Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

lazyboy97o

Absolutely...When WDW's Main Street stopped having individual stores and combined it all into a Disney's Wal-Mart of Souvenirs, it definitely lost a lot of it's charm... The Disneyland Paris Main street has a lot more layers of storytelling, billboard, auto showroom, residences... they all come together n a way that WDW just does not have....then add the by[*** arcades, beautifully themed and decorated, and you really wonder why WDW didn't add them decades ago...
Main Street, USA at Disneyland Paris and Magic Kingdom are a great example of how theme and experience are more than just outward form. They share a lot in form, because of copying, but Disneyland Paris is much richer.

Casper Gutman

What about FEA? And what other E tickets fall into this category at WDW?
Not sure what FEA is (I'm sure it's obvious and I'll kick myself when someone tells me.)

As for E ticket dark rides - Mansion, Pirates, Small World, GMR (RIP), Tower (depending on definition, and I'd include it), Spaceship Earth, World of Motion (RIP), Horizons (RIP), Journey Into Imagination (RIP). That list gives a pretty good idea of why I think WDW is moving in the wrong direction - they're removing the great dark rides a lot faster than they're building them.

WDWStarport75

Never been to DLP and I don't know the numbers but I'm sure WDW is much more visited and touristy than DLP. Magic Kingdoms Main Street, USA is the so called Wal Mart because they know everyone is going to buy whatever they put out, much to our dismay. So the more retail space the better, I suppose. They're going to design/build wherever the $$$ is. In a perfect world, I would like all these large shops, such as the emporium, be removed and re-imagined as specialty shops or just walk through gallery's, and utilize the World of Disney Store at Disney Springs as the major shopping destination for souvenirs. I just hope when it comes to a potential Indy themed land/attraction they consider placing it where it fits best, which imo is DHS, where the stunt show and Star Tours is.

lazyboy97o

Never been to DLP and I don't know the numbers but I'm sure WDW is much more visited and touristy than DLP. Magic Kingdoms Main Street, USA is the so called Wal Mart because they know everyone is going to buy whatever they put out, much to our dismay. So the more retail space the better, I suppose. They're going to design/build wherever the $$$ is. In a perfect world, I would like all these large shops, such as the emporium, be removed and re-imagined as specialty shops or just walk through gallery's, and utilize the World of Disney Store at Disney Springs as the major shopping destination for souvenirs. I just hope when it comes to a potential Indy themed land/attraction they consider placing it where it fits best, which imo is DHS, where the stunt show and Star Tours is.
Much of Main Street, USA at Disneyland Paris was copied from the Magic Kingdom. The organization of the spaces within Main Street, USA is a design problem, some of it influenced by decisions elsewhere but not ones that couldn’t be addressed if desired.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not sure what FEA is (I'm sure it's obvious and I'll kick myself when someone tells me.)

As for E ticket dark rides - Mansion, Pirates, Small World, GMR (RIP), Tower (depending on definition, and I'd include it), Spaceship Earth, World of Motion (RIP), Horizons (RIP), Journey Into Imagination (RIP). That list gives a pretty good idea of why I think WDW is moving in the wrong direction - they're removing the great dark rides a lot faster than they're building them.

FEA = Frozen Ever After. I prefer to add "Ride" at the end so it gets called FEAR, personally

RSoxNo1

Avatar is a lousy property, no doubt. But I'm pretty sure of what I want - I want A-ticket dark rides of the type WDW hasn't added since Splash Mountain, the sort of thing they used to do better than any other company in the world. They can still do it - look at Mystic Manor and Shanghai Pirates. What I DON'T want are rides that are entirely based on screens (Rat, probably Mickey) or very short coasters in the dark with cardboard cut out props (GotG, Tron).

I have immense, immense hope for SWL. Beyond that, I'm fairly certain my desire for top-level dark rides is more likely to be fulfilled by Uni then by Disney.
You can dislike AVATAR as an intellectual property/movie, but it certainly lends itself to a themed environment. Moreover, it is the first singular movie IP devoted land that accents the park that it's in, furthering a cohesive theme.

Also, you've got E-tickets and A-tickets mixed up.

That's part of a quote
Casper's post quoted above got messed up and then when you quoted it you got rolled into his crazy.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I wouldn't necessarily call triceratops spin a cheap fair ground ride. While I agree it's not up to par for a Disney type attraction, a lot of seasonal amusement parks have and rely on spinning wild mouse coasters as both a good family coaster and beginner coaster, so it does have value. That being said, I don't want Dinoland going anywhere but would like an Indy themed land somewhere on property. I think AK needs the dinosaur aspect in it's park.
TriceraTop Spin is the spinner, Primeval Whirl is the spinning coaster. Both are part of a land that's an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful park.

Casper Gutman

You can dislike AVATAR as an intellectual property/movie, but it certainly lends itself to a themed environment. Moreover, it is the first singular movie IP devoted land that accents the park that it's in, furthering a cohesive theme.

Also, you've got E-tickets and A-tickets mixed up.

Casper's post quoted above got messed up and then when you quoted it you got rolled into his crazy.

I did mix up E and A tickets, you're correct. Care to explain why I'm "crazy"? The fact that I think WDW's strength is major dark rides and that it's been moving away from that for decades?

I've explained in the past why I don't find Avatar a particularly thrilling subject for a themed land, so I won't rehash it. I will agree that it fits thematically into AK. However, I don't agree that either of the Potter lands AREN'T thematically cohesive with their respective parks. Cars Land doesn't really fit in DCA, but I find it and the Potter areas much, much more compelling and complete than Avatar. That's a subjective opinion, of course.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm not sure whether this post is pro or anti Frozen Ever After. Just for clarification, it's not an E. It's a C/D.
Pro FEA. Although I don't think that it fits particularly well in Norway (would have been better in Fantasyland), it's well done and the newer anamatroimcs are impressive. I included it because I think many of the dark rides mentioned are really more C/D ticket, not E.

jt04

I agree with what you say completely.
This is still a bogus rumor I am assuming ....

No, pretty sure they are in blue sky discussion of which park should showcase the franchise. It isn't Star Wars level ROI potential but not a distant second either.

In my opinion.

bclane

Pro FEA. Although I don't think that it fits particularly well in Norway (would have been better in Fantasyland), it's well done and the newer anamatroimcs are impressive. I included it because I think many of the dark rides mentioned are really more C/D ticket, not E.
Yeah it’s too bad they didn’t put it in Fantasyland. It would have probably gotten a lot more love from the hardcore fan base if it wasn’t a replacement for Maelstrom. The animatronics are great and it’s a fairly enjoyable ride for what it is.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Tower of Terror opened in 1994. Splash Mountain and Great Movie Ride in 1989. The Epcot dark rides in 82/83. Pirates and Haunted Mansion in the 70s. Nothing much in the way of dark rides in the 90s other than Tower of Terror and Winnie the Pooh, and nothing at all in the 00's. This decade we had Little Mermaid, Frozen, and Navi. But none of those are really E tickets. In reality since Splash/GMR opened the dark ride has really declined in Disney Imagineering.

jt04

Why is DAK the perfect park for Indiana Jones? There are IJ story treatments that could literally work for every park.

It would overwhelm the turnstiles at DHS.
Adventureland is too small to feature such an important franchise.
Epcot is not right for obvious reasons.

An Indy adventure would be best realised in a naturalistic setting. DAK fits that requirement perfectly.

Or perhaps they could go with a boutique park. Like a scaled up Discovery Cove and new Star Wars hotel mashup.

Strictly my personal opinion.

Timothy_Q

In reality since Splash/GMR opened the dark ride has really declined in Disney Imagineering.

In the american parks.

Imagineering still knows how to make great dark rides, they just haven’t been given the opportunity to create one in the US lately.

Mystic Manor, Hunny Hunt, 20.000 Leagues (tds), Journey (tds), Sinbad, Shanghai Pirates, and the future BATB are all amazing examples of classic dark rides with today’s tech

mikejs78

Premium Member
In the american parks.

Imagineering still knows how to make great dark rides, they just haven’t been given the opportunity to create one in the US lately.

Mystic Manor, Hunny Hunt, 20.000 Leagues (tds), Journey (tds), Sinbad, Shanghai Pirates, and the future BATB are all amazing examples of classic dark rides with today’s tech
True. I forget about the international parks since I'm not too familiar with them..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom