Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

No Name

I can't recall a single ride at Universal that has you entering a movie or TV show.

Just because a ride is based on a movie/television franchise doesn't mean the ride has you enter the movie/show. Does Jack Sparrow enter the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in the PotC movies? Obviously not. Likewise, is a guest entering the movie Snow White on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? No, and that should be just as obvious. In both cases the movies and rides exist independently.

Look at the actual premise of the ride. The Tower of Terror is the only example I can think of, since the premise has you entering a lost episode of The Twilight Zone. GMR was another, MMRR will likely be another. I can't think of one at Universal.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I can't recall a single ride at Universal that has you entering a movie or TV show.

Just because a ride is based on a movie/television franchise doesn't mean the ride has you enter the movie/show. Does Jack Sparrow enter the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in the PotC movies? Obviously not. Likewise, is a guest entering the movie Snow White on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? No, and that should be just as obvious. In both cases the movies and rides exist independently.

Look at the actual premise of the ride. The Tower of Terror is the only example I can think of, since the premise has you entering a lost episode of The Twilight Zone. GMR was another, MMRR will likely be another. I can't think of one at Universal.
Gringott's does. It places you in the beginning of movie 8. And Race Through New York with Jimmy Fallon does.

No Name

Gringott's does. It places you in the beginning of movie 8. And Race Through New York with Jimmy Fallon does.

Gringotts may place you in that same story, but is the premise that you've actually entered the film? Or is it that you're experiencing this in the real world? I don't think anything in either land references the fact that the other media exists.

Race Through New York does have you entering the Tonight Show. So yeah, that counts, thank you.

ToTBellHop

Gringotts may place you in that same story, but is the premise that you've actually entered the film? Or is it that you're experiencing this in the real world? I don't think anything in either land references the fact that the other media exists.

Race Through New York does have you entering the Tonight Show. So yeah, that counts, thank you.
Revenge of the Mummy is clear about being on set at the end.

Movielover

concept was entering movies. Not a cartoon.

splitting-hairs.png

:rolleyes:

Movielover

Are you being purposely obtuse to be ironic or difficult?

I'm not being purposely anything... well besides being correct!

I answered your question with as much simplicity as I think one can understand. Both rides share a similar concept.

Of course you knew that already which is why you are attempting to change the topic by ignoring my response and hastily trying to insult my intelligence.

I believe my answer was on point, more than a point really, you could say that the angle of my point was over 100... Which yes, would make me obtuse.

Eagerly awaiting your oh so cleaver response!

good-day-sir.gif

ToTBellHop

I'm not being purposely anything... well besides being correct!

I answered your question with as much simplicity as I think one can understand. Both rides share a similar concept.

Of course you knew that already which is why you are attempting to change the topic by ignoring my response and hastily trying to insult my intelligence.

I believe my answer was on point, more than a point really, you could say that the angle of my point was over 100... Which yes, would make me obtuse.

Eagerly awaiting your oh so cleaver response!

good-day-sir.gif
Great Movie Ride transported guests into classic movies.
Runaway Railway transports them into a cartoon that Disney made up for the ride. The only similarities are that they are rides and both transport you into something based upon entertainment--as is the case for every ride at DHS and, in fact, most rides at Walt Disney World.

Runaway Railway is about as similar to GMR as Midway Mania is.

Charlie Bucket for the win.

Movielover

Great Movie Ride transported guests into classic movies.
Runaway Railway transports them into a cartoon that Disney made up for the ride.

Yes! that is the same concept! You're actually getting it!

If I were to pick 2 rides that have a different concept from one another I would say GMR and Soarin.
One is giving you the experience of transporting you into a piece of entertainment, the other is giving you the simulated experience of hang gliding.

I'm so glad that you are understanding now! You may now have the keys to the chocolate factory!

Frizzball

GMR and MMRR share similarities only when you describe them in the vaguest way possible and to imply otherwise is ridiculous. MMRR takes you in to the world of a series of short cartoons which the vast majority of visitors will not have seen. It will be fun yes and provide a tangential link to the parks premise by way of Mickey and the cartoons but GMR was the very centre piece of what the park promised to do, and what in my opinion it no longer does. GMR took you into the world of movie production itself, taking you through classic film after classic film and really celebrating cinema. MMRR does not do this, cannot do this even thanks to it's limited scope, to say they are the same is to willingly miss the entire point.

ToTBellHop

GMR and MMRR share similarities only when you describe them in the vaguest way possible and to imply otherwise is ridiculous. MMRR takes you in to the world of a series of short cartoons which the vast majority of visitors will not have seen. It will be fun yes and provide a tangential link to the parks premise by way of Mickey and the cartoons but GMR was the very centre piece of what the park promised to do, and what in my opinion it no longer does. GMR took you into the world of movie production itself, taking you through classic film after classic film and really celebrating cinema. MMRR does not do this, cannot do this even thanks to it's limited scope, to say they are the same is to willingly miss the entire point.
Exactly!

Runaway Railway will be wonderful and is a perfect choice for DHS. But, it should not be the centerpiece of the park. It should be the E-ticket for Animation Courtyard.

As has been discussed.

Ad nauseam.

Pixieish

Once again, the question was about their core concept, which are very similar.

Of course the execution, theme's, tone's, and plots are different.
Sorry, they aren't similar at all. One takes you through the classic films of old Hollywood, with two iconic-type scenes acted out live. You aren't "part" of the films...you're learning about them. The new ride puts you into the cartoon. Huge difference.

EricsBiscuit

Sorry, they aren't similar at all. One takes you through the classic films of old Hollywood, with two iconic-type scenes acted out live. You aren't "part" of the films...you're learning about them. The new ride puts you into the cartoon. Huge difference.
I disagree. I think that you were part of the movies. That was the Magic of the attraction. The witch scolding you, the bandit trying to commandeer the vehicle etc. very much put us in the center of the action.

DisneyDodo

I disagree. I think that you were part of the movies. That was the Magic of the attraction. The witch scolding you, the bandit trying to commandeer the vehicle etc. very much put us in the center of the action.
I'm not really sure what the purpose of this argument is, but here's my unsolicited $0.02:

cent 1: From a purely semantic standpoint, I would agree that these attractions do both put you in movies.

cent 2: In terms of relevance, I don't really see any at all, other than the fact that it makes a theater-themed show building somewhat appropriate for each. In terms of the ride experience itself, I think the fact that you are supposed to be "in the movies" is quite an arbitrary characteristic to focus on. I'd say the connection between these two ride experiences is less strong than that of Journey of the Little Mermaid and Turtle Talk with Crush, in their both taking place "under the sea," for example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom