Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Kman101

The smell has been drastically reduced over the years and I thought they must be intentionally phasing it out due to complaints. Perhaps it won't even return

Interesting. I didn't know it had been reduced. I rode it last year, probably around this time, May/June and it was working then. I hadn't been on the attraction in probably 10 years by that point so I have no idea how much the smell has been reduced. It didn't seem quite as overwhelming as I remembered but memories can be tricky, lol.

pdude81

I had ridden it in 2011 and it was still pretty strong at that point, but I wasn't back to Disney until late 2016 and there was still an odor but it was a much weaker skunk smell mixed with something else that I couldn't place. Came back in Summer '17 and this past winter and the air was working but the smell was so faint that I couldn't tell if there was anything there or if I was tricking myself. It's possible that I just hit the ride on off days recently but that was my guess based on experience.

geekza

The smell has been drastically reduced over the years and I thought they must be intentionally phasing it out due to complaints. Perhaps it won't even return
If that was the case, why not spend the relatively-small amount of money to hire Dave Goelz and Eric Idle to record a few new lines of dialogue and replace the skunk smell with something that smells good. They could keep the stuff about Figment acting like he's going to spray something gross and then, when it turns out to be pleasant, he could say something like, "Oh, come on! You really didn't imagine that I would spray you with something gross, did you? Don't be ridiculous!" It would still be stupid, but less-stupid than building up a joke with no pay-off, which is what we have with no skunk smell.

pdude81

If that was the case, why not spend the relatively-small amount of money to hire Dave Goelz and Eric Idle to record a few new lines of dialogue and replace the skunk smell with something that smells good. They could keep the stuff about Figment acting like he's going to spray something gross and then, when it turns out to be pleasant, he could say something like, "Oh, come on! You really didn't imagine that I would spray you with something gross, did you? Don't be ridiculous!" It would still be stupid, but less-stupid than building up a joke with no pay-off, which is what we have with no skunk smell.
To be fair, nothing makes sense when it comes to this ride. The budget was embarassingly small for versions 2 and 3, so I can't say whether or not they' would spend money on making a new smell when the keyboards over in the create a figment area are broken half the time. Then there is the question of whether Eric Idle wants anything more to do with this ride, or whether it's easy to make him look like he did 15 years ago in a lab coat.

pdude81

Now I'm not saying they definitely reduced the smell on purpose, just that it was my assumption based on my experience. That they have allowed this version to exist longer than the original is insane so logic no longer applies to this pavilion

geekza

To be fair, nothing makes sense when it comes to this ride. The budget was embarassingly small for versions 2 and 3, so I can't say whether or not they' would spend money on making a new smell when the keyboards over in the create a figment area are broken half the time. Then there is the question of whether Eric Idle wants anything more to do with this ride, or whether it's easy to make him look like he did 15 years ago in a lab coat.
If there's one thing I've learned over the years, Eric Idle is always in the mood to make some money. Makeup and a little digital smoothing can work wonders. It will never happen, as Disney is too cheap and is currently focused on milking the Star Wars and Marvel teats until they run dry.

Communicore

I say give it the “Horizons treatment.” It’s an 80’s ride, the 80’s are gone, it just makes me cry when I see it in its current state. So why not just tear it down. After all, it deserves to be torn down more than Horizons.

Communicore

Ratatouille is a physically massive and expensive attraction. That is not a C/D ticket kind of scope.
Also Ratatouille came out during this era, with the internet and social media. Whereas, Imagination was from the 80’s and Epcot theme park’s target audience nowadays, well at least FW’s, only care about the now. I’m all for “Inside Out” replacing this sad remnant.

geekza

Also Ratatouille came out during this era, with the internet and social media. Whereas, Imagination was from the 80’s and Epcot theme park’s target audience nowadays, well at least FW’s, only care about the now. I’m all for “Inside Out” replacing this sad remnant.
For this particular pavilion, at least at this juncture, I think you're absolutely right. While I do think the original ride had a timeless quality that could have withstood the decades had a little TLC and technological updates been performed, the time for that passed when they tore out the original ride structure. The folks who designed the original ride are long gone from the company and, even if they were to try and recreate something akin to the original, it would not be the same and would please no one. Inside Out was a great film with memorable characters and has ample creative ideas that fit perfectly with the original theme of the pavilion.

geekza

Inside Out is great. But it shouldn't be a Figment replacement. We have another pavilion sitting empty right now. Or one of the Innoventions buildings.

We have to stop replacing stuff! lol

Fix what's there. Don't replace it.
I love (OG) Figment, too, but I just don't see what, if anything, could be done to make anything that will come close to what was accomplished with the original ride. I'm sure Figment will stay around in some capacity, even in an Inside-Out ride. He moves a lot of plush.

Kman101

I love (OG) Figment, too, but I just don't see what, if anything, could be done to make anything that will come close to what was accomplished with the original ride. I'm sure Figment will stay around in some capacity, even in an Inside-Out ride. He moves a lot of plush.

What was done was a comic that was well received even the suits in CA took notice. They could have done a Figment movie.

They don't have to recreate the original (which never should have been gutted to begin with) but they can still create a new ride that captures the spirit of the original. But unfortunately we live in a "must be IP" universe now so even I have a hard time seeing them do a new Figment ride, as much as I want them to.

Inside Out doesn't need a dark ride. I really don't need one at all. It could work for a simulator or a theater (ya know, what it was inspired by, Cranium Command ...)

Bender123

What was done was a comic that was well received even the suits in CA took notice. They could have done a Figment movie.

They don't have to recreate the original (which never should have been gutted to begin with) but they can still create a new ride that captures the spirit of the original. But unfortunately we live in a "must be IP" universe now so even I have a hard time seeing them do a new Figment ride, as much as I want them to.

Inside Out doesn't need a dark ride. I really don't need one at all. It could work for a simulator or a theater (ya know, what it was inspired by, Cranium Command ...)

Except Figment is already a fairly well known IP within the park...He is everywhere and basically the Epcot mascot. I doubt they would risk going without him, because that little dragon pushes through a lot of merch sales.

Last edited:

brb1006

Except Figment is already a fairly well know IP within the park...He is everywhere and basically the Epcot mascot. I doubt the would risk going without him, because that little dragon pushes through a lot of merch sales.
I think Kman meant an IP from a Disney Animated or Live-Action Film not counting IP's created for parks only.

Kman101

I understand that, but I also could not see WDW management greenlighting anything that wipes out the park representation of a free use cash cow.

He can still sell plush as the park mascot. They may not think he needs a ride. I'm not arguing against Figment. I agree they should view him as an IP to capitalize on. But will they? The mindframe is very different now in terms of what gets greenlit for an attraction.

Kamikaze

Inside Out is great. But it shouldn't be a Figment replacement. We have another pavilion sitting empty right now. Or one of the Innoventions buildings.

We have to stop replacing stuff! lol

Fix what's there. Don't replace it.

Inside Out's best fit is clearly the Imagination Pavilion. Should it replace Figment? Highly debatable. The current attraction is nothing worth saving, but Figment is iconic.

Inside Out should definitely take over the theater, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom