Fast & Furious- Supercharged details officially released

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think what bothered me the most is that the ride system seemed so similar to King Kong -- which my family was dazzled by, and found to be incredibly immersive and convincing -- and yet the movements/vibrations on F&F were so fake and poorly timed that we couldn't suspend our disbelief if we tried. I feel bad that they put all that time and effort into a long, impressive series of queue buildings, because I can't imagine that the line for this thing is ever going to be full. Even the standby line was practically walking on when we went...

This is exactly the same feeling I had. I just rode both Kong and F&F for the first time and I found Kong to be a much better experience. I had fun on F&F but it definitly has it's flaws.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I wouldn't give it the "worst ride ever made" award but it certainly earns its spot in the honorable mentions.
It's the worst ride I've personally been on. Like stitch's Great Escape may be worse, but at least work conceptually and has impressive tech. And Circle of Life is a snooze fest, but at least it was cheap and small. F&F is this bad in 2018 with a huge space/budget for it and few if any good ideas involved.

But personal preference may come into play here. Amd my only real experience is Florida parks

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Yeah, that's my thing. There are technically worse rides. For example I'm not counting excessively painful coasters. Shrek 4D and Wild Arctic at SeaWorld are worse as well. But it's hard to think of a ride as inexcusably bad as this.

champdisney

Personally if i was comcast i'd be drug testing the creative department they employ. The creative decisions, namely the love for screens can't be made without some form of intoxication. These are people who are supposedly at the top of their game, a history of excellence - hence being employed by Comcast - are making decisions that make no sense on any human level.

Surely it's a route Comcast must explore.
Comcast gives the go-ahead for every project that commences. My honest belief is that the suits at Comcast don’t understand nor particularly care to understand how important originality is to a theme park. Which makes me think of Comcast as if it were a team mascot you see at a baseball game, who comes out during intermission and blasts off with a t-shirt launcher. In this case, Comcast fires away giving us these uninteresting concepts, yet, failing to realize that the park can live without it, unless it’s entirely new and not half-arsed. This goes back to Transformers, to Fallon, and now with Fast and Flatulence. Is it cool to get free shirts at a baseball game? Hell yeah! But we’re paying guests at Universal and we expect more, original and impressive stuff.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
It seems Comcast didn't quite grasp why WWoHP was such a success and instead has assumed you can just do IP + NEW RIDE = Cha-Ching! every year with no regard to quality. The progression has been: Gringotts (good but disappointing but also came with the amazing Diagon alley) - Kong (mediocre) - Fallon (bad) - F&F (completely terrible). This short-sighted strategy has now, with the massive backlash against F&F, shattered the improved reputation they built up between 2010 and 2015.

sonoma15

Fallon isn't bad imo, it's just that there are so many other screen rides in the park. Also an added bonus that you don't have to wait longer then 5-10 min for it in my experience.

Musicman20

I'm not a fan of the films (I've never tried watching them, might be ok!) but when you think of how great Spiderman was at the time (and still is, IMO), I agree this is not pushing forward at all. I like Fallon's building, queue experience and the ride isn't amazing, but not terrible, but for F&TF, I expected more.

OG Runner

Okay, I went to Universal this last week and rode this ride three times trying to give it a chance. I was in the front row, the last row and the middle. The queue is fine, not exceptional, though I liked seeing the vehicles from the movie. The preshows are as lame as they have been described. The ride itself is best from the front. (though I could actually see part of the ride system on the ground). In the other areas it is difficult to even see what is going on. The finale of the ride is not bad, but by then you are numb from everything else you have gone through to get to the that point. The "party" scene so poorly put together it is cringeworthy. Maybe if they went to open limousines, (similar to rock n rollercoaster), and do something to streamline the queue. More cars would be better than either the break room or war room.

sonoma15

It's bad. Great Queue - but as a motion simulator in todays day and age - it's ghastly, cheap and lazy.

If Transformers, Spiderman (which was built over a decade ago), and Flight Of Passage have pushed motion Simulator technology - to produce an old school static screen motion simulator is utterly disgusting.
Is flight of passage not a static screen simulator or did I miss something when I rode it?

lebeau

It's bad. Great Queue - but as a motion simulator in todays day and age - it's ghastly, cheap and lazy.

If Transformers, Spiderman (which was built over a decade ago), and Flight Of Passage have pushed motion Simulator technology - to produce an old school static screen motion simulator is utterly disgusting.

That's certainly an opinion you have there.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I've come to respect Fallon as a ride that would be acceptable filler in most other parks. It does succeed as a mildly thrilling traditional motion simulator, it's just too redundant at Universal. Though I still do take several issues with it, mainly the video content. With so many other attractions at UOR having cartoonish action, they should have done something different here. It adds to the redundancy and does not feel in tone with The Tonight Show. In my opinion, simulators work best when only a small number of other riders are in your forward view, either by placing you in smaller vehicle pods or using the technique in Soarin' and Flight of Passage. So using a giant theater motion base in a big theater box lacks immersion. They hand-wave this by saying literally "the audience" is racing Jimmy Fallon, and it does indeed come off as somewhat cheap and lazy.

OG Runner

I've come to respect Fallon as a ride that would be acceptable filler in most other parks. It does succeed as a mildly thrilling traditional motion simulator, it's just too redundant at Universal. Though I still do take several issues with it, mainly the video content. With so many other attractions at UOR having cartoonish action, they should have done something different here. It adds to the redundancy and does not feel in tone with The Tonight Show. In my opinion, simulators work best when only a small number of other riders are in your forward view, either by placing you in smaller vehicle pods or using the technique in Soarin' and Flight of Passage. So using a giant theater motion base in a big theater box lacks immersion. They hand-wave this by saying literally "the audience" is racing Jimmy Fallon, and it does indeed come off as somewhat cheap and lazy.

I rode the Fallon ride twice this last week and enjoyed it both times. The concept is fun and throwing in the Tonight Show
references, right from the beginning with the safety rap, was really enjoyable.

TheAristocourt

My husband and I rode F&F Supercharged for the first time on Sunday. We sat in the front row and we were not impressed. I felt like I couldn't see anything from my viewpoint. It's so odd, because I loved Kong immediately.

We'll give it another shot in a few weeks and try to sit in another spot.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
My husband and I rode F&F Supercharged for the first time on Sunday. We sat in the front row and we were not impressed. I felt like I couldn't see anything from my viewpoint. It's so odd, because I loved Kong immediately.

We'll give it another shot in a few weeks and try to sit in another spot.
Well, for what it's worth, you see less in the front row of Kong than on F&F. Basically the only thing F&F has over Kong.

OG Runner

Another thing i don't quite understand - what's with the waste of time elaborate set up?[/QUOTE]

Work for bad actors, or to make the acting on the ride look better?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom