Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PizzaPlanet

Photo update as of Saturday, April 21, 2018. The earth on top of the Grand Avenue tunnel has been "forested" with trees recently, completely obscuring the Star Wars Land rockwork. The addition of these trees not only separates the sight lines between the two lands, but from the Grand Avenue side it gives the appearance that a hillside exists over the tunnel, looking more like the Los Angeles it was built to resemble.

View attachment 279452

View attachment 279453
Looks fantastic. I love the fact that SWL will be completely hidden, making for an even better reveal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Photo update as of Saturday, April 21, 2018. The earth on top of the Grand Avenue tunnel has been "forested" with trees recently, completely obscuring the Star Wars Land rockwork. The addition of these trees not only separates the sight lines between the two lands, but from the Grand Avenue side it gives the appearance that a hillside exists over the tunnel, looking more like the Los Angeles it was built to resemble.

View attachment 279452

Main Street L.A.

bclane

Ah yes, however, when I'm in Star Wars land will I see them? Obviously, those are Earth trees and I don't know if our trees are found on other planets. That would totally destroy the illusion for me and I couldn't get past the fact that Earth trees are showing up in Star Wars land.

I might break down and throw a regular tantrum in the hopes of scoring a FP+.

I am just joking. I like the addition of trees in the parks. Makes them feel alive, especially when water is used in waterfalls or streams.
I suppose they could have brought in redwoods since they obviouly exist on Tana (the moon of Endor). Other than climate considerations the only problem with that is it takes a couple thousand years to grow to the proper size... Or I suppose they could have built a forest of fake redwoods. That would have been impressive. But dang if those trees they chose don’t liven up the end of that street. I really like it!

Goofyernmost

Ah yes, however, when I'm in Star Wars land will I see them? Obviously, those are Earth trees and I don't know if our trees are found on other planets. That would totally destroy the illusion for me and I couldn't get past the fact that Earth trees are showing up in Star Wars land.

I might break down and throw a regular tantrum in the hopes of scoring a FP+.

I am just joking. I like the addition of trees in the parks. Makes them feel alive, especially when water is used in waterfalls or streams.
It does say that it is at The Edge of the Galaxy, so maybe the trees are visible from there. Create your own facts, it makes life much simpler as long as you keep them to yourself.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I suppose they could have brought in redwoods since they obviouly exist on Tana (the moon of Endor). Other than climate considerations the only problem with that is it takes a couple thousand years to grow to the proper size... Or I suppose they could have built a forest of fake redwoods. That would have been impressive. But dang if those trees they chose don’t liven up the end of that street. I really like it!

Redwoods can be pretty fast growing in good soil and a lot of sunlight. In the wild where they're competing for resources, they can be slow growing.

flyerjab

View attachment 279452

View attachment 279453

IMHO, that top photo looks fantastic! It’s funny how some smaller areas come up and surprise you among the much larger projects. We were just at Grand Avenue’s Tap Room in March. That entire area is beautiful and just a great place to sit, relax, and take a break.

It looks so much better with the addition of the trees above the tunnel. And the outside seating area of the Tap Room will be a wonderful place to sit and people watch the hordes of cosplayers entering and exiting SW:GE.

Sam Magic

View attachment 279452

View attachment 279453
This little area is seriously looking fantastic. DHS feels alive again.

I was a little iffy on how Grand Avenue would turn out, but it is really shaping up to be a great little place.

Jones14

When Disney closes Star Tours, will they match up that area with Grand Ave. and Muppets?
I would imagine that it could go either way, depending on what replaces it. If they go with a Big Hero 6 overlay, for example, I could see San Fransokyo theming that then overlaps/fades into Grand Avenue.

If they tear it down for an Indy ride, here comes the jungle.

HauntedMansionFLA

SW:GE 4/24/2018 - can barely see the mountains. The trees will fill in nicely.
207E09DD-39B6-43E8-ABB1-8D12859DE8D9.jpeg
81F2F08B-FC43-4E28-B7F8-139E5916D6AC.jpeg
70FB8669-AF56-4CAB-8862-056EA24DC083.jpeg
47978632-B3FF-4A65-B638-EAD3155D14F6.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom