Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Does the code name Alcatraz have any meaning for the star destroyer we'll be on? Or is it a general statement on Star destroyers?

So, Alcatraz is a famous prison... one that many considered inescapable. However, some of the greatest stories of escaping (or trying to escape) prisons come from Alcatraz.

This is all a guess, but here's my theory (no clue on how much will end up being true)...

There was word that there would be a pre-show type experience where you would board a "spacecraft" that would actually take you to the main attraction. My theory is that the story will go that you are on some nondescript mission when your ship is captured by the First Order (maybe because you have a rebel spy on board or something) and you will be detained and taken to the Star Destroyer to basically be held prisoner. The main attractions's ride vehicle will be taking you to your prison cell when you are somehow intercepted by the Rebels who will be helping you break out of this "prison" during a greater Rebel attack on the Star Destroyer... Craziness ensues until you finally do escape and land back on Batuu.

As such, the "Alcatraz" moniker is not so much about the prison, but the tring to escape from being a prisoner.

Again, just a thought...

Haymarket2008

So, Alcatraz is a famous prison... one that many considered inescapable. However, some of the greatest stories of escaping (or trying to escape) prisons come from Alcatraz.

This is all a guess, but here's my theory (no clue on how much will end up being true)...

There was word that there would be a pre-show type experience where you would board a "spacecraft" that would actually take you to the main attraction. My theory is that the story will go that you are on some nondescript mission when your ship is captured by the First Order (maybe because you have a rebel spy on board or something) and you will be detained and taken to the Star Destroyer to basically be held prisoner. The main attractions's ride vehicle will be taking you to your prison cell when you are somehow intercepted by the Rebels who will be helping you break out of this "prison" during a greater Rebel attack on the Star Destroyer... Craziness ensues until you finally do escape and land back on Batuu.

As such, the "Alcatraz" moniker is not so much about the prison, but the tring to escape from being a prisoner.

Again, just a thought...

You’re pretty much right, from what I hear too! Although I heard that the ride vehicle is a “maintenance vehicle”? And us as members of the Resistance, hijack the vehicle as a means of escape. Whatever it is, you’re definitely right on the money. Can’t wait.

Kman101

You’re pretty much right, from what I hear too! Although I heard that the ride vehicle is a “maintenance vehicle”? And us as members of the Resistance, hijack the vehicle as a means of escape. Whatever it is, you’re definitely right on the money. Can’t wait.

Me either. Sounds like it'll be a fantastic ride. We certainly deserve a fantastic ride.

bclane

The one downside for me is that my expectations are through the roof haha. This better be jaw droppinginly amazing!
I know what you mean. But then again, they could build an actual real life working Star Destroyer and launch us into space, and some people would still be disappointed. Then there’s people like me. I’m gonna probably pee myself a little everytime I walk into Batuu.

TragicMike

Again, just a thought...
Sounds awesome, hopefully the boarding and un-boarding nature of the attraction doesn't make this a nightmare for our wheelchair-using friends.

EricsBiscuit

Again, just a thought...
I love it! That could actually be it!

sedati

The opening scene of "The Last Jedi" showed us what happens when Star Destroyers show up over a "secret" rebel base. We could simply be trying to get away and be captured in the process.

Once on board the Destroyer, keep in mind that one whole side of the hangar set is a giant screen. That's too impressive an element to simply project star fields and other Star Destroyers. I think somthing pretty epic will happen on that screen and will lead us into the ride proper.

RSoxNo1

Looking at the great article BlogMickey put together on the Millennium Falcon projection cones, I figured I'd throw out possible capacity #s.

If @marni1971 or any other insiders can confirm some of these assumptions it would be appreciate.

4: Number of "centrifuges"
7: Number of cockpits per centrifuge
6: Number of guests per cockpit
168: Total system capacity at any one time.

We've been told that the rotation of the centrifuges is done with the motivation of improving throughput. Not knowing the intensity of the ride (and associated restraints) or the attraction length, predicting the cycle time is a bit tougher, so below is a wide range of possible capacities.

5 minutes: 2016 guests per hour
6 minutes: 1680 guests per hour
7 minutes: 1440 guests per hour
8 minutes: 1260 guests per hour
9 minutes: 1120 guests per hour

RSoxNo1

Yep.

As an aside the Falcon projection system will feature multiple projectors to give a seemless image on the varying size and shaped screen.
Any idea on ride time? 4:00-4:30 seems to be the norm for simulators. If that's the case, I'm guessing they're targeting a 6 minute cycle time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom