time to say goodbye to smoking. As a pass holder, I’m seeing more people disregard the smoking sections and smoke wherever they please. This occurs at the parks and hotels.

Let’s not forget Disney is for families, so who wants their kid breathing any cancer sticks.

Walt Disney himself died because of smoking. So, they lost the creative mind to the parks and still allow smoking. Why. $$$$$.
Have you also managed to notice the reduction in the number of smoking areas? The degree of difficulty in finding one and also the attitudes of people that are unharmed, but, somehow bent on controlling other peoples habits, good or bad? If you make it impossible to get to a safe place to have a smoke, you will not stop the habit or it's need. You will only see an increase in people just saying the hell with it and smoking wherever they happen to be. If one is going to wander around with the feeling of superiority because you are "smart" enough not to be a smoker, then at least try and be smart enough to know what will make the situation worse.

That creative mind that was lost, would currently be about 117 years old. I think that if he never touched a cigarette in his entire life, we would still be without him. Yet, this ugly, stupid, disgusting "smoker" created something that is still extremely successful a full half a century after his death regardless of the cause of it. What have you done in your smokeless life that would be this big?

shernernum

Have you also managed to notice the reduction in the number of smoking areas? The degree of difficulty in finding one and also the attitudes of people that are unharmed, but, somehow bent on controlling other peoples habits, good or bad? If you make it impossible to get to a safe place to have a smoke, you will not stop the habit or it's need. You will only see an increase in people just saying the hell with it and smoking wherever they happen to be. If one is going to wander around with the feeling of superiority because you are "smart" enough not to be a smoker, then at least try and be smart enough to know what will make the situation worse.

That creative mind that was lost, would currently be about 117 years old. I think that if he never touched a cigarette in his entire life, we would still be without him. Yet, this ugly, stupid, disgusting "smoker" created something that is still extremely successful a full half a century after his death regardless of the cause of it. What have you done in your smokeless life that would be this big?

Before anyone responds with saying Disney needs to enact a ban on smoking and then enforce it, remind me of the last time you saw a concerted effort at Disney to enforce widespread guest behavior. They have basically given up on the dress codes at restaurants aside from V & A.

There will still be those who will try to sneak a cigarette (good luck trying to find every cigarette coming into the park unless you are doing full searches of every guest) while they are walking around the park. Regular cast members are not going to go out of their way to police the ban, because it is not in their best interest to start confrontations. However, if and when it is banned, we know that there will be members of the general public who will take it upon themselves to "enforce" the ban through words or actions, which will inevitably cause a few unpleasant confrontations amongst guests. I think Disney is trying to find a happy medium here.

The Mom

Premium Member
That's a bit melodramatic. By banning smoking in the park altogether you're not turning them into "criminals". Pretty much every bar and restaurant and store in America does not allow smoking and you can't smoke in your hotel rooms at Disney...yet smoking is still legal.

Magic Kingdom can very easily ban smoking as can the rest of the parks. There is plenty of real estate on which you can smoke on Walt Disney World property. Banning it in the parks makes perfect sense.

Especially if you look at it from an environmental standpoint. They have banned plastic straws even though WDW is nowhere near the ocean. But cigarettes release carcinogens into the atmosphere and the cigarette butts are also pollutants.

Not to mention second hand smoke being more dangerous for non-smokers. By allowing the second hand smoke in the parks Disney is making children and non-smokers susceptible to the dangers of second hand smoke.

And from a safety point of view: Disney mandates that we wear seat belts, lap bands, etc. and they have a litany of safety rules in the parks to keep people out of danger. Smoking is proven to be dangerous to your health so by mandating that smoking not be allowed in the parks...Disney is just ensuring the safety of its visitors.

1. I said nothing about either allowing or banning smoking in enclosed areas. I was among those overjoyed when they finally stopped the "smoking/nonsmoking" areas in restaurants, etc. - as if the smoke was going to stay on one side of the room! But, people could, and can, smoke once they leave the premises. The same with hotels until they out and out banned smoking in any rooms - it was pretty gross the last time I stayed in a 100% booked hotel and was put in a smoking room. But, they did(and do) have designated smoking areas outside - and they are getting further and further away from where non-smokers have to walk. So, as I stated, I am not happy about having designated outdoor smoking areas in the park, but also do not think they should be removed, and a total ban on smoking be instituted. I also think that CMs should police it better - but seeing how hostile people can become when instructed to follow rules, I can understand why they might prefer to overlook it. But putting a total ban would require people to actually leave the park, and come back in through the gates, security, etc again. Which might make them more likely to try and make their own designated area.

2. I have encountered anti-smokers who would like smoking to be made illegal, as stated. Put on the same level as opiods. Thereby making what was previously legal activity illegal. What was "dramatic" about my repeating what I have heard? I didn't say it - and IMO those who did say it might have been a bit dramatic. Or just expressing their view about something they feel strongly about due to personal experience with the health dangers.
Right now, there are various restrictions that vary state by state - and even city by city. Some states have made smoking under certain circumstances "illegal" but only punishable with fines and community service - no jail time. In my particular city, bar smoking is up to the owner - unless a certain percentage of sales come from food service, and then indoor smoking is banned. But still, smoking is allowed outdoors, so many restaurants have outdoor seating.

Overeating and alcohol are also dangerous to your health, and yet Disney has the yearly Food & Wine Festival. Granted, no amount of smoking (and according to the latest study, alcohol) is safe, perhaps Disney should remove all but organic, low fat, low salt, low sugar items to keep people safe? Now I am being purposely dramatic. ;)

EricPZ

As a former smoker, I have no problem with those who do having a location to satisfy their addiction. However, walking Tomorrowland so my youngest could ride Barnstormer on our recent trip, I couldn't believe the crowd taking up most of the walkway. I had decided to rule that shortcut out in future, but this is a much better solution.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
So there is not a smoking spot by the wishing well outside the castle anymore? :angelic: We used to run past and hold our breath.....

Sure I wish no one smoked at the parks or anywhere else. I have had family members ill from second hand smoke lung illness....it's not pretty. I don't aim to intentionally shame anyone over their addiction....but the fact remains that smoking as with most addictions do harm others beyond the person who often chooses to begin the habit that became the addiction. And THAT is often disregarded as harmful by those with addictions themselves...:bored:. I APPLAUD anyone who has had to struggle and tried to stop and continues to struggle to overcome any type of addiction. Keep on stopping.....:happy:

Those newer vape thingys that emit dragon like exhaust are not allowed at WDW even in smoking areas....right?!?! I drove past a driver doing that last weekend and I could not see the driver amidst the haze, even though window was cracked, and wondered how driver could see the stoplight that had turned green....:banghead:.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I'm a smoker and I'm fine with the number of smoking areas they have in the parks at this point. I am responsible and only use the designated areas. The fact that people do not, or think that vaping on Main Street is ok, makes me irritated. Rules are there for a reason and society is based on those rules being followed.

Side note: I will miss the walkway between New Fantasyland and Tomorrowland - not just because it was an out of the way place to smoke, but because I was my favorite quiet path in the park - very nice place to watch the train and a good view of the castle.

And for those anti-smoking people on this thread - yes, I know it's bad for me. Yes, I know I should quit. But alas, I made a personal choice as an individual to engage in a (for now) completely legal activity. The smoking areas are tucked away enough not to bother people, and if you are so easily offended by trace amounts of smoke on the breeze, then I can't help you.

We all have our triggers. I get agitated by morbidly obese people riding hover-rounds in the park because they've eaten themselves into immobility, or people buying burgers and other fat-laden foods for their overweight kids, but I keep my thoughts to myself....Until now, that is.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And for those anti-smoking people on this thread - yes, I know it's bad for me. Yes, I know I should quit. But alas, I made a personal choice as an individual to engage in a (for now) completely legal activity.
Just ask yourself why the government allows an industry to sell a product that is (a) addictive, (b) a known carcinogen, and (c) is hazardous not only to the user but to people around them.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Just ask yourself why the government allows an industry to sell a product that is (a) addictive, (b) a known carcinogen, and (c) is hazardous not only to the user but to people around them.

I assume you want the answer to be: Big money from the tobacco lobby. (That was the case in the past, but not so much anymore). The real answer is tax revenue. That's why you have states and cities taxing the hell out of a product they know people are hooked on. It's a steady stream of money. That's why pot will be legal in more places. Legalize it, regulate the hell out of it and tax it even more. Ka-ching!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom