1902 Carthay Circle

Suchomimus

Well, there's a lot to unpack here. But because I have a lot of time on my hands, I'll throw some ideas and comments onto the table.

1. I am concernicus about using LOTR. Frankly, it should probably get its own land, if not an entire theme park to itself, considering how vast and amazing it is. If we're talking realism here, then the films would likely be a major source and then there's the licensing, and Warner Bros./New Line/Peter Jackson. Idea wise - I'd base a land on The Hobbit, as that has a "smaller" setting and could encompass the Shire, Mirkwood, and the Lonely Mountain (with a mine cart coaster inside).
Frankly it shouldn’t be in a Disney Park.

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
According to http://www.cbooo.cn/Alltimedomestic , the highest Disney movie box office performance in Hong Kong & China are:

1) Avengers: Infinity War
2) Zootopia
3) Avengers: Age of Ultron
4) Avatar
5) Captain America: Civil War
6) Coco
7) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Coco and Pirates can be used in the Latin American Area of the Park. The Marvel Ones would already be present in DL, which leaves Zootopia and Avatar, and I’m honestly not sure how we can use them

D Hulk

Coco and Pirates can be used in the Latin American Area of the Park. The Marvel Ones would already be present in DL, which leaves Zootopia and Avatar, and I’m honestly not sure how we can use them
Could we use Zootopia in a parade or show context? The animals don't fit real world settings, but they're still great representatives of our natural/cultural concept.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Could we use Zootopia in a parade or show context? The animals don't fit real world settings, but they're still great representatives of our natural/cultural concept.
I could see Zootopia working well as our version of yhe Wilderness Explorers or Agent P's World Showcase Adventure.

Join the ZPD to solve one of a few cases that involve different interactive games and effects that are fun and tell about real world cultures and animals in subtle ways.

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
I could see Zootopia working well as our version of yhe Wilderness Explorers or Agent P's World Showcase Adventure.

Join the ZPD to solve one of a few cases that involve different interactive games and effects that are fun and tell about real world cultures and animals in subtle ways.
That could also work, they have a passport or something like that, and those who win meet Judy and Nick, who give them a Badge as official members of the ZPD?

DlpPhantom

I’m sure that @mickeyfan5534 could come up with an interesting context for the Parade and Show!
That could also work, they have a passport or something like that, and those who win meet Judy and Nick, who give them a Badge as official members of the ZPD?
I like this idea as neither Hong Kong or Shanghai Disneyland has anything like an interactive game. The only problem would be if we decided to do Star Wars Land levels of immersion. Having anthropomorphic animals would kind of break the immersion.

mickeyfan5534

We’re discussing the idea of the show and the parade. And I’m sure you could come up with great ideas!
For a mythology/folklore park? Here’s one of my more out of the box ideas:
Once Upon a Time (as in the show at MK and Tokyo) done as a harbor show, because I assume that’s going to be the thing.

Another idea: centering the park around a main “Storyteller” character who sends people into the worlds of folklore and fantasy. A Merlin type but younger and older at the same time.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, for Europe. I got some thoughts.

Lord of the Rings/Hobbit feels too big for just one part of one land of a park. Plus, the visuals of Middle Earth are so tied to New Zealand that having it be in Europe (despite being British literature tied to British sensibilities and legends) feels like it would clash.

I say we cut Middle Earth. Possibly if there is interest make a separate thread to brainstorm a Middle Earth land or park separate from the Hong Kong Second Gate. Tied to a Studios park or Universal or even just an independent thing.

My thought of what Europe should be: High Fantasy Beastly Kingdomme and Greek Harbor.

Beastly Kingdom with dragons and King Arthur. Maybe Robin Hood or Brave. Maybe Oberon and Titania and Puck from Midsummer Night's Dream as part of the story of the land. Have some centaurs or similar creatures that feature in both Greek Mythology and high fantasy legends to transition from the woods and ruins of Beastly Kingdom to...

Greek Harbor. A labrynth maze/walkthrough. Greek mythology stuff. Probably a show. Maybe Disney's Hercules or Percy Jackson, or possibly IP free. Maybe connect it to an indoor Atlantis land.

Focus on those two lands that combine naturalistic beautiful environments and famous/interesting myths and legends. Opportunities for Disney IPs or nonIP attractions. Downside is that it doesn't reall lend itself to animal exhibits, but there should be plenty of room in other sections of the park for animals.

What do you guys think? How does this sound for Europe? Things to cut, things to add?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I like this idea as neither Hong Kong or Shanghai Disneyland has anything like an interactive game. The only problem would be if we decided to do Star Wars Land levels of immersion. Having anthropomorphic animals would kind of break the immersion.
I'd think the meets would be inside a building to keep it separate.

Like, Nick and Judy are here on an international investigation tracking down some Zootopia fugitives. Setting up a temporary base of operations in the local law enforcement officer.

That gives then a reason to be in any oand we want practically, but also keeps them separate enough that it wont clash with the more immersive lands any more than Agent P clashes with the world showcase

spacemt354

Chili's
Crazy idea - but what if we focus on non-IP original concepts first and then branch out into IPs that can blend into the lands. While I do like what Disney has put out recently, I long for the days of a Tomorrowland or a Frontierland where there could be multiple properties within one land. Nowadays, it's Star Wars Land or Cars Land or Pandora, etc -- so what if we took a page out of the classic imagineering and focused on world building first then IP insertion?

Suchomimus

Crazy idea - but what if we focus on non-IP original concepts first and then branch out into IPs that can blend into the lands. While I do like what Disney has put out recently, I long for the days of a Tomorrowland or a Frontierland where there could be multiple properties within one land. Nowadays, it's Star Wars Land or Cars Land or Pandora, etc -- so what if we took a page out of the classic imagineering and focused on world building first then IP insertion?
If we’re going to go the creative mile, can we have a Davis style attraction?

D Hulk

It seems like there are two different versions of this park which we're discussing.

One is fully dedicated to ideas like myth. In this version, there is an entire UK land dedicated to Beastlie Creatures and Arthurian Myth, plus an entire separate Greek Myth land. All settings are inherently fantastical and require complete immersion.

Another idea is a "World Showcase meets Animal Kingdom" style exploration of the world's cultural and natural wonders. Myth remains an aspect of this park, however it is found exclusively within attractions. Exteriors reflect real world settings, with a transitional flow from nation to nation as was planned for WestCOT:
85461a837201a210131ecc903728de7b--disneyland-vintage-disney-attractions.jpg

India, Thailand and Vietnam are visible at once but blended thoughtfully. Directly to the right you would transition into China, and then Japan afterwards.

I support this latter approach. IPs fit as needed within realistic exterior structures, plus there's plenty of opportunity for original creations everywhere...with nothing clashing! Perhaps seeing et and the Taj Mahal simultaneously isn't "immersive," but realistic detailing a-la DAK can make a charming setting nonetheless.

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
For Europe, I’m going to suggest a roller coaster or some kind of thrill ride about Y Ddraig Goch or the Red Dragon of Wales and a slow moving boat ride going through scenic Europe.
Maybe a boat ride where you meet Nessie? An inverted Coaster themed around a Dragon, an Arthurian Trackless Dark Ride, and Merida’s Scary Adventures? Then Greece can have a Hercules Whip, a Show, and a Labyrinth like Pi suggested?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom