Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

ThemeParkTraveller

I’ll have the indy ride over a splash any day of the week here in europe. We really don’t have that much nice weather to get soaked. Indy I can do 365 days of the year. It’s such an exiting ride and the europeans would love it!

Assuming it gets approved, I hope that DLP's version is not a direct clone of the DL or TDS version. There's so much they can do with the jeep in a temple theme without reusing the same order of show scenes. The rolling boulder finale is arguably the only scene that is integral to the ride.

JohnyKaz2078

I’ll have the indy ride over a splash any day of the week here in europe. We really don’t have that much nice weather to get soaked. Indy I can do 365 days of the year. It’s such an exiting ride and the europeans would love it!

Yeah that's accurate. Splash Mountain was originally planned for DLP but it was abandoned due to budget cuts and the cold weather of Paris.

JohnyKaz2078

I think they could just reduce how much guests get wet if they're worried about the climate. TDL managed to make Splash Mountain work even with the cold and occasionally snowy winters in Tokyo.

Paris has much colder winters than Tokyo (that isn't to say that Tokyo isn't cold during the same time of the year). The lowest recorded temperature in Paris is -24C (-11F) while Tokyo's is -9C (15F). Paris also sees temperatures below 0C (32F) many times during the year while Tokyo doesn't. That could cause the water in Splash Mountain to freeze, unless it was heated in some way. An alternative would be to close it during the winter which is a waste of potential and money.

Jungle Cruise was also abandoned in DLP due to the same reasons. In fact, the entire resort DOESN'T HAVE A SINGLE RIDE THAT GETS YOU WET. That's because of the cold winters.

AndyS2992

Jungle Cruise was also abandoned in DLP due to the same reasons.
Yes, though it was more the language barrier given guests at DLP speak English, French, Spanish, Italian and German and so can't accommodate everyone easily and it takes up a lot of space and if the tours were only in French then the jokes would be lost on most people and they are typically the main part of the Jungle Cruise experience.

Robbiem

I think Indiana Jones Adventure would be a great addition in Paris but i would put the ride in the studios park on one of the lake expansion plots and make more of an indy land along the lines of the lost river delta in Tokyo Disneysea. A temple walkthrough attraction, dig site playground, shops and dining would make a nice addition to that park.

Moana would be a good fit for Adventureland and im sure that they could design a ride suited for the cold climate of the resort, or some sort of volcano themed ride like journey to the centre of the earth or the fire mountain coaster planned for magic Kingdom would be a good addition

JohnyKaz2078

Yes, though it was more the language barrier given guests at DLP speak English, French, Spanish, Italian and German and so can't accommodate everyone easily and it takes up a lot of space and if the tours were only in French then the jokes would be lost on most people and they are typically the main part of the Jungle Cruise experience.

They could have made something like the Jungle Cruise in HKDL. It has different boats with skippers that speak English, Mandarin and Cantonese. The same could happen with DLP with different boats for French, English or any other language.

Robbiem

They could have made something like the Jungle Cruise in HKDL. It has different boats with skippers that speak English, Mandarin and Cantonese. The same could happen with DLP with different boats for French, English or any other language.

the tram tour at the studios had several languages when I visited, I heard an interview with Tony Baxter which said one reason why they didnt do jungle cruise in Paris was that there were already versions of it at existing European parks

fradz

What other plans are in competition for Adventureland spot?
A Moana Water-Coaster & a Log Flume with unknown theme

Indy is favorite, by the way. But things can always change until construction actually starts (see: the MK Theater that got cancelled, even after it was officially announced). Note that this spot is very large, and while there were plans previously released for the exact location of Indy Adventure, it does not "block" other projects to happen later on.

What kind of timeline are we looking at regarding expansion at DLP after the works at WDSP are completed?
So far, we have the temporary show Philharmagic for the Discoveryland Theater announced for October this year.
2023 would be for the Adventureland ride. After that, it's very much unknown.

JohnyKaz2078

So far, we have the temporary show Philharmagic for the Discoveryland Theater announced for October this year.
2023 would be for the Adventureland ride. After that, it's very much unknown.

Woah that's a long time. And that's not good. WDS isn't the only park that needs more rides.

Due to financial problems the Disneyland Park's attraction lineup is not what it should be. The park is magnificent but it needs something new. The last E-Ticket ride added to the park was Space Mountain in 1994 (!!!). Its current ride count is 19 (2 and 3 more than Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland respectively), which is far behind Magic Kingdom's 23, Tokyo Disneyland's 26 and Disneyland's 34.

The Imagineers are correct to believe that the Adventureland/Frontierland side of the park is in the most need. I just really hope that they don't remove the Temple of Peril rollercoaster, but make something better out of it in addition to the new ride.

Fantasyland also needs something new. I believe that Matterhorn Bobsleds and a Little Mermaid were originally designed to be built behind the Mickey Mouse meet n' greet and opposite Pizzeria Bella Note respectively but were abandoned due to low budget. No this expansion pads sit vacant.

fradz

Woah that's a long time. And that's not good. WDS isn't the only park that needs more rides.

Due to financial problems the Disneyland Park's attraction lineup is not what it should be. The park is magnificent but it needs something new. The last E-Ticket ride added to the park was Space Mountain in 1994 (!!!). Its current ride count is 19 (2 and 3 more than Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland respectively), which is far behind Magic Kingdom's 23, Tokyo Disneyland's 26 and Disneyland's 34.

The Imagineers are correct to believe that the Adventureland/Frontierland side of the park is in the most need. I just really hope that they don't remove the Temple of Peril rollercoaster, but make something better out of it in addition to the new ride.

Fantasyland also needs something new. I believe that Matterhorn Bobsleds and a Little Mermaid were originally designed to be built behind the Mickey Mouse meet n' greet and opposite Pizzeria Bella Note respectively but were abandoned due to low budget. No this expansion pads sit vacant.
Yes; there are still many expansion pads available in the park. If there is interest, I can try to find some old maps that I have in store (or create a new one) with all expansion pads in DLP.
Im surprised that something isn’t planned for the 30th anniversary in 2022 rather than 2023
From what I've heard, they'd try to open some of the new stuff in the WDSP for 2022. For multiple reasons, 2022 wouldn't work for the Adventureland ride

PorterRedkey

Yes; there are still many expansion pads available in the park. If there is interest, I can try to find some old maps that I have in store (or create a new one) with all expansion pads in DLP.

From what I've heard, they'd try to open some of the new stuff in the WDSP for 2022. For multiple reasons, 2022 wouldn't work for the Adventureland ride
I would be interested in the expansion pad map! If it is not too much trouble.

Thanks for the earlier reply. I am really excited to walk around in Parc Disneyland in a little over a week. The park looks beautiful!

ThemeParkTraveller

I agree that the park has a lot of catching up to do. In addition, I would like to see DLP get something that isn't just a clone from another park. WDSP got Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille (to be cloned at Epcot in 2021 but was unique at the time). DLP should have some exclusive attractions of its own too to make it stand out from the other castle parks. The Moana water coaster sounds more interesting to me even with all the challenges it faces due to the climate.

JohnyKaz2078

That would be good thanks!
I agree that the park has a lot of catching up to do. In addition, I would like to see DLP get something that isn't just a clone from another park. WDSP got Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille (to be cloned at Epcot in 2021 but was unique at the time). DLP should have some exclusive attractions of its own too to make it stand out from the other castle parks. The Moana water coaster sounds more interesting to me even with all the challenges it faces due to the climate.

Well Disneyland Paris doesn't unfortunately belong to the OLC company so there isn't much anticipation of original attractions. I would really like to see a Moana watercoaster but I still don't want the Indiana Jones ride to go away. Also a Beauty and the Beast dark ride would be good (I know there is one already planned for TDL) since the movie itself is set in a french village.

IMDREW

I’d love the tangled boatride coming to TDR for a fantasyland expansion in DLP. I think Rapunzel would fit beautifully in this park.

Also, is there anything planned for the Hyperion in tomorrowland? It feels really really empty in there. A new show would be good. @fradz IMHO the empty Hyperion is one of the worst parts of DLP right now. And its such a beautiful space.

Anyone know why the lion king show (from a couple years back) ran for such a short time? It was a really good show! And still have fond memories of the Mulan show there as well. Kinda weird they’re building a new lion king show for the Chaparelle theater in frontierland while they still have the set at the Hyperion...

(EDIT; I mean in Discoveryland, not Tomorrowland :banghead:)

Last edited:

JohnyKaz2078

I’d love the tangled boatride coming to TDR for a fantasyland expansion in DLP. I think Rapunzel would fit beautifully in this park.

Also, is there anything planned for the Hyperion in tomorrowland? It feels really really empty in there. A new show would be good. @fradz IMHO the empty Hyperion is one of the worst parts of DLP right now. And its such a beautiful space.

Anyone know why the lion king show (from a couple years back) ran for such a short time? It was a really good show! And still have fond memories of the Mulan show there as well. Kinda weird they’re building a new lion king show for the Chaparelle theater in frontierland while they still have the set at the Hyperion...

You mean the Cafe Hyperion? I don't think there has ever been a show there.

IMDREW

You mean the Cafe Hyperion? I don't think there has ever been a show there.

Oh I’m talking about the large theater in DISCOVERYLAND. Sorry, I keep saying tomorrowland :banghead:.

The large building with the jules verne zeppelin in front with the cafe inside. Last time I was there they were playing the old mickey or pixar shorts as I remember..

ThemeParkTraveller

Speaking of Discoveryland, it feels like a complete thematic mess right now with additions like Buzz Lightyear and Mickey's PhilharMagic. I'm very unhappy with the new direction of the land, as it was so brilliantly conceived (reaching its peak with the addition of Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom