Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The only thing that makes sense to me is having it behind the Seas area and maybe move some of the parking setup they have there....that way it would be right next to the monorail station. Would they have to expand the monorail station? I suppose it depends on how many guests they're planning for the hotel

Bocabear

Indeed. I remember when it was unveiled. Had a feature in The Disney Magazine IIRC.
And really, the drawings for what was planned so far outshone the actual completed space... I like Encounter, but it just did not have the WOW of the concepts...

Funmeister

I’m dead against anything being placed in the parking lot. The area is a perfect reveal from toll plaza to SSE. It shouldn’t be destroyed for profit. I’d rather keep the tombstones, not that we should have to choose.

There’s plenty of resort designated plots left in WDW. Stick it there.

Bambi Lake would be perfect!

ABQ

So a Googie style is about all that would work there, imho. As has been mentioned, like the Theme Building, or the old TWA terminal at JFK airport or the old waterfalls at the entrance to Tomorrowland from the hub. If they do that, I think even @Bocabear would agree, it's not like every other hotel you see in FL, right?

Bocabear

Even I would agree...lol
What concerns me more is what we see them producing...Gone are bold experimental lines of John Hench's architecture....replaced with whatever that muddled style building is they are doing for the Caribbean Beach Expansion... If we could see a return opf landmark architecture I would not be as afraid for WDW's future...

Bocabear

I can imagine hotel designs that would complement the entrance of Epcot. I have a harder time imagining the 2017 Disney company actually building any of those.
BINGO! That is my concern....
Disney-Riviera-Resort_Full_30590.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So a Googie style is about all that would work there, imho. As has been mentioned, like the Theme Building, or the old TWA terminal at JFK airport or the old waterfalls at the entrance to Tomorrowland from the hub. If they do that, I think even @Bocabear would agree, it's not like every other hotel you see in FL, right?
How is Googie what would work? Future World isn’t Googie or retro space age.

180º

I love Googie architecture, but it does not blend well with Epcot. The Epcot (EPCOT, take your pick) aesthetic is much more “Information Age” than “Space Age.” Just as an example, SSE2007 dabbled in ‘60s retro futuristic style and I think suffered from it.

BlindChow

The current Epcot entrance feels no different than a dozen regional zoos I've been to: functional and uninspired.

I understand objections based on what current management has done elsewhere, but not ones based on nostalgia. The entire Transportation Center / Front Gate / pre-Spaceship Earth area could greatly benefit from a radical redesign IMO.

matt9112

The current Epcot entrance feels no different than a dozen regional zoos I've been to: functional and uninspired.

I understand objections based on what current management has done elsewhere, but not ones based on nostalgia. The entire Transportation Center / Front Gate / pre-Spaceship Earth area could greatly benefit from a radical redesign IMO.

i think most people want a redesign. There ARE older aspects that should make a return. One of my favorites is the illuminated crystal like feature that used to be on top of the entrance fountain. One can only assume this was removed because photos? and than the grave yard before that detracts from the grand reveal and makes the entry far more cluttered than it needs to be. (these could be moved to a nice memorial garden outside the park gate) than flanking these you have the worn look of the old buildings that could be touched up a bit maybe a nice lighting package that wraps around all of future world. beyond this the bathrooms on the left flank should be totally redone. however theirs one thing this part of the park screams for...greenery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom