Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Casper Gutman

I think it proves two things - one, we don't really want what we think we want, and two, Avatar is just a boring property that few care about on its own.[/QUOTE]

Avatar is a lousy property, no doubt. But I'm pretty sure of what I want - I want A-ticket dark rides of the type WDW hasn't added since Splash Mountain, the sort of thing they used to do better than any other company in the world. They can still do it - look at Mystic Manor and Shanghai Pirates. What I DON'T want are rides that are entirely based on screens (Rat, probably Mickey) or very short coasters in the dark with cardboard cut out props (GotG, Tron).

I have immense, immense hope for SWL. Beyond that, I'm fairly certain my desire for top-level dark rides is more likely to be fulfilled by Uni then by Disney.

Casper Gutman

Dude, did you hit your head or something? You yourself had once posted it was 5 minutes long....
Charming. I'm saying the exact same thing there that I am here - the ride time is a little over 4 minutes, and any length beyond that is attributable to what I described as a "Pirates of the Caribbean style log jam." Which the video you posted shows.

This may be a semantic issue - is "ride time" the time an averagely-laden boat takes to go from load to unload in an empty flume, or does it encompass log jams and ride stoppages? I'd argue the former, since logjams do little to heighten the ride experience. I suspect - though I am not sure - that that is the definition Marni is using that you challenged.

As I said above, the bottom line is that the ride feels very short.

DisneyDodo

Avatar is a lousy property, no doubt. But I'm pretty sure of what I want - I want A-ticket dark rides of the type WDW hasn't added since Splash Mountain, the sort of thing they used to do better than any other company in the world. They can still do it - look at Mystic Manor and Shanghai Pirates. What I DON'T want are rides that are entirely based on screens (Rat, probably Mickey) or very short coasters in the dark with cardboard cut out props (GotG, Tron).

I have immense, immense hope for SWL. Beyond that, I'm fairly certain my desire for top-level dark rides is more likely to be fulfilled by Uni then by Disney.
Ummm... how many “top-level dark rides” of the type you describe do they have at Universal?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and any length beyond that is attributable to what I described as a "Pirates of the Caribbean style log jam."

You're wrong. The logjam does not bring it to five minutes. It's usually just under five minutes without the log jam. Don't know why you have a problem understanding from launch to hitting the unload ramp. I never counted log jams in my time trials.

Saying "it's a little over 4 minutes" is a bald faced untruth.

Casper Gutman

Ummm... how many “top-level dark rides” of the type you describe do they have at Universal?
None! And yet... all reliable reports are that they intend to fix that, while WDW is moving in the exact opposite direction with a growing reliance on screens and coasters (beyond SWL's Alcatraz).

Casper Gutman

You're wrong. The logjam does not bring it to five minutes. It's usually just under five minutes without the log jam. Don't know why you have a problem understanding from launch to hitting the unload ramp. I never counted log jams in my time trials.

Saying "it's a little over 4 minutes" is a bald faced untruth.
Again, we are discussing the video you yourself posted, in which the logjam begins at about 4:20. If that video didn't prove your point, you shouldn't have posted it.

And neither of us is lying, we're essentially arguing over the definition of the term "ride time." Or we were, because this is silly and I'm done. However you define "ride time," it's a lackluster ride.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Again, we are discussing the video you yourself posted, in which the logjam begins at about 4:20. If that video didn't prove your point, you shouldn't have posted it.

And neither of us is lying, we're essentially arguing over the definition of the term "ride time." Or we were, because this is silly and I'm done. However you define "ride time," it's a lackluster ride.

The "logjam" isn't really a jam. They're all still moving. Other videos without the logs touching before they hit the end show a ride length, on average, just under 5 minutes.

Bye.

sedati

The "logjam" isn't really a jam. They're all still moving. Other videos without the logs touching before they hit the end show a ride length, on average, just under 5 minutes.

Bye.

Ugh... I'm having severe forum deja-vu. We had this same argument over at the Navi River thread recently. From personal experience and every Youtube POV I watched (from splashdown to belt- no stopping) the shortest I could find was maybe a second or two under five. Most go well over. Not one came anywhere near four. I'm not questioning designed speed, only observing average implemented speed. Somehow I guess I lost the argument as it's popped up here now. Damn my lying eyes (same eyes that see little difference between the design/build quality of the backside of Mission Space in comparison to the backside of The Land.)

EricsBiscuit

I think it proves two things - one, we don't really want what we think we want, and two, Avatar is just a boring property that few care about on its own.

I have immense, immense hope for SWL. Beyond that, I'm fairly certain my desire for top-level dark rides is more likely to be fulfilled by Uni then by Disney.[/QUOTE]Tron is not cardboard cutouts. It has some cool special effects and it's queue is amazing.

Cesar R M

Good grief the colors in that video do not do the ride justice at all. They look terrible compared to being on the actual ride.
Cranking the ISO up and reducing the Contrast seems to have been used in this video to show an effect of "low light". I wonder what camera was used. Usually the best 4k videos (that is not with pro cameras) are with the Panasonic GH4 and GH5.

Cesar R M

Are you going to grind for six months to get all the Heroes or are you gonna end up buying them for actual money like EA wants?

Just wait for Ea's own console.
1KXN6JB.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's a missed opportunity in a park that desper
Cranking the ISO up and reducing the Contrast seems to have been used in this video to show an effect of "low light". I wonder what camera was used. Usually the best 4k videos (that is not with pro cameras) are with the Panasonic GH4 and GH5.
No, its true low light. For some reason it's desaturated.

Mark Dunne

I sure hope not. I'd love for Indy to have a greater presence at WDW, but AK is not the park for it.
For me dinoland USA is not a great land, the ride is overblown loud plus triceratops spin is cheap fair ground ride that’s just not the Disney way of theming, I’d like to see a A grade dinosaur animatronic ride; or journey through the prehistoric past. IMO

WDWStarport75

For me dinoland USA is not a great land, the ride is overblown loud plus triceratops spin is cheap fair ground ride that’s just not the Disney way of theming, I’d like to see a A grade dinosaur animatronic ride; or journey through the prehistoric past. IMO
I wouldn't necessarily call triceratops spin a cheap fair ground ride. While I agree it's not up to par for a Disney type attraction, a lot of seasonal amusement parks have and rely on spinning wild mouse coasters as both a good family coaster and beginner coaster, so it does have value. That being said, I don't want Dinoland going anywhere but would like an Indy themed land somewhere on property. I think AK needs the dinosaur aspect in it's park.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I wouldn't necessarily call triceratops spin a cheap fair ground ride. While I agree it's not up to par for a Disney type attraction, a lot of seasonal amusement parks have and rely on spinning wild mouse coasters as both a good family coaster and beginner coaster, so it does have value. That being said, I don't want Dinoland going anywhere but would like an Indy themed land somewhere on property. I think AK needs the dinosaur aspect in it's park.

I agree, Dinoland needs to stay, but Dinorama needs to go. Dinoland should be rethemed to be an immersive prehistoric land.

mikejs78

Premium Member

What about FEA? And what other E tickets fall into this category at WDW?

dennis-in-ct

Well, it's setting is a small town at the turn of the century.

But it's theme is optimism with patriotism and invention used heavily to convey this.

I my opinion, Disneyland Paris expresses optimism with patriotism and invention the best. The Liberty arcades that run the length of main street on either side are themed such and drive the message. WDW would benefit from these arcades for some much needed crowd control and protection from rain.

Last edited:

dennis-in-ct

Disneyland had to do that due to space constraints. WDW has the luxury of putting content where most appropriate thematically. Clearly DAK is the perfect park for the franchise.

I agree with what you say completely.
This is still a bogus rumor I am assuming ....

Bocabear

I my opinion, Disneyland Paris expresses optimism with patriotism and invention the best. The Liberty arcades that run the length of main street on either side are themed such and drive the message. WDW would benefit with from the arcades for some much needed crowd control and protection from rain.
Absolutely...When WDW's Main Street stopped having individual stores and combined it all into a Disney's Wal-Mart of Souvenirs, it definitely lost a lot of it's charm... The Disneyland Paris Main street has a lot more layers of storytelling, billboard, auto showroom, residences... they all come together n a way that WDW just does not have....then add the by[ arcades, beautifully themed and decorated, and you really wonder why WDW didn't add them decades ago...

dennis-in-ct

Absolutely...When WDW's Main Street stopped having individual stores and combined it all into a Disney's Wal-Mart of Souvenirs, it definitely lost a lot of it's charm... The Disneyland Paris Main street has a lot more layers of storytelling, billboard, auto showroom, residences... they all come together n a way that WDW just does not have....then add the by[*** arcades, beautifully themed and decorated, and you really wonder why WDW didn't add them decades ago...

Now that MK is building the theater off main street, it gives them the perfect opportunity to add a proper arcade - ala DLP

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom