Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Pixieish

Well, if you guys really want to get technical...isn't any idea an intellectual property once patented or copyrighted? If the answer to that question is yes, then even the original EPCOT was IP-based.

(No harm meant...I'm just having fun with you guys! ;) Feel free to throw tomatoes or whatever.*hides in the corner*)

shortstop

Well, if you guys really want to get technical...isn't any idea an intellectual property once patented or copyrighted? If the answer to that question is yes, then even the original EPCOT was IP-based.

(No harm meant...I'm just having fun with you guys! ;) Feel free to throw tomatoes or whatever.*hides in the corner*)
I know you’re joking around, but for those who actually make this argument...

When people on this forum discuss IPs being put into the parks, they are referring to movies/characters that were born on a medium OUTSIDE of the parks. To take it a step further, usually it’s a reference to properties that were not originally Disney (looking at you, Quill).

Pixieish

When people on this forum discuss IPs being put into the parks, they are referring to movies/characters that were born on a medium OUTSIDE of the parks. To take it a step further, usually it’s a reference to properties that were not originally Disney (looking at you, Quill).

Oh, I know. I have nothing against the generally accepted use of "IP" in that sense or even their placement in the parks, as long as they make sense. *cough-FROZEN-GotG:MB-cough*

I was really just having some fun - I'm in "analytical brain mode" working on a finishing up a paper for a capstone class, haven't slept in more than 24 hours and the thought brought out my silly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

You’re absolutely right. But “modern IP shoehorning for the sake of synergy, cross promotion and short term gain at the expense of watering down the long term guest experience” is a bit of a mouthful.

Pixieish

You’re absolutely right. But “modern IP shoehorning for the sake of synergy, cross promotion and short term gain at the expense of watering down the long term guest experience” is a bit of a mouthful.
:hilarious: It sure is!! And I totally get where you guys are coming from, and I'm right beside you on most of this stuff.

DisneyDodo

Epcot was a none IP park. MK was mainly none IP outside of Fantaysland as stated. Now IP is being shoved in anywhere they can, at the expense of an original story and original characters.
I’m not arguing that there weren’t parts of WDW that were originally created sans IPs. My assertion is that these areas were not designated as non-IP zones. Fantasyland was full of IPs because most of the films Disney had available to them at the time were in the fantasy genre. There is nothing about adventure, the West, or the future that would imply a lack of movie-generated IP

lazyboy97o

The term “IP” is inappropriate for discussing the current view of the parks because it does not properly capture the strategy. The parks, like the rest of the company, are supposed to be committed to franchises. This is a more specific subset of IP and why an amazing ride based on some oft-forgotten film is not likely to happen and why what is done today is so different from the past use of IP.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Well, to split hairs, both Disneyland and WDW were built on orange groves and/or swampland, so if you want to run the concept of "originality" all the way down to its roots... neither property was originally Disney's. They bought them and jammed the parks onto agricultural land or aquifer recharge zones.

So the circle of life continues.

Magenta Panther

Epcot was a none IP park. MK was mainly none IP outside of Fantaysland as stated. Now IP is being shoved in anywhere they can, at the expense of an original story and original characters.

One has to wonder if an attraction like Pirates or the Mansion would even be considered today. And that is very sad. It's bad enough to walk down Main Street at WDW and it's just gift shop after gift shop after gift shop. Appalling.

PizzaPlanet

Although it's important to remember that the studio's IPs were struggling in the 70s and 80s, and they couldn't have filled a park with IP even if they wanted to. You have to wonder if company leaders in that era would have stuffed more IPs in the park if the studio was creating massive box-office successes like they are today.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Although it's important to remember that the studio's IPs were struggling in the 70s and 80s, and they couldn't have filled a park with IP even if they wanted to. You have to wonder if company leaders in that era would have stuffed more IPs in the park if the studio was creating massive box-office successes like they are today.
Successful movies were imported into the parks, In tandem with original ideas. We got Lion King and Alien Encounter, Mermaid and Timekeeper.

Everest seems to be the last none IP project in Orlando. Right now Iger and Chapek have a mandate that everything new must be a cross promotion tie in. We would never see a Mystic Manor anywhere else with this mentality let alone a Thundermountain or a Spaceship Earth.

Pixieish

Successful movies were imported into the parks, In tandem with original ideas. We got Lion King and Alien Encounter, Mermaid and Timekeeper.

Everest seems to be the last none IP project in Orlando. Right now Iger and Chapek have a mandate that everything new must be a cross promotion tie in. We would never see a Mystic Manor anywhere else with this mentality let alone a Thundermountain or a Spaceship Earth.

This last is a HUGE shame. And I'm of the opinion that they NEED to make a decent HM movie (let's face it - the Eddie Murphy one was awful). They could also do something for BTM. SSE might be tougher, but I bet if they set some creative minds loose with it they could come up with something.

I will admit that I looooved Tomorrowland. I know most people hate it, but I found it (the end especially) inspiring.

Magic Feather

Some recent proposals I have seen do have "cross promotion tie in" (with long justifications explained in the proposals), that are technically IP-less. While that may be the corporate wording for the mandate, the reality of the mandate is: Can this draw more revenue than simply from ticket sales? As in, will it have merch, food & bev, etc. accompanying it.

RSoxNo1

If only someone warned of this...
http://micechat.com/101023-tim-grassey-addicted-easy-money/

FigmentJedi

This last is a HUGE shame. And I'm of the opinion that they NEED to make a decent HM movie (let's face it - the Eddie Murphy one was awful). They could also do something for BTM. SSE might be tougher, but I bet if they set some creative minds loose with it they could come up with something.

I will admit that I looooved Tomorrowland. I know most people hate it, but I found it (the end especially) inspiring.
Disney Kingdoms's Big Thunder book was basically the Western equivalent of one of the modern Princess movies. Very adaptable.

Journey into Imagination's would be much easier to handle as a film then Spaceship Earth though. I would say if you had to try embodying the Epcot of old into a new media franchise, building off of Figment and Dreamfinder's comic books is how you do it and Spaceship Earth is already set to be a Macguffin for whenever they decide to do Figment 3.

Pixieish

Disney Kingdoms's Big Thunder book was basically the Western equivalent of one of the modern Princess movies. Very adaptable.

Journey into Imagination's would be much easier to handle as a film then Spaceship Earth though. I would say if you had to try embodying the Epcot of old into a new media franchise, building off of Figment and Dreamfinder's comic books is how you do it and Spaceship Earth is already set to be a Macguffin for whenever they decide to do Figment 3.

I would seriously freak the hell out if they did a Dreamfinder and Figment movie. Like lose my mind for a short while, be over the moon, joyful to the point of idiocy freak out.

As long as they did it right.

sedati

Original? Not to split hairs, but I don't think it's fair to categorize concepts as being either IP or original. A lot of what is being called original seems to really just be something that is new for Disney.

A studios theme park, and most every component within was new to Disney, but not what I would call original.

Epcot was by admission a World's Fair. Was making it permanent what makes it original? World Showcase type pavilions were nothing new, nor were science and technology attractions. Disney took much from it's own Ford's Magic Skyway to create both Universe of Energy and World of Motion. Horizons had simularities to Futurama.

Some Magic Kingdom attractions may not have played off any Disney specific IP, but their designers often took cues for both story and visuals from the IP of other studios.

I'm not saying there's a difference, but I think IPs are just striking people as too specific a tie-in, or too recent and familiar. The so-called original concepts are often really just "new to me" ideas. Disney crafting park experiences by building off the works and ideas of others- original and good. Disney crafting park experiences by building off the works and ideas of Disney- uninspired and bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom