News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

I meant that practically speaking, the guests at Pop/Animation/Caribbean/Riviera resorts can relatively easily access the Boardwalk area restaurants.

Regarding theming, it seems to me that the IG is themed to France.

Also, you're sadly mistaken if you think France is an also-ran compared to Germany and Italy. I think the big four are France, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy. Besides, this is an urban gondola system. It's not going to have fake snow. And I don't think any of the pavilions is themed as an alpine ski lodge.

Regarding requiring ticket media for boarding the Epcot line, I think it would make it difficult for passengers returning from the Studios to the Riviera. They'd have to eliminate through passengers at the Riviera station and force everyone to get off and then back on. Additionally there's the issue of now only being able to use the gondola during park hours. This would mean the line couldn't operate before park opening and you wouldn't be able to eat at Boardwalk restaurants after close and take the gondola back to your hotel. OTOH, I'm not sure how long the gondola would remain open after Epcot closes.

I think of the Disneyland monorail as 80% attraction, 20% transportation. I think its operating hours and downtime make it a bit marginal compared to what Disney is looking for out of the Skyliner. In the case of the Disneyland monorail, the alternative is a 10 minute walk, right?
I suppose if they were wanting to skim a little extra traffic at Boardwalk then yes, having it where it is makes sense. But I highly doubt this went into the calculus.

This is first and foremost a way to remove a lot of the bus traffic coming from the parks.

How much partying on the boardwalk are they really going to want to encourage after folks have spent the entire evening drinking themselves around the WS...

It’s already pretty crowded down there in the evenings as it is, obviously they make money and want to make more of it.

If that was truly the goal, ya slap turnstyles at the German station, make it in the form of a turn station, and take the zig zag line thru Boardwalk’s parking lot and run straight to Disney Springs.

LOTS more restaurants and bars to soak up guest spend there than Boardwalk’s locations.

I get what you’re aaying, and understand they may view that as icing on the cake, and perhaps that is what led them to decide what they did.

TiggerDad

What I don't understand is why a gondola thematically fits with ... Italy
The project name is The Italian Job. Surely you can think of how a gondola relates to Italy.
1525961864494.png

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I may not like the intrusion of the towers into the sightlines, but I welcome the addition of new transportation.
Now let's think positive. What do you think will be the most photographed part while flying overhead?

Think of the view of the Epcot ball!

I think the views as you approach DHS will be pretty good as well. As you can see below, you will have a good view of the Tower of Terror, the Sorcerer's Hat, and the Earfull Tower!!

1525966797379.png

Disone

I may not like the intrusion of the towers into the sightlines, but I welcome the addition of new transportation.
Now let's think positive. What do you think will be the most photographed part while flying overhead?

Think of the view of the Epcot ball!

Agreed. I'm not really sure why this is so controversial. It's the top of the tower. And from some angles if you're looking for it you see it peeking over the buildings. The gondolas are going to be hanging below this so you're not going to see them going by. This is far less jarring to the skyline then the Swan and Dolphin are. This is far less jarring than that bus over pass to Walt Disney World railroad goes under. This is far less jarring than that stupid cell phone tower disguised as a tree by Animal Kingdom. Do I love it? No. Do I hope they'll put a chimney to help block it later? Sure. Am I fired up about this? Absolutely not.

I think the AC concerns, while completely over blown here, are more valid then this tower peaking just slightly over the roof tops of France. While I do think it may be inconvenient, IMO it is LESS worst then DAK which opened with out air conditioning and it did not cause the failure of that park. I do think with the passing of time, Disney will retrofit the system with AC much like they added AC into DAK in the years after opening.

NormC

I think the AC concerns, while completely over blown here, are more valid then this tower peaking just slightly over the roof tops of France. While I do think it may be inconvenient, IMO it is LESS worst then DAK which opened with out air conditioning and it did not cause the failure of that park. I do think with the passing of time, Disney will retrofit the system with AC much like they added AC into DAK in the years after opening.

The AC issue brings out all sorts of people. There was a guy (Luis) arguing on a Disney Facebook group that claimed it was easy to do and that he rode on the Cleveland Skylift and it had perfectly working AC and heating. The Cleveland Skylift hasn't been built yet. It is still a pipe dream of Jon Stahl. Of course he lost all credibility once he dropped that post to the group. Bottom line: it is difficult to implement AC on a single cable detachable gondola system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom