News Smoking locations updated at the Magic Kingdom

geekza

I'm sure one can find a website that backs up anything we want, however, until they explain why people like myself can grow up with a parent that smoked in the house, in the car (windows closed) and I myself smoked from age 10 to 50 have escaped lung cancer and someone can make an argument that walking through an OPEN AIR area with a slight odor of cigarette smoke can all of a sudden get cancer "caused by second hand smoke". Makes no sense at all. Some other factor, much stronger is involved we just don't know what that is yet, so let's blame it on second hand smoke no matter how minor the exposure is. I have never once said that it was not a threat to people with existing conditions, either known of unknown, however, let's use some common sense when it comes to what the cause is.
I'm a smoker. Before anyone comes down on me, I'm fine with only smoking in the designated areas and, in fact, probably won't even bring my cigarettes into the park with me, simply because it's a place with a lot of kids and there will be times when we leave the park during the day when I can have a smoke. I'm aware of the risks and I'm doing what I can to cut down and, hopefully, quit.

With that said, thinking that just because you've been lucky does not negate scientific research. It isn't a binary situation in that, if you are subjected to secondhand smoke, you'll develop health problems 100% of the time. You may not. However, the chances of you developing serious health problems is greatly increased if you are subjected to secondhand smoke. Rigorous scientific studies back that up. I doubt you'd argue that tobacco contains cancer-causing agents. However, if we use the same logic as your argument about secondhand smoke, then you can point to lots of people who lived long, cancer-free lives and were smokers. They exist. That doesn't negate the truth that smoking greatly increases your chance of developing lung cancer and emphysema. It's a common logical fallacy to claim that, because something didn't happen to you, it isn't true.

Goofyernmost

All the while Disney continues to dump more and more Alcohol into the family Disney Parks with no concern about alcoholism, liver issues, throat tumors, lack of ability to use a motor vehicle safely and kill people that had no choice in where they were at the time and you think they are going to care about the few, these days, that actually are smokers. Get them to make it easier to find smoking areas, off the beaten path and this whole discussion comes to an end for the most part. Stop acting like vaping is the same as smoking and maybe more will quit the habit, I know it helped me through some struggles. But, lets go ahead and drive our smoke belching, big engine vehicles, polluting our air and blame it all on Second Hand Cigarette smoke. But, so many are hooked on the big cars and the alcohol that is OK, let's not even include that in the possible problems.

One thing that I can tell you from experience is that compared to what it was like back a few years ago smoking hardly exists anymore. There wasn't a household, an automobile or any place within a crowd that wasn't completely saturation with unregulated chemically loaded tobacco smoke. Disney used to hire armies of people to just run out and sweep up cigarette butts from the streets, in the stores and in the queue's. It has come a long way and smokers are treated like lepers and I can tell you that, from experience, if anyone felt the need to insult me because I smoked only made me more determined to continue. I was not alone, but, over time there is a good chance that cigarettes will disappear with the advent of a few people caring about what the smoker is psychologically going through. Until then you will have the militants and confronting them only makes the situation worse. People have to quit on their own, not because someone else tells or attempts to force them to do so.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE SMOKING. I also do not advocate thinking that they are responsible for all the health problems in the world. They primarily are hurting themselves, but, recent social attitudes have convinced more and more to stop smoking, but, they have to make that decision and not based on amateur shaming methods. With this I am done with this discussion, You folks that have judged me as being pro-smoking are as wrong as can be. You don't know the pain that I went through trying to shake the chemical habit and then the physical habit that I don't think ever goes away completely. A little compassion and patience would go a lot further then confrontation. I cannot tell you how many false starts I had over the years to quit, but, you don't care about that. All you care about is that you might get a whiff of smoke, so go on making the decisions that will only prolong the problem, don't listen to someone that has been there.

jaklgreen

Yes, indeed directly sucking tar and nicotine into ones lungs can and will cause serious damage over time. It is the argument from people that walk by, the fake coughing and the snottiness exhibited toward smokers that I find far more offensive then human beings being human beings and having flaws. The holier then thou group are also part of the same group that drink until their livers look like Swiss cheese that act like if they come within a few feet of smoke will drop dead within three steps that have me upset. And I don't even smoke anymore and haven't in years, but, I did for over 40 years and I know how strong the addiction can be. If you told someone that you had a drug abuse problem they would fall all over themselves trying to find help for you, but, mention smoking and all of a sudden they are evil, stupid and dirty people. The older I get the more I really can't stand people. Maybe people should be banned from WDW. I know it would be a much more pleasant place for me. And please, ban popcorn and Turkey legs. The smell of those things make me nauseous .

I can sympathize with those with an addiction, as smoking is. But I am one of those whom after breathing in second hand smoke for the first 18 years of my life, have developed a severe allergy to cigarette smoke. I never smoked a day myself but my mom was a chain smoker(and it took her life at 62). It is as if I am an ex-smoker and my body can not handle it anymore. So even walking by a smoking area sets off all kinds of allergic reaction to it. Instant pounding headache, my nose and throat start to close up, eyes start to sting. I went to an allergist and he said that although it is a real severe allergy, there is not much that can be done about it other then try to take allergy meds(which did not work). It is difficult to go anywhere with this type of allergy. Even going to the grocery store is a challenge because some smoker has to get in their last puff right by the door because they will be without one for 20 minutes while they shop. You see it as over dramatic, but look it at for our angle. We have no way to really avoid it since it is in the air. If a person can not go a few hours or days without something, I don't care what it is, don't you think that is a serious problem? Especially since it does affect others around them. We are not talking about food and water here, a person should be able to go without something for a week's vacation. And if you can't then maybe it is time to seek help. Who would want to live like that, a slave to an addiction?

geekza

Who would want to live like that, a slave to an addiction?
Nobody. That's why it's an addiction, rather than a hobby. It can be extremely difficult to quit because your body is literally addicted to nicotine and it will drive you to satisfy that need. I know very few smokers who would choose to continue to smoke if they could quit with no side-effects or cravings. It's absolutely right to care and to want people to stop smoking. The best way to channel that, though, is to not shame those who still smoke and to understand and support those who are attempting to quit, because it is hard.

jaklgreen

Nobody. That's why it's an addiction, rather than a hobby. It can be extremely difficult to quit because your body is literally addicted to nicotine and it will drive you to satisfy that need. I know very few smokers who would choose to continue to smoke if they could quit with no side-effects or cravings. It's absolutely right to care and to want people to stop smoking. The best way to channel that, though, is to not shame those who still smoke and to understand and support those who are attempting to quit, because it is hard.

I understand addiction, but my point was that there are many that do not see it as such and think it is a choice. They smoke because they want to and have no desire to quit and do not care if they smoke around others. I have knows/encountered plenty of people who think it is just find and dandy to smoke wherever they want regardless of the rules or who it affects around them. I don't care if you want to smoke, but why is it so hard to not smoke at an entrance to a grocery store, or to not smoke while you are driving around in the summer with the window open so the car behind you gets a face full of smoke through their open window? That is the thing about cigarettes, they have a wide area of affect. This is what I ask of smokers, to just be more aware of where you are smoking and how it is affecting those around you.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’ve seen a lot more people vaping in non-smoking areas. Do you guys feel like they should be forced to go to the smoking location? I’m sort of torn on that one. They shouldn’t be doing it in a building or line, but a vape produces a lot less smell and harmful effects than a regular cigarette.

Its not what we think, the company that runs the Parks classifies them the same as Smoking.... only in the designated areas. While its less impactful on the consumers not having their alveoli pop like little balloons from the heated smoke, the chemical composition of the 2nd hand vapor from the alternative hasnt had any rigorous studies concluding it as harmless.

drod1985

I can sympathize with those with an addiction, as smoking is. But I am one of those whom after breathing in second hand smoke for the first 18 years of my life, have developed a severe allergy to cigarette smoke. I never smoked a day myself but my mom was a chain smoker(and it took her life at 62). It is as if I am an ex-smoker and my body can not handle it anymore. So even walking by a smoking area sets off all kinds of allergic reaction to it. Instant pounding headache, my nose and throat start to close up, eyes start to sting.

Dude, my wife is in the same exact boat. Her Dad smoked as a child, and has since quit. But, possibly as a result, she's basically allergic to cigarette smoke with the same list of symptoms: instant headaches, eye/nose/throat irritation, etc. - it's a major bummer and it's something you have no control over.

I truly feel sorry for anybody with an addiction that is over the age of 30, but not if they're breaking rules and inconveniencing others as a result. If somebody is a respectful smoker then good on you, and I appreciate your consideration.

Patcheslee

I understand addiction, but my point was that there are many that do not see it as such and think it is a choice. They smoke because they want to and have no desire to quit and do not care if they smoke around others. I have knows/encountered plenty of people who think it is just find and dandy to smoke wherever they want regardless of the rules or who it affects around them. I don't care if you want to smoke, but why is it so hard to not smoke at an entrance to a grocery store, or to not smoke while you are driving around in the summer with the window open so the car behind you gets a face full of smoke through their open window? That is the thing about cigarettes, they have a wide area of affect. This is what I ask of smokers, to just be more aware of where you are smoking and how it is affecting those around you.
Smoking in a personal car is still legal around here, is there states that have banned it or what?

LSLS

I DO NOT ADVOCATE SMOKING. I also do not advocate thinking that they are responsible for all the health problems in the world. They primarily are hurting themselves, but, recent social attitudes have convinced more and more to stop smoking, but, they have to make that decision and not based on amateur shaming methods. With this I am done with this discussion, You folks that have judged me as being pro-smoking are as wrong as can be. You don't know the pain that I went through trying to shake the chemical habit and then the physical habit that I don't think ever goes away completely. A little compassion and patience would go a lot further then confrontation. I cannot tell you how many false starts I had over the years to quit, but, you don't care about that. All you care about is that you might get a whiff of smoke, so go on making the decisions that will only prolong the problem, don't listen to someone that has been there.

Most people are not judging you for smoking, or being a former smoker, or whatever here. In fact a lot of people (such as me) somewhat agree with you that banning smoking will just lead to people smoking all over the place. As I said before, it seems a simple balance of setting up areas outside the main paths that smokers can smoke, and non-smokers can easily avoid (which they seem to have done here quite well). You are being judged on your statement that second hand smoke is not harmful.. The WHO data (and I mean data, go click through that link) along with hundreds of peer review articles say you are wrong. Heck you can go find books dedicated to the millions that tobacco spent trying to find some way to disprove it. It is harmful. It does hurt others. Hence why it is in designated locations, and banned in restaurants. You can setup a straw man argument and say that cars emit pollutants, and so does industry, etc. etc., but that doesn't change the fact that second hand smoke is harmful.

DisneyDebRob

How come I can’t not just avoid my opinion on some things. Maybe next time.
I am a caper, a non smoker for 4 years. I also don’t want to go to smoking areas because I don’t want to be there but I go. I also don’t agree with being able to vape on Main Street because people immediately assume it’s smoke and I don’t want anyone getting upset on their vacation.
The easiest solution is to have a few smoking spots OUT of the way of the normal traffic but for some reason Disney keeps picking spots where a lot of people roam. Next to the castle was ridiculous. Disney has hundreds of places out of the way that can be good for smokers and protective of non smokers who don’t want to smell it. On the other hand, I’ve seen Disney move the spots to out of the way places then have people complain that it was their favorite spot that they can’t go to now..
I get allergic reaction to strong perfumes, but I would never tell Disney to ban people from wearing them.
It is legal in designated spots and as long as people use those spots, it works for me.

jaklgreen

Smoking in a personal car is still legal around here, is there states that have banned it or what?

No, I think it is still legal. But that does not mean that it stays in their own car. As someone with a severe allergy to cigarettes, if someone in the car ahead of me or next to me is smoking then I can smell it and it sets off and allergic reaction. So basically I am unable to have my car windows open and always have to have my recirculated air on in my car so no cigarette smoke comes in while I am driving. Most people do not realize that there are plenty of people out there with this issues. At times you feel like a prisoner because I can not go to any outdoor venues because it is legal for people to smoke outside. And like I said, even going to the grocery store is hit and miss because there will be times that someone is walking to/from their car to the entrance still smoking. I just wanted to put it out there that there are those of us that have this severe allergy and we are not just trying to "shame" a smoker, but would just like to be able to do our every day things without having an allergic reaction. My symptoms are getting worse as I age. Just recently my throat started to close up. I might have to start carrying and epi pen if it gets worse. Society is usually really good about allergies like peanuts but no on seems to care about those with cigarette allergies.

Missing20K

First thing I do on my next trip is light one up standing next to the Partners statue in honor of the chainsmoker himself, Big Walt and get a Photopass CM to snap a quick pic. Then jump the fence, shove a cowboy killer in his two fingered point, and run. :hilarious:

jaklgreen

Dude, my wife is in the same exact boat. Her Dad smoked as a child, and has since quit. But, possibly as a result, she's basically allergic to cigarette smoke with the same list of symptoms: instant headaches, eye/nose/throat irritation, etc. - it's a major bummer and it's something you have no control over.

I truly feel sorry for anybody with an addiction that is over the age of 30, but not if they're breaking rules and inconveniencing others as a result. If somebody is a respectful smoker then good on you, and I appreciate your consideration.

Thank you for posting this. I don't think that people are aware of this allergy. I think it is much more prevalent then we know. Just from talking to my allergy doctor, he says that this he is seeing more and more people coming in with this allergy. All we ask is that smokers be mindful of where they smoke. And stay away from places like store entrances and crowded areas.

geekza

no

why spout nonsense as if it's a fact?
From Wikipedia. There are sources linked there.

A smoking ban in cars with children is being tested in the states of Arkansas (<14), California (<18), Louisiana (<13), Maine (<16), Oregon (<18), Puerto Rico (<13), Utah (<15), Vermont (<8), and Virginia (<8).

It is banned in certain counties and cities of Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, New Jersey, New York, Kentucky, and Alabama.

JennSmith

I really think expecting smokers to not smoke in their own car during the summer with their windows down is really ridiculous. I am really allergic to strong perfume and yes, I have smelled it while at a stoplight next to a car that had their windows down. I never would have expected the women to no longer wear such strong perfume in their own cars with their windows down. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely not. But I am not so self centered to expect them to no longer do such a thing because of me.

jaklgreen

I really think expecting smokers to not smoke in their own car during the summer with their windows down is really ridiculous. I am really allergic to strong perfume and yes, I have smelled it while at a stoplight next to a car that had their windows down. I never would have expected the women to no longer wear such strong perfume in their own cars with their windows down. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely not. But I am not so self centered to expect them to no longer do such a thing because of me.

I don't expect it, but just sharing my point of view on how smoking affects me in places most do not even realize. For someone with a severe allergy to cigarette smoke, it is a challenge just going about your normal day like driving to work or going to the store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom