News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

lazyboy97o

I don't care to look, but there is also a high probability that what was describe with PUSH didn't happen that way.
PUSH was literally the day before when they were asked. And the day before D23 you would have been told there were no plans to close The Great Movie Ride. Disney always denies what has not been announced. The broken clock will be excited.

Brad Bishop

A new fleet is expensive, sure, but it's not like Disney couldn't afford it.

I don't think it's a question of "afford" but a question of "How does it look on a spreadsheet?"

I don't think the Monorails look good on a spreadsheet and I think that "how it looks on a spreadsheet" is how the current managers work.

I'm not saying that the Monorail will be shut down later this year but as another poster has said, I think many of those reading this will see it happen in their lifetime.

You can say, "I can't imagine the Contemporary without the Monorail." Yeah, I get that. Imagine Tomorrowland without the Peoplemover or the Matterhorn without the Skyway going through it. Things change, you'll get used to the changes. If they were to shut it down they'd just close the garage doors on the Contemporary and you'd see dead beams for a decade or more. You'd think, "I remember when," but it wouldn't matter and you'd get used to it.

JoeCamel

Wouldnt it cost a bunch just to demolish all the monorail track and beams? Let's not forget this company left the people mover just sitting there at DL after operation ended to this day.

The monorail at WDW is a timeless transportation system that's so iconic, it's the 2rd busiest monorail system in the entire world with a city in Japan beating it.

The monorail hotels are built upon the idea of the monorail, it's a cashcow for the hotels.

Let's not forget the monorail goes through a large portion of Epcot's future world and the tracks are elevated very lowly making it nearly impossible to demolish the tracks there.
If and I mean if they shut the Epcot line they wouldn't remove the beam. Costs nothing to leave it - costs money to remove it. River Country has been there how many years?

trainplane3

If and I mean if they shut the Epcot line they wouldn't remove the beam. Costs nothing to leave it - costs money to remove it. River Country has been there how many years?
I could see them demoing the sections that cross over roads and parking lots. If they deteriorated to the point where they collapse, then they'd be looking at injuries or worse. It'd take a very long time for them to fall apart if I had to guess though. But isn't the Epcot line not built to the same level of quality as the resort loop? (Still high quality, but wasn't it a cheaper build?)

esskay

Really can’t see them closing the monorail. That seems a bit drastic and head office would never go for it, despite how much TDO likes their spreadsheets.

It’s something that needs to be given exception to the budget. A new fleet needs ordering immediately, and they seriously need to double down on their commitment to the monorail.

There’s clearly some people there still wanting it otherwise they wouldn’t have gone to the expense of the automation upgrades.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was it just my imagination or did the monorail originally run the opposite way during epcots construction?...
Yes.

When guest previews were open in the summer of 82 you took the monorail from the TTC. It ran counter-clockwise on the EPCOT beam, stopping first at the station. Guests disembarked, viewed the park from today’s exit platform, viewed art and spoke to CMs, then got on the next monorail for a slow, counterclockwise journey through Futureworld and back to the TTC.

Incomudro

I don't think it's a question of "afford" but a question of "How does it look on a spreadsheet?"

I don't think the Monorails look good on a spreadsheet and I think that "how it looks on a spreadsheet" is how the current managers work.

I'm not saying that the Monorail will be shut down later this year but as another poster has said, I think many of those reading this will see it happen in their lifetime.

You can say, "I can't imagine the Contemporary without the Monorail." Yeah, I get that. Imagine Tomorrowland without the Peoplemover or the Matterhorn without the Skyway going through it. Things change, you'll get used to the changes. If they were to shut it down they'd just close the garage doors on the Contemporary and you'd see dead beams for a decade or more. You'd think, "I remember when," but it wouldn't matter and you'd get used to it.

I agree with what you're saying up the "it wouldn't matter, and I'd get used to it" part.
It would always matter to me, and I'd never get used to it.
Might as well say it wouldn't matter if they got rid of the castle, and that I'd get used to that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I agree with what you're saying up the "it wouldn't matter, and I'd get used to it" part.
It would always matter to me, and I'd never get used to it.
Might as well say it wouldn't matter if they got rid of the castle, and that I'd get used to that.
The monorail isn't going anywhere folks.. It's too iconic.

Da Man

That's bull and you know it. Elevators are inspected on a regular basis - the certificate of operation is mounted in the car. If that emergency button wasn't working, the elevator would be taken out of service until the problem was fixed. They work, trust me, I've used them.

You really need to stop spreading misinformation about things you obviously have little knowledge of.

Ummm... Elevator technician of 25 years chiming in. The inspection sticker is renewed every year, but there is NO correlation between the State AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction-As defined by ASME 17.1) actually viewing and inspecting the elevator annually and the building owner or manager simply mailing in a check to the State authority and receiving the yearly operating permit.

Winter

Its going away its too expensive for todays TDO.
Which doesn't even make any sense. Not that I don't believe they consider it too expensive, but I mean that it doesn't make any sense that they would think that. Disney gets tons of money, isn't it one of the biggest companies in the world? I'm sure they could afford to run a monorail fleet.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And how percisely will guests get park and get to the MK? Logistically/landwise it just doesn't work.
If the cable gondola system works out well, I imagine there will be cables strung across the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake before too long...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom