The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

My dad, for all the times he has travelled, is a nervous traveller. He spends the entire day anxious, and then he's anxious all the way through the airport and insists on rushing. I'm used to either flying by myself or with my grandma, and being anxious is not only counterproductive, but also one way to get yourself in trouble. Being coolheaded is a much better path. So I'm used to just being calm and cool going through the airport, especially Orlando, which is almost as familiar as BWI, and travelling with Mr. Nervous was just not fun. He rushes through the airport...to sit at the gate and wait. I'm like, "We don't have to be attached to this gate." I was just glad to get away from him during security. It took forever getting through, and he would have just been nervous about that.

And then because he's nervous, it rubs off on my mom and makes her cranky as well. She got irritated for me going to the restroom as soon as we got off the plane. She was like, "You didn't tell us what you were doing!" Hmm...yeah I did Mom.

Then, instead of just going to the restroom right then, they all went when we got to bag claim. Meanwhile, I stood there and got all six suitcases off bag claim. And my Dad's response when he came back was, "Well, why aren't you moving the suitcases?" Um, because there's six suitcases, my backpack, and my carry on, and one of me? Also, how about the fact that tiny me just lifted a bunch of 40 pound suitcases off here without a thank you?

And then, although they do trust me and know I can handle myself in an airport when I'm alone, they somehow forget this when I'm with them and think I need reminders about stuff like taking off my shoes in security and where to put my carry on...and then my dad was like (before we got in line for security, this was when I decided to make an escape) "Take off your watch!" Well, you actually don't need to take off your jewlery or watch (or fitbit) in the new scanners. Which I had to tell him three times before he believed me.

Even my mom was getting on my nerves, and she and I usually get along quite well. But on a plane, she thinks I'm 12 and need to be told what to do. Er...no.

Basically, you should be fine as long as you're not a nervous traveller and don't nag. :p
HAH, you wouldnt like to travel with me.. because I'm almost exactly like your father.
I always RUSH until I see the Gate with the correct information on display.

Trust me, after so many trips and changes.. I've lost count how many times the gate has been changed for my flight and while I was trusting the screens... they not always are 100% updated on time.

So I'm always like :

1. Rush to the gate, see how it is, and where it is (specially if the trip is connection and is less than an hour away).
  2. Do my business (food, restroom, etc..)
  3. Return to gate and wait.
I've lost count on how many connections flight I lost or almost got late...even when rushing. I mean.. I get really nervous when they suddenly changed gates and there was no info anywhere and they suddenly were in the other side of the airport when they updated the screens!
Something like this happened once to me in my first flight to the USA lol.
Arrived at Chicago Airport late by 1 hour, connection flight was 15 minutes.. after going thru security..
They kept sending us from gate to gate until we finally found the correct one just to see that it had left and we had to wait for the next one...

StarWarsGirl

HAH, you wouldnt like to travel with me.. because I'm almost exactly like your father.
I always RUSH until I see the Gate with the correct information on display.

Trust me, after so many trips and changes.. I've lost count how many times the gate has been changed for my flight and while I was trusting the screens... they not always are 100% updated on time.

So I'm always like :

1. Rush to the gate, see how it is, and where it is (specially if the trip is connection and is less than an hour away).
  2. Do my business (food, restroom, etc..)
  3. Return to gate and wait.
I've lost count on how many connections flight I lost or almost got late...even when rushing. I mean.. I get really nervous when they suddenly changed gates and there was no info anywhere and they suddenly were in the other side of the airport when they updated the screens!
Something like this happened once to me in my first flight to the USA lol.
Arrived at Chicago Airport late by 1 hour, connection flight was 15 minutes.. after going thru security..
They kept sending us from gate to gate until we finally found the correct one just to see that it had left and we had to wait for the next one...
I can see it when you've got connections, but when you're flying non stop up two hours and you get automatic alerts on your phone for any changes, you really don't need to run through the airport. :rolleyes:

MySmallWorldof4

It all worked out fine. Luckily, one of the fathers that was traveling along was able to negotiate with the airline. Apparently, for all of there fancy software, AA can't tell when a person is part of a group, in this case, school group, with kids that should be kept together. The rebooked tickets are supposed to be for traveler's convenience. I have since found out, that the airlines plan also included having one poor girl stay behind by herself, and catch a flight the next day. It also seems the coaches were not going to get in contact with the airline to fix it. The dad was also instrumental in finding accommodations for the evening. I hear the Comfort Suites by the airport are really nice. Much better than the rooms at ASMovies.:eek:
I am surprised that they don't have an area with notes that would show that a group of tickets are part of a group. That is not very responsible of them. No wonder airlines have lost kids in the past. Good thing there was an intelligent dad there.

StarWarsGirl

We decided not to get the camper. At the end of the day, I can handle another year or two of us not going camping all summer. Plus we have an aquatics center membership in the summer, so it's not like we don't have fun.

But I am still planning on taking the kid thing down to WDW in late September. Looking at options now for lodging, and potential discounts.
September is an awesome time to go. The crowds let up, but it's still summer time down there. It was my parents' preferred time of year to go before I had to go to school.

You won't see any discounts quite yet. Give it until March or April, even May, and you'll start seeing some room only discounts. It's low season, so they will pop up, but you have to be patient. If you're going to do a value, go with Pop Century for sure.

I'm very much in the camp of always staying on Disney property. Between EMH, making FPs 60 days out, and free transportation, it's so much easier. There's nothing better than being exhausted after a long day at MK and then having someone else drive you back to your hotel. And not having to deal with the parking situation. Or paying for parking. I know others feel differently, but that's me.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
September is an awesome time to go. The crowds let up, but it's still summer time down there. It was my parents' preferred time of year to go before I had to go to school.

You won't see any discounts quite yet. Give it until March or April, even May, and you'll start seeing some room only discounts. It's low season, so they will pop up, but you have to be patient. If you're going to do a value, go with Pop Century for sure.

I'm very much in the camp of always staying on Disney property. Between EMH, making FPs 60 days out, and free transportation, it's so much easier. There's nothing better than being exhausted after a long day at MK and then having someone else drive you back to your hotel. And not having to deal with the parking situation. Or paying for parking. I know others feel differently, but that's me.

I would love to do POP but it's on our definite NO list. My daughter would kill me if we could see the Nemo pool and the Little Mermaid area and yet she wasn't allowed to swim in either of those pools. I thought about staying at POP and just using their pools, but after a cursory google search, that's not an option.

MySmallWorldof4

I would love to do POP but it's on our definite NO list. My daughter would kill me if we could see the Nemo pool and the Little Mermaid area and yet she wasn't allowed to swim in either of those pools. I thought about staying at POP and just using their pools, but after a cursory google search, that's not an option.
Since you are a small family you have loads of accomodation options. Port Orleans is beautiful and a favorite of many. I prefer French Quarter. If you will miss camping you could rent a cabin at FW, but I highly recommend a golf cart and that may throw a budget off since they are $60 a day. I do like the watercraft to MK from there and to CR and WL. I did notice that the discounts offered so far this year kind of um suck. If you go in September you may get the free meal plan assuming it will be offered. We loved going in September. Just be aware that it is hurricane season so you may get a washed out day or 2. Or maybe not. This is the first year that for part of our stay we are staying at the Double Tree near DS. It has more room the the cabins and being that the kids are older we want to try offsite once. The price kind of drew me in as well being it was under $200 a night for a suite.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Since you are a small family you have loads of accomodation options. Port Orleans is beautiful and a favorite of many. I prefer French Quarter. If you will miss camping you could rent a cabin at FW, but I highly recommend a golf cart and that may throw a budget off since they are $60 a day. I do like the watercraft to MK from there and to CR and WL. I did notice that the discounts offered so far this year kind of um suck. If you go in September you may get the free meal plan assuming it will be offered. We loved going in September. Just be aware that it is hurricane season so you may get a washed out day or 2. Or maybe not. This is the first year that for part of our stay we are staying at the Double Tree near DS. It has more room the the cabins and being that the kids are older we want to try offsite once. The price kind of drew me in as well being it was under $200 a night for a suite.

Free dining is usually offered, but because she's so little I think we'll probably get more value from a room discount. We'll price it out though when they release the discounts. I'd really love to do an Epcot area resort, but the only way we could swing that would be with the higher discounts.

AoA was really great for the kid though, so that's our front runner right now.

MySmallWorldof4

Free dining is usually offered, but because she's so little I think we'll probably get more value from a room discount. We'll price it out though when they release the discounts. I'd really love to do an Epcot area resort, but the only way we could swing that would be with the higher discounts.

We love Boardwalk the best. Stayed there for years before we realized we could go twice a year if we stayed at FW. Beach Club has an awesome pool but the sand isn’t powdery but more large grained. You can’t beat the location if you love EPCOT. The Swan and Dolphin have great rates and you get the EMH, but without the ability to charge to your room with magic bands.

MySmallWorldof4

Pricewise I don’t think that AoA doesn’t give great discounts on the Little Mermaid rooms. I guess they think they are inexpensive enough? They are definitely immersive for a little one though.

Figgy1

Premium Member

It's not as immersive but keep checking SOG for an all veterans special. They run about the same as All Stars when they run them. You still get 60 day FP window and there's no tax on anything. I love the short walk to POLY.

Figgy1

Premium Member

Once upon a time everything was a walk on in September even SM.

Cesar R M

The alternative would be purchasing Points and rent from a DVC.

You lose the mousekeeping (you can order by day at your cost). But you save a ton of money.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I just looked it up and they do it in January and SEPTEMBER!!!! Definitely looking into this. Thank you for reminding me!!
Standard room 2 king beds and a single pull out mini fridge and coffee maker. No microwave:cautious: The 4 of us who like to spread out had enough room for a short stay. The pools are nice not fancy but very quiet compared to a Disney hotel. The hotel also tends to be quiet for the most part more on par with a deluxe in that respect. It's also easier to get there from the parks because they have dedicated busses or you can take Poly transport. Just factor in Uber to and from the airport no ME but they also have a deal with I believe Mears if you fly in.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Standard room 2 king beds and a single pull out mini fridge and coffee maker. No microwave:cautious: The 4 of us who like to spread out had enough room for a short stay. The pools are nice not fancy but very quiet compared to a Disney hotel. The hotel also tends to be quiet for the most part more on par with a deluxe in that respect. It's also easier to get there from the parks because they have dedicated busses or you can take Poly transport. Just factor in Uber to and from the airport no ME but they also have a deal with I believe Mears if you fly in.

Okay, I just called to confirm and YES WE CAN STAY HERE for September!!!!! I didn't book it though, because I need to do a little research first.

From what I can see online, they recently added to their pool and now have a water slide and a splash area. Definitely enough fun for my daughter. Plus after a short walk we could monorail to MK, which she would love.

The no ME is a wrench I wasn't expecting, but you're my absolute favorite person today for making me look into this!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Okay, I just called to confirm and YES WE CAN STAY HERE for September!!!!! I didn't book it though, because I need to do a little research first.

From what I can see online, they recently added to their pool and now have a water slide and a splash area. Definitely enough fun for my daughter. Plus after a short walk we could monorail to MK, which she would love.

The no ME is a wrench I wasn't expecting, but you're my absolute favorite person today for making me look into this!
THNX

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom