Fast & Furious- Supercharged details officially released

Rich Brownn

My family visited Universal for the first time last week, and we rode it, too. My kids (9 and 11) walked out saying, "How is it possible that they explained the ride to us for 20 minutes [via multiple pre-shows] before we even got on, and I still have no idea what that was about?" It was everything I've assumed the movie series to be: a lot of swagger and zero substance.

I think what bothered me the most is that the ride system seemed so similar to King Kong -- which my family was dazzled by, and found to be incredibly immersive and convincing -- and yet the movements/vibrations on F&F were so fake and poorly timed that we couldn't suspend our disbelief if we tried. I feel bad that they put all that time and effort into a long, impressive series of queue buildings, because I can't imagine that the line for this thing is ever going to be full. Even the standby line was practically walking on when we went...
Part of the reason Kong seems better is that was filmed and shown at 60fps. No matter what they say, F&F is not 60.

FlordIAN

Well the initial reviews are in for F&F Supercharged, looking like a failure. I have heard that the special effects are so fake. Come on Comcast, you wanna compete with Disney, you have got to bring your A Game, substandard rides like F&F Supercharged aren't going to help you gain ground, Six Flags may be able to get away with that because they aren't in competition with Disney, nor are they in the hypercompetitve Orlando market. In order to compete with Disney, you have to blow people away, and as I have heard F&F: Supercharged, doesn't

Last edited:

celluloid

As stated, even if the screen finale was impressive it would have many problems.

There are two preshow rooms with live spielers after the queue playing the part of mechanic/detailer in the first room and war room first day on the job agent in the second room. Neither have much freedom or time to put emotion into their very brief agreeable lines such as "me too" or "I know" so it goes to waste and a great potential without adding anything to the set up.

After loading onto the bus you get 45 seconds of exposition on screens above you that don't seem to quite line up with what was said in the preshow rooms but yet start to tell a better story to some degree but it is so rushed.

After that there is literally a three minutes further explaining using Musion Eyeliner illusion. Just on your right. Which could have easily of been a preshow before loading onto the ride vehicles.

Then the one minute finale that in itself is a less impressive version of all the other simulations the resorts in Central Florida have to offer. Nothing after the 360 scene. The 360 scene is the finale. This mixed with less than stellar writing of the attraction make it weak all around.

I am still shocked that you watch something take place on your far right and would be thought to crane your neck to that right and watch 3 minutes play off with nothing else occurring after a full long queue and two preshow rooms. It is Just lazy import stalling that made more sense on the tram tour because it IS the preshow on the tram segment before moving into the 360 scene.

One of the largest show building at the resort and largest real estate yet when you consider that show building and the queue. Mark my words, that queue will in the near future, next year or year after will be utilized for HHN house(s) as there will be no one waiting in those lines.

I feel the Omnimover classic speed tunnels such as If you had Wings/Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and World of Motion have a much better sense of speed and the illusion of traveling in another place than this 360 did, where as Kong was carefully crafted.

If this ride lasts long without a change,this will be the Journey Into Imagination Featuring Figment of Universal Orlando.

The opening, practical effect pairing of speed is the best illusion out of the entire experience. It is a shame it starts as a highlight. Kudos to the team who put thought into that.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Let's just say it's a people eater and never talk about this crap again? Wasted space and attraction.
It needs to be talked about, though. It's so bad that it is damaging Universal's reputation. It wasn't cheap, either. The fact that this could get greenlit is very baffling and concerning.

I started this thread and my predictions were correct: this is quite possibly the most panned ride in the history of theme parks. Has there ever been an attraction that was received this poorly? Only a few come to mind. Journey Into Your Imagination - they gutted an amazing ride for a very sub-par one, but if it hadn't replaced an amazing ride it probably wouldn't have been judged quite so harshly. At least you can see some semblance of creativity and inspiration, even if the execution was sub-par. Same with Stitch's Great Escape.

lazyboy97o

Comcast is a large organisation, that i doubt deal with the day to day dealings of attractions. Someone at the Universal creative time green lit - that man (or lady) needs exposing.
Neither Walt Disney Imagineering nor Universal Creative have ultimate say on attractions being built. It is likely that Comcast did have a say on the decision to build.

Rob562

I started this thread and my predictions were correct: this is quite possibly the most panned ride in the history of theme parks. Has there ever been an attraction that was received this poorly?

Superstar Limo.

But at least Disney had the mind to shut it down after less than two years 11 months (yes, really) and let it sit closed.
Somehow I don't see Universal doing that with F&F.

-Rob

[edited...]

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Naturally Comcast would have signed of the cheque. But they are not experts in this field. They are corporate suit who hire the supposed best in the industry in each field - be it television, be it movies, theme parks etc.

Out of curiosity who is the head of Universal Orlando? Is there a chief honch at charge?
You should know who you’ve already decided to blame.

Prototype82

It's sad because the queue is honestly the second best queue in the entire park and honestly the 4th best in the resort in my opinion. The details are just phenomenal.

celluloid

It's sad because the queue is honestly the second best queue in the entire park and honestly the 4th best in the resort in my opinion. The details are just phenomenal.

And that is true. The queue is well done for what it is supposed to be going for. Also likely where the minds and hearts as well as time went (the queue and the first two opening practical scenes) as those were something they had money and resources to give creatively rather than the fact they knew somehow the rest would be out of their hands.

That being said, even with all the money and the effort in the preshows would need to be reworked and better telling of the set up. Just lazy show writing.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Superstar Limo.

But at least Disney had the mind to shut it down after less than two years and let it sit closed. I somehow don't see Universal doing that with F&F.

-Rob
Yeah. If they insist on keeping it for a while it needs some serious retooling. Even the pre shows. So much exposition yet it still makes no sense. There’s a definite disconnect between the queue pre shows that have almost nothing to say and the additional “pre shows” on the ride don’t line up with them because they, too, were pulled directly from the Hollywood version. I

FlordIAN

I'd argue if the ride used similar technology, but was themed differently, (thinking NASCAR in general, Talladega Nights, or some other racing action movie), the ride could have been better

lazyboy97o

I'd argue if the ride used similar technology, but was themed differently, (thinking NASCAR in general, Talladega Nights, or some other racing action movie), the ride could have been better
Pairing a high speed story with a slow and lumbering ride system is a core problem.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Rode this yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Might be a new favorite. The same way The Room or other hillariously bad movies are amazing.

There's so many problems with every single aspect of the ride from technical levels to conceptual. It's a beautiful train wreck and I was laughing like a mad man the whole time.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I honestly don't even think the queue is that great. It looks like a warehouse/auto shop. Some cool cars, sure.
this is actually a perfect attraction to match with an equally devoid of merit ip - much like guardians:mb

two great examples of writing to your audience and few seem to be picking up on it
Except Mission Breakout is good and liked by most, even most naysayers who hated the idea.

JT3000

I honestly don't even think the queue is that great. It looks like a warehouse/auto shop. Some cool cars, sure.

Except Mission Breakout is good and liked by most, even most naysayers who hated the idea.

Good enough maybe, depending on how most DL fans felt about their TOT. I don't know. But I do know if Mission Breakout had replaced ours, it would be seen as a crime against humanity.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Dumb idea well executed is still a dumb idea. It's good for the cheap and rushed overlay.
A dumb idea well executed (M:B) is better than a dumb idea poorly executed (F&F)
Good enough maybe, depending on how most DL fans felt about their TOT. I don't know. But I do know if Mission Breakout had replaced ours, it would be seen as a crime against humanity.
True, but the DCA ToT was just good, not great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom