News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

TT imo does a good job with set up. Designing a car is awesome. Soarin is a different story. There's just not much to do with an airport theme. They did good with the trivia game and the blue lighting. But there's not much else they could've done.

Sure they could have. Both could be much richer experiences. Test Track is "fine" but both Test Track and Soarin' should be a dedication to the evolution of what they represent. The set up is you are visiting an airline hangar designed to be a museum and then you race off on a fun flight over the world. In Test Track you walk through and see the evolution of the automobile before designing your car and zipping off on a fun jaunt around a track.

Yes both work just fine, they have OK set ups. Test Track is better than Soarin. I get what you're saying about Soarin, what I'm saying is it should have been more of an "experience" (think Soarin's set up at Grizzly Peak, we should have had "Velocity Flats Airfield", all you need is a queue that has planes on display and gives nods to those who contributed to flight). Does that make sense? Again, both work fine as is, I just wish they were a more complete experience. I want more from both, not that they're not fine. I like them both and think they fit Epcot but I think they could have mixed the edutainment of Epcot Center with the thrill of Epcot.

Just thinking of ways to make something even better, not that they're not OK as-is and both are fitting of Epcot. I just wish they had a little more to them (which doesn't mean that I think they're bad by any means; they're not)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
3 movies over 20some years. All at least good. The first and last both pretty well liked. Receiving another movie I the universe will a similar set up but doing it's I unique thing with it about 6-7 years after the last one.

That's not really beating a dead horse. You may dislike MiB as a series or the idea of a spin off or Sony as a studio (literally the worst studio). And I can't fault you for that. But how do you think this is beating a dead horse?
Oh I really enjoyed the first 2, its just a stretch to keep that franchise going, but that might stem from my overall dislike of Franchises haha

Cmdr_Crimson

It's really going to be a wonder to watch how all of these switches, backward launch, and drop tracks work. There's a lot of moving parts and I imagine that it'd be fun to watch it all coordinate with each other.

Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a drop track as one leaves the next train is launching into the show building..

trainplane3

Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a drop track as one leaves the next train is launching into the show building..

True but this is a bit more involved then Verbolten. This has switches before the drop track along with a reverse launch vs Verboltens single drop. There's a lot of moving parts for a coaster: 2 switches, drop track, launches, reverse section.
Can someone tell me what a "drop track" is? I'm assuming its the same thing they use in Gringotts?
It's exactly as it sounds. It's a section of track that drops straight down.
Go to 1:45 and look at the black and white monitor:

Last edited:

rreading

Not all that tricky, in sum.

If the best part of the attraction is the queue, the ride itself may end up a waste of time. Why bother with getting strapped/harnessed into some middling roller coaster when the fun stuff is mainly while you're waiting in line? For that matter, why bother with a ride at all if the good use of money is on queue development and details? (Hell, that could even become... a pavilion. In Epcot. Horrors!)

People *expecting* a ride doesn't mean a whole lot, if the ride ends up being a letdown after a really well done queue.

Sure but if the nature of the ride itself is a 90-180 sec roller coaster thrill experience, having some entertainment to the queue can make it a more well-rounded experience. Similar to TOT, in which the thrill of the experience is brief, but the build up is a good bit of the fun. Indeed, for that ride, where does the experience begin -at the television screen or boarding the elevator?

DreamfinderGuy

To be fair, the queue is where you will be spending 90% of the time on almost any attraction, so a well themed queue does add a lot to the experience.
Funny, I actually spent over 90% of my time on ride for Energy. If you're late to the pre show there was literally no wait at all. That being said, I was only late to the pre show once or twice :p

rle4lunch

Sure but if the nature of the ride itself is a 90-180 sec roller coaster thrill experience, having some entertainment to the queue can make it a more well-rounded experience. Similar to TOT, in which the thrill of the experience is brief, but the build up is a good bit of the fun. Indeed, for that ride, where does the experience begin -at the television screen or boarding the elevator?

First thing that pops to mind in recent memory is Avatar FoP. The queue and preshow lend to the overall experience. As i've said before, there's tinges of old EPCOT attractions in that ride, which almost make up for the ridiculously short ride time of it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The experience begins on Sunset. It’s enhanced and advanced on until loading.

Then the ride exceeds everything that came before. Perfect.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

True but this is a bit more involved then Verbolten. This has switches before the drop track along with a reverse launch vs Verboltens single drop. There's a lot of moving parts for a coaster: 2 switches, drop track, launches, reverse section.

It's exactly as it sounds. It's a section of track that drops straight down.
Go to 1:45 and look at the black and white monitor:

Three switches. One at the spike and then one on each level of the drop building.

V_L_Raptor

I'm cynical enough not to call it "well-rounded." If I have to wait in line for an hour or more to get thrown around for those 90-180 seconds, there had better be something in the queue to make that time better than wasted. I've had more than enough experiences of long switchbacks in warehouses, thanks. If I go through the queue and see a lot of really neat stuff and hear a well done voice track and see some awesome animatronics, and then I'm essentially riding Anaheim's Space Mountain? Ha. Ha-ha. I'd rather the queue be a walk-in attraction I can enjoy for as long as I like while all the other shlubs go get their G's on.

If it's all one continuous experience, that's great. ToT has that, because there's actual material in the ride itself, as opposed to a huge buildup and then a nondescript thrill ride. Not everything proceeds the same way Tower of Terror does, and you know that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Mission Breakout! uses a parallax effect with the drops, I’m wondering if a controlled view coaster could also utlilize a similar technique to deliver projections with perceived depth.

There's a limit to how well the effect works with views from a wide angle. In M:B, the effect is all up and down bouncy and not side to side. I would imagine that the way a coaster train is spread out, it would be difficult to do a proper side-to-side FX, and the track presumably doesn't bounce up and down.

matt9112

Sure they could have. Both could be much richer experiences. Test Track is "fine" but both Test Track and Soarin' should be a dedication to the evolution of what they represent. The set up is you are visiting an airline hangar designed to be a museum and then you race off on a fun flight over the world. In Test Track you walk through and see the evolution of the automobile before designing your car and zipping off on a fun jaunt around a track.

Yes both work just fine, they have OK set ups. Test Track is better than Soarin. I get what you're saying about Soarin, what I'm saying is it should have been more of an "experience" (think Soarin's set up at Grizzly Peak, we should have had "Velocity Flats Airfield", all you need is a queue that has planes on display and gives nods to those who contributed to flight). Does that make sense? Again, both work fine as is, I just wish they were a more complete experience. I want more from both, not that they're not fine. I like them both and think they fit Epcot but I think they could have mixed the edutainment of Epcot Center with the thrill of Epcot.

Just thinking of ways to make something even better, not that they're not OK as-is and both are fitting of Epcot. I just wish they had a little more to them (which doesn't mean that I think they're bad by any means; they're not)

epcot has none of the story telling aspect of soaring....

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
From the sounds of things, Tower of Terror is probably a pretty good indication of what this ride experience will be like.

Very good queue and atmosphere leading to the ride itself. The ride itself will feature some cool but probably simple dark ride elements with the bulk of the experience essentially just being a fancy version of a carnival thrill ride mostly in a dark, lightly themed environment ending up back in the same well themed immersive environment as the queue.

Am I too far off?

If I'm right, I personally think this sounds like it will be quite the ride.

They did a good job fitting Avatar perfectly into Animal Kingdom by focusing in on the study of keystone species and animal behaviors on Pandora. So, I'm not gonna rule out the possibility of WDI finding a way to fit GotG in Epcot decently. But it doesn't seem like an obvious fit. Though the ride should be pretty good if you can ignore the park it is in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom