Black Panther

Princess Leia

I was wondering about this as well, but I did find that although is playing at a bunch of IMAX theaters in early September for the Marvel's 10th special where they seem to be playing all the MCU movies, it isn't playing anywhere I can find this weekend.
Ohhhh so that’s what’s going on there. That sounds like a fun concept.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
$16,000 on Friday. Just $15,000 to go. So, probably tonight. Something's goosing the numbers...

1533419737683.png

Lensman

Ohhhh so that’s what’s going on there. That sounds like a fun concept.
$16,000 on Friday. Just $15,000 to go. So, probably tonight. Something's goosing the numbers...

View attachment 300651
I agree that something is amiss at the Circle K.

I'm just not sure that it could be what I said. I don't think they can count advanced sales for future showings in the daily numbers. I'm as curious about these additional 10 theaters where it's showing. There's also the slight mystery of the bump starting on Thursday when there are still only 15 theaters showing. That might be a data error, though.

Ah, I wonder how special events like the following are counted?
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/2018/08/02/film-works-alfresco-black-panther
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/2018/08/04/movies-under-the-stars-black-panther

Note, comments on this Deadline article say:
cadavra said:
No, they just book it into more theatres, usually discount houses. Enough fans will be willing to pay $3 to watch it in a theatre one more time to get it over the finish line. This is nothing new; as one of my former bosses once said many years ago, “You never see a movie ending up with a $99 million gross.”
And Hollywood Reporter is saying that Disney and Marvel have been tweaking the theater count to engineer getting over the $700 million mark.

Last edited:

seascape

View attachment 300651
Yes something is helping with the numbers but Disney isn't saying what. However Disney is reporting that Black Panther will become the third movie to break the 700 million figure this weekend. Congratulations to everyone who worked on this amazing movie and thank you to everyone who saw it.

Princess Leia

I agree that something is amiss at the Circle K.

I'm just not sure that it could be what I said. I don't think they can count advanced sales for future showings in the daily numbers. I'm as curious about these additional 10 theaters where it's showing. There's also the slight mystery of the bump starting on Thursday when there are still only 15 theaters showing. That might be a data error, though.

Ah, I wonder how special events like the following are counted?
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/2018/08/02/film-works-alfresco-black-panther
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/2018/08/04/movies-under-the-stars-black-panther

Note, comments on this Deadline article say:

And Hollywood Reporter is saying that Disney and Marvel have been tweaking the theater count to engineer getting over the $700 million mark.
If it’s true, that is super sketchy. I’m sure the IMAX count would get it over, but I don’t think they can truly count it at this time.

Edit- for some reason I read that as Marvel and Disney tweaking the amount of money raised. My mistake :oops:

Last edited:

Princess Leia

So not only did the movie pass $700M (though I’m questioning that number- it has to be IMAX presales, right?), but it’s the longest running film of 2018.

Lensman

I think they must have added on some discount 2nd run movie theaters this week. I couldn't find any, though.

That one theater in Providence, RI that @seascape found is selling tickets for $3.

I'm also interested to see what the actuals will look like. Currently we're only seeing that $12,594 actual from Thursday that we all find suspicious.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I think they must have added on some discount 2nd run movie theaters this week. I couldn't find any, though.

That one theater in Providence, RI that @seascape found is selling tickets for $3.

I'm also interested to see what the actuals will look like. Currently we're only seeing that $12,594 actual from Thursday that we all find suspicious.

I've always suspected Box Office Mojo was part of the Illuminati!!!

Princess Leia

I appreciate that we all came to the same conclusion about these numbers. I want this movie to reach $700m, don’t get me wrong, but something just does not add up here.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The comments on Deadline propose that Disney linked BP as a double feature with Christopher Robin to put it over. However, no one has provided proof of that happening, and if it did, it would have likely thrown off the theater count.

Others claim that Disney booked private screenings. This seems the most likely.

WhatJaneSays

So, a slight bit of asking around and I think I may have the real reasoning behind the spike without the increase in theaters.

The consensus is: these numbers do NOT contain the IMAX pre-sales, nor does it seem Disney buyout private shows themselves, however it seems like there was a campaign offering some benefits for summer camps, youth organizations, and the like to go see the movie.

I know in the past Disney had made offers to supplement these kinds of things, paying for buses, concessions, and dropping distribution costs for theaters. It seems like they may have done something similar in this case.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It all goes to show... be careful what you read from the numbers - they are not always as a transparent as you may wish them to be.

Princess Leia

So, a slight bit of asking around and I think I may have the real reasoning behind the spike without the increase in theaters.

The consensus is: these numbers do NOT contain the IMAX pre-sales, nor does it seem Disney buyout private shows themselves, however it seems like there was a campaign offering some benefits for summer camps, youth organizations, and the like to go see the movie.

I know in the past Disney had made offers to supplement these kinds of things, paying for buses, concessions, and dropping distribution costs for theaters. It seems like they may have done something similar in this case.
So Disney is probably making very little money off of this.

In other news, this seems like an easy way to get Black Panther some Oscar gold
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/entertainment/academy-popular-film-category/index.html

WhatJaneSays

It all goes to show... be careful what you read from the numbers - they are not always as a transparent as you may wish them to be.

Yeah ... with the weekday numbers coming in higher than the weekend numbers I'm thinking the whole summer camp push is likely correct. I get it. It's a mutually beneficial situation; Disney gets their 700m without straight up buying tickets and programs that might not have the funds to go otherwise get a chance to see it. So I have to call it well played.

Lensman

@Rodan75 in this post, referenced an article that revealed that Disney pushed A Wrinkle in Time into drive-ins as the second feature in order to get it over the $100 million mark.

So that could be another mechanism that Disney uses.

Aha! I found this: https://reelplan.ticketleap.com/umdi2018/details
Union Market website said:
Black Panther -- Friday, August 3
T'Challa, the King of Wakanda, rises to the throne in the isolated, technologically advanced African nation, but his claim is challenged by a vengeful outsider who was a childhood victim of T'Challa's father's mistake.
-- Rated PG-13 — 2h 14min — Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
-- Lot opens 6:00, Lot closes promptly at 8:15, Film begins 8:45, Film ends at 11:00
-- THE PARKING SPACES ARE SOLD OUT. We encourage you to park elsewhere and picnic in front of the building/screen.
Union Market website said:
$10 parking fee per car
One parking fee covers everyone in the car. Advance purchase is highly recommended.
"Sold Out" means that all 175 parking spaces have been reserved. Spaces may be available 5 minutes beore the lot closes.
So that's $1750 from one drive-in showing, accounting for 11% of the $15,389 gross for that day.

I found another event rental in Austin for Friday, Aug 3rd. As I said in my earlier post, I'm not sure if these count toward box office.
https://do512.com/events/2018/8/3/movies-in-the-east-black-panther

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom