News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

geekza

I'm with everyone who says that a queue should never outshine the attraction it serves. Don't misunderstand me; Disney's move to interactive queues is a welcome evolution of the theme park experience. I always enjoyed Peter Pan's Flight, but waiting forever in a generic switchback made the already-short ride time more of a letdown. The new queue is wonderful and really builds anticipation for the moment when you "take off." It augments an already-wonderful attraction.

The wait had better be worth the build-up, though, and Disney is already starting at a deficit because older Disney fans will be aware the entire time that we're waiting in a queue located in the shell of a building that once held a room full of amazing dinosaurs. This is the attraction that, once and for all, puts the nail in the coffin of OG Future World. If the final ride isn't something worthy of the destruction of its predecessor, the ill will that is generated will last for years. I'm not going to judge the attraction before it's open and I, hopefully, get to experience it. I really hope it is something special and unique. It just has a lot going against it before it even opens.

MagicJack78

I just don't see that happening. It is one of the most iconic attractions in the world.
Yes, but they are also opening new parks with Tron in lieu of Space Mountain.
At some point, the Orlando Space mountain will need a major refurbishment. I can see corporate thinking that they have two similar rides at the parks already. I can also see them asking, "Why are we spending tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to provide further duplication?" Just a thought.

geekza

Yes, but they are also opening new parks with Tron in lieu of Space Mountain.
At some point, the Orlando Space mountain will need a major refurbishment. I can see corporate thinking that they have two similar rides at the parks already. I can also see them asking, "Why are we spending tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to provide further duplication?" Just a thought.
I agree. Very little is sacred when it comes to the parks. I think the decision to close certain things would be harder to justify in the court of public opinion, but there are ways of influencing people's opinions to steer them in the direction you want them to go. Yes, Space Mountain is iconic, but the WDW version has already been left to stagnate while the DL one has had several upgrades. If they let it continue to sit and then really cut back on maintenance, people who are experiencing it for the first time say, "I don't get the hype. This ride was dumb, dirty and rough." Eventually, those people outnumber the older folks who love Space Mountain and want it to have the upkeep and improvements it needs. Once that happens, Disney has a much easier time when they announce that they're closing it. A small percentage of the Old Fogeys will shout to the rooftops, but everyone else will just be hyped for whatever Thor and Elsa's Rip-Roarin' Space Hypercoaster is announced. Crowds will increase for the last couple of weeks, 10,000 videos will be posted on YouTube shouting LAST RIDE ON SPACE MOUNTAIN EVAR!, and then it will be gone. The old farts who complain will be told to get with the times, Space Mountain always sucked, just stop going, etc., etc., and the cycle continues.

Don't ever assume anything is safe.

Dunston

Thank you.

There's a lot that needs updating. I know they'll get around to it and their focus is on the third theme park (sorry folks, Volcano Bay wasn't their "third gate", it was a nicely done water theme park, it's not the same as a regular park in my eyes). That's the problem when you have mostly 3D attractions. They ultimately get dated. While easy and fun at the time, they're now in a situation, where, honestly, the entire side from Shrek to Men in Black needs an overhaul. Many many people are not happy about all the screens. I know that stigma will lessen in the future but those attractions aren't open yet.

Universal could really use several varying dark rides. Why not a Shrek dark ride in the theater? Put Kung Fu in Terminator (sorry, I know Bourne made a lot of money but, people, it's like Fallon: WHY?). When The Simpsons get dumped (and they will, maybe not soon but they will) moved Despicable Me there, turn Springfield into Silly Fun Land and put a dark ride with Minions in MIB. They really need to focus on some mini-lands with solid attractions. I'm hopeful that's the plan in the future. They really have a lot of work to do in the Studios, IMO. Sure a lot of it can wait but there's a lot to do.

BOTH Fallon and Supercharged were not necessary. I'd begrudge Supercharged less if it were actually good (friends of mine hated it and are tired of the screens at universal, they want to actually go somewhere)
Replacing Springfield and Men in Black are bad ideas.

180º

It’s not ceding, but a deliberate operational choice and objective. Disney wants attractions per guest per hour to be as low as possible and they have been very successful in convincing people that this is a good thing.
Then again, rumor has it Team Disney Anaheim will not stand for low capacity headliners anymore and delayed Marvel land so that WDI could address this.

MagicJack78

It's really going to be a wonder to watch how all of these switches, backward launch, and drop tracks work. There's a lot of moving parts and I imagine that it'd be fun to watch it all coordinate with each other.

With the complexity of this attraction, time frame they are trying to get it done in and recent history of attractions, I feel like this attraction is either going to be the most technological feel pulled off or its going to be a complete disaster.
With Universal promising more than what its been able to deliver lately consider me a skeptic.
with that being said I'm excited for the potential of this ride.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Talk about beating a dead horse, that just need to end that franchise already.
3 movies over 20some years. All at least good. The first and last both pretty well liked. Receiving another movie I the universe will a similar set up but doing it's I unique thing with it about 6-7 years after the last one.

That's not really beating a dead horse. You may dislike MiB as a series or the idea of a spin off or Sony as a studio (literally the worst studio). And I can't fault you for that. But how do you think this is beating a dead horse?

Kman101

but no disney ride features something i drive every day....soooo soft spot kudos. i dont find men in black that bad a refresh top to bottom would do wonders. im not buying into Simpsons taking a hike anytime that can be remotely called soon. its not just a ride its a mini land and trust me im not a fan i hate the ride. production central IMHO needs the most work. (shrek replacement) and like you said minions need a mini land. park also lacks small kid oriented rides period. kidzone is a dated relic of kids crap stuck in the corner like its in a time out.

They're the least of the problems of course (MIB and Simpsons). Not saying they need to go like tomorrow. They have some years left in them. But the entire area needs a DCA style overhaul. I know some think Universal is just perfect but if I were to armchair, and that's all this is, .... there's a lot that needs to and eventually will need to get done. I'm not saying anything they probably already haven't discussed.

And Disney buying Fox has no bearing on me saying the Simpsons will go. Of course they will. Someday. Not saying within the next five-ten years, but with Universal, you never know. The problem is 3D attractions just ultimately feel dated after a while. I actually like The Simpsons but I'm ready to move on. The Simpsons land is mostly facades. A switch to Despicable Me isn't hard and basically writes itself (and Despicable Me could use the Simpsons ride for it's ride because it would better suit it's popularity, then you put a ride featuring Minions in MIB (I'd have preferred Ghostbusters but I get they want to use properties they own) and you have a family land, boom. It's just a matter of taking an effort to do it and I'm sure we'll see Universal and Islands get some attention once the third park opens. But they really should be doing more than worrying about getting Fallon and Supercharged into their parks. Fallon really irritates me because they knew the criticism of screen attractions and they still greenlit and went with both. You didn't need both.

I'm just impatient and wish they'd overhaul a lot of things. Are they "priorities"? Are they "problems"? Not really (well, KidZone is) but it's just fun to imagine what they will do, as they're more willing to make big changes.

I know some think the park is perfect but it never hurts to dream of change. It never hurts to want it to be even better. I think the Studios would vastly benefit from mini lands based around popular properties, and they really need more dark rides besides Transformers, which, again, you need glasses for.

Kman101

Then again, rumor has it Team Disney Anaheim will not stand for low capacity headliners anymore and delayed Marvel land so that WDI could address this.

That would be a beautiful thing if true. They have to understand the capacity problem. And the lack of shade. At least they build benches again.

Kman101

Replacing Springfield and Men in Black are bad ideas.

Not really. I get you like them. But the park needs an overhaul. I know it's hard to hear. They aren't priorities by any stretch of the means. I'm talking 10-15 years out at the most. It's not like they would, or should, replace them tomorrow, LOL.

People are so quick to jump to Universal's defense. I'm really not knocking it. It's just wishful thinking and thinking ahead, we know they replace. Let's not pretend Simpsons and MIB are immune to this. Just because I mention replacements doesn't mean I want them tomorrow lol. It's called thinking far out and looking for where they can ultimately improve things and do it better. If you love something, don't you want it to be the absolute best? Let's not pretend they don't have work to do at the Studios. But I get the third park is a higher priority.

Kman101

I'm all for immersive queues but the attraction should be the spotlight. The attraction shouldn't be less than two minutes of flying past screens or plywood cutouts for the price that they're reportedly paying. I don't care how good the queue is if the attraction is short, boring and has nothing special.

I think this is my ultimate problem with Test Track and Soarin'. I know people love the Puddy Safety Spiel but both rides lack a true set up. They're fine as is, of course, they're fun, but if you think about it, one of their biggest faults is they were replacements and not expansions of their pavilions (well Soarin' is to a degree). I'm talking about their own entrances with their own Disney-fied queue and pre-show. Both would benefit immensely if they even tried to make it feel Epcot-ish (the new Test Track is close but it's just designing a car, which again, is fine but there's no real set up). They could be modern yet still tied to the progression of flight and the automobile. It'd be a much fuller and richer experience. This is where a good queue and pre-show comes into play. You get a feel of Epcot and you get a thrill. We're all winners. But, no. They look for quick fixes. I don't love Mission: Space but it ticks off the boxes nicely. Decent set up and a fun zippy ride. I begrudge it because it wasn't an expansion and instead was a replacement, but I think it actually fits Epcot well.

EricsBiscuit

I think this is my ultimate problem with Test Track and Soarin'. I know people love the Puddy Safety Spiel but both rides lack a true set up. They're fine as is, of course, they're fun, but if you think about it, one of their biggest faults is they were replacements and not expansions of their pavilions (well Soarin' is to a degree). I'm talking about their own entrances with their own Disney-fied queue and pre-show. Both would benefit immensely if they even tried to make it feel Epcot-ish (the new Test Track is close but it's just designing a car, which again, is fine but there's no real set up). They could be modern yet still tied to the progression of flight and the automobile. It'd be a much fuller and richer experience. This is where a good queue and pre-show comes into play. You get a feel of Epcot and you get a thrill. We're all winners. But, no. They look for quick fixes.
TT imo does a good job with set up. Designing a car is awesome. Soarin is a different story. There's just not much to do with an airport theme. They did good with the trivia game and the blue lighting. But there's not much else they could've done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom