Is Disneyland Different Enough...

GiveMeTheMusic

Does anyone know if I have a chance at just randomly walking up to the Liberty Tree Tavern some time this week without a reservation and proceeding to get drunk before walking back across the street to HM?

You have a chance, yes, but walk ups to table service places at WDW are very dicey.

Professortango1

To be fair, that article is a year and a half old, and was written before Avatar and Rivers of Light debuted. Animal Kingdom isn’t perfect, but it’s Disney’s best park in Florida by a long shot, and a very large portion of it is reflective of just how good WDI can be.

I prefer MK or EPCOT. AK had beautiful lands and themeing, but when visited, all the trails around the Tree of Life were closed, most of the trails had closed exhibits, and Kali River Rapids is one of the worst rafting rides I've ever slept through. I had heard so much about Festival of the Lion King, but it was just the old Disneyland parade floats from the 90's in a big warehouse. We tried to wait for Rivers of Light, but because we got there in the morning, we just got tired of killing time. We did the park in about 4 hours, including about 4 rides on Everest. Gorgeous, but lacking things to do.

Jones14

I prefer MK or EPCOT. AK had beautiful lands and themeing, but when visited, all the trails around the Tree of Life were closed, most of the trails had closed exhibits, and Kali River Rapids is one of the worst rafting rides I've ever slept through. I had heard so much about Festival of the Lion King, but it was just the old Disneyland parade floats from the 90's in a big warehouse. We tried to wait for Rivers of Light, but because we got there in the morning, we just got tired of killing time. We did the park in about 4 hours, including about 4 rides on Everest. Gorgeous, but lacking things to do.

I just hate how worn down EPCOT feels. The park is vast, and I’m always reminded of how much wasted potential the park has every time I walk through the graveyard formerly known as Future World. World Showcase is fine, but I feel like I can get the world tour experience done better in AK.

MK to me is also a bit of a waste, but for the inverse reason. Aside from HEA, Haunted Mansion, and Splash, there’s nothing there that feels worthy of being in the most attended park in the world. Most of this is due to upkeep, as there’s quite a bit to do. Space and Big Thunder could easily be leagues better, and the state of the Fantasyland dark rides is just shameful. The park rests on its nostalgia laurels, and I hate that about it.

AK feels like the only park where they actually try. The ‘Big Three’ of that park is the best (to me), the theming is superb, and the variety of attractions feels the most balanced. I will admit that if you’re not about animals, it’s tougher to fill out a day, but I can’t criticize AK for sticking to its niche when we all long for EPCOT to return to its edutainment roots. If I only had one day, one park, in Florida to take someone to Disney, I’d pick AK every time.

Professortango1

I just hate how worn down EPCOT feels. The park is vast, and I’m always reminded of how much wasted potential the park has every time I walk through the graveyard formerly known as Future World. World Showcase is fine, but I feel like I can get the world tour experience done better in AK.

MK to me is also a bit of a waste, but for the inverse reason. Aside from HEA, Haunted Mansion, and Splash, there’s nothing there that feels worthy of being in the most attended park in the world. Most of this is due to upkeep, as there’s quite a bit to do. Space and Big Thunder could easily be leagues better, and the state of the Fantasyland dark rides is just shameful. The park rests on its nostalgia laurels, and I hate that about it.

AK feels like the only park where they actually try. The ‘Big Three’ of that park is the best (to me), the theming is superb, and the variety of attractions feels the most balanced. I will admit that if you’re not about animals, it’s tougher to fill out a day, but I can’t criticize AK for sticking to its niche when we all long for EPCOT to return to its edutainment roots. If I only had one day, one park, in Florida to take someone to Disney, I’d pick AK every time.

Yeah, if I had one day, AK and Disney Studios are coupled well together since both are 1/2 day parks at best. EPCOT does need some work, but the variety in types of large scale attractions always keeps me engaged. There's no piddly small rides at EPCOT. Everything feels pretty grand, even if the subject matter isn't your cup of tea. Plus, I can drink around the world.

jaxonp

This is a bazar. DCA is easily the 2nd best park in SoCal and it's not even close. Carsland alone is worth the price of admission. The World of Color is incredible, Soarin, Guardians, Grizzly, Toy Story. The sheer beauty of the park is hard to beat, besides the hollywood section. This hate must be coming from some old goons who seem to think it's a tumor attached to Disneyland. It's not.

UpAllNight

Original Poster
So...beyond Disneyland, what are the must see things in your opinions, on a ‘touristy’ kind of holiday in that general area?

And is it a viable option to spend 2 weeks ubering to get to it all?

jaxonp

So...beyond Disneyland, what are the must see things in your opinions, on a ‘touristy’ kind of holiday in that general area?

And is it a viable option to spend 2 weeks ubering to get to it all?

Hollywood, the hills, sunset blvd, rodeo (all very touristy)
Get outside and hike somewhere, plenty of options. Runyon is very popular.
Santa Monica - the pier, 3rd street promenade..could spend a few days here.
Venice Beach - right down the road from Santa Monica.
San Diego (2 hour drive) plenty to do if you rent a car for the day.
In and Out burger.

Stay off the 405, the 710, the 105... just stay off the roads.

Darkbeer1

It’ll be a package holiday due to costs so it will be a case of LAX and staying in the same hotel for 2 weeks but doing day trips using Uber, unfortunately. I plan on revisiting again in a few years and being more ad-hoc, but I’ve just got a mortgage so I’m a little more limited this year.

There’ll only be 2 of us, around 28 years old.

OK, first off, I am not a fan of packages, since I have a lot of Airline and Hotel points, so I prefer to pick my own airline and hotels, and I can get a better deal doing it myself. So I would only get the minimum from the package, and buy as much as I can myself.

So what Theme Park Tickets would I get, well, since you won't have a car, I would stay near Disneyland, and get a 5 day ParkHopper, that way you can plan for 3 full days, and add couple of partial days.

As for Universal Studios, I would plan for 2 days, so you can get this combo tour deal with transportation.

https://fareharbor.com/embeds/book/.../calendar/2017/11/?sheet=30007&full-items=yes

Then take Uber for the second day (Upgrade your USH ticket the first visit) and plan time to check out Universal CityWalk.

As for Knott's, I would also plan for 2 days. I would take the LA Metro Route 460 Bus from Disneyland to Knott's and Buena Park. One full day at the park, and then a second visit to do what you missed on day 1 and re-ride what you liked on day 1. Also make sure and have a meal at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant. And if you want a day at a water park, Knott's Soak City for the third. I would get a low cost Knott's SP, since it is almost the same price as a one day ticket, and has no blockout days.

Also to eat nearby, Porto's Café, Rock and Blues and Odori All you can eat Sushi. Plus hopefully the Butterfly Pavilion will be open. Plus you have three choices for dinner theaters, including Teatro Martini, an adult themed event.

Also, Buena Park Downtown is the best place for low cost shopping in the area.

https://www.visitbuenapark.com/

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team will be playing in August/September, and the ART shuttles offer free transportation to/from the games.

Outlet Shopping is available at the Outlets at Orange and Citadel Outlets. High Class shopping is at South Coast Plaza. Use Uber for all three locations, though the Citadel does have a nice Shuttle service as another option.

I would plan for one full day at Long Beach, if not two, including the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific. Uber there, and use the free Passport shuttle service to get around town,

http://www.visitlongbeach.com/

A day at Huntington Beach Pier and the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.surfcityusa.com/

Something different, take the Catalina Flyer from Newport Beach for the day.

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

What I would not do without a car, visit Santa Monica (Really bad traffic)

http://www.visitanaheim.org/

http://www.visittheoc.com/

As for where to stay, with one Hotel for two weeks, I would want is an extended-stay/Apartment(Flat) style Hotel near Disneyland.

On a budget, the Extended Stay America on Clementine is basic, but comes with a full fridge, and a kitchen.

Also two Residence Inn's, the new one on Katella and the older one on Clementine. Do not book the one on Harbor, as that is in Garden Grove and not walking distance to the park.

The new Hyatt House on Katella is another good choice.

be careful, some might advertise a kitchenette, which usually is a mini-fridge and microwave, and no pots and dishes.

So that is two weeks and all near Disneyland and a central Hotel, with good Uber/tours/public transit trips.

As for In-n-Out Burger, there is one at Harbor and Orangethorpe, 3 miles north of Disneyland. Take OCTA Route 543/43 to the location, which has a lot of shopping near it, and take Uber back if you but stuff. Sprouts Farmers Market is a good healthy choice to stock up your Hotel Room. There is also a SuperWalmart and a Target for standard food shopping. In-n-Out is awesome and worth the trip, plus it is a low cost option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger

>>The chain's image has also made it popular in more non-traditional ways. For example, In-N-Out is still considered acceptable in some areas with a strong opposition to corporate food restaurants, such as McDonald's. Local business leaders in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf district said they opposed every other fast food chain except In-N-Out, because they wanted to maintain the flavor of family-owned, decades-old businesses in the area, with one saying locals would ordinarily "be up in arms about a fast-food operation coming to Fisherman's Wharf," but "this is different."[10] California native and Colorado Rockies player Jason Giambi would often visit In-N-Out Burger when on the West Coast with his former team, the New York Yankees. He said he tried to open an In-N-Out Burger restaurant in New York, but was unsuccessful.[69]

The chain also has fans in a number of renowned chefs including Gordon Ramsay, Thomas Keller, Julia Child, Anthony Bourdain, and Mario Batali.[17] Famous London chef/restaurateur Ramsay ate In-N-Out for the first time when taping Hell's Kitchen in Los Angeles, and it soon became one of his favorite spots for take-out.[70] Ramsay was quoted, saying about the experience: "In-N-Out burgers were extraordinary. I was so bad, I sat in the restaurant, had my double cheeseburger then minutes later I drove back round and got the same thing again to take away."[70] Thomas Keller, a fan of In-N-out, celebrated with In-N-Out burgers at the anniversary party of his restaurant, The French Laundry.[71] Keller also plans on opening his own burger restaurant inspired by his Los Angeles experience of In-N-Out.[72] Julia Child, one of the first celebrities to champion the chain, admitted to knowing every location of the restaurant between Santa Barbara and San Francisco.[73] Child also had the burgers delivered to her during a hospital stay.[71] Anthony Bourdain reportedly said that In-N-Out was his favorite fast food meal;[71] later naming the restaurant as "the best restaurant in Los Angeles."[74][75] In-N-Out was one of the very few restaurant chains given a positive mention in the book Fast Food Nation. The book commended the chain for using natural and fresh ingredients and for looking after the interests of employees regarding pay and benefits.[76] An In-N-Out food truck catered Vanity Fair's 2012 Academy Awards after party.[77]<<

jaxonp

OK, first off, I am not a fan of packages, since I have a lot of Airline and Hotel points, so I prefer to pick my own airline and hotels, and I can get a better deal doing it myself. So I would only get the minimum from the package, and buy as much as I can myself.

So what Theme Park Tickets would I get, well, since you won't have a car, I would stay near Disneyland, and get a 5 day ParkHopper, that way you can plan for 3 full days, and add couple of partial days.

As for Universal Studios, I would plan for 2 days, so you can get this combo tour deal with transportation.

https://fareharbor.com/embeds/book/.../calendar/2017/11/?sheet=30007&full-items=yes

Then take Uber for the second day (Upgrade your USH ticket the first visit) and plan time to check out Universal CityWalk.

As for Knott's, I would also plan for 2 days. I would take the LA Metro Route 460 Bus from Disneyland to Knott's and Buena Park. One full day at the park, and then a second visit to do what you missed on day 1 and re-ride what you liked on day 1. Also make sure and have a meal at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant. And if you want a day at a water park, Knott's Soak City for the third. I would get a low cost Knott's SP, since it is almost the same price as a one day ticket, and has no blockout days.

Also to eat nearby, Porto's Café, Rock and Blues and Odori All you can eat Sushi. Plus hopefully the Butterfly Pavilion will be open. Plus you have three choices for dinner theaters, including Teatro Martini, an adult themed event.

Also, Buena Park Downtown is the best place for low cost shopping in the area.

https://www.visitbuenapark.com/

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team will be playing in August/September, and the ART shuttles offer free transportation to/from the games.

Outlet Shopping is available at the Outlets at Orange and Citadel Outlets. High Class shopping is at South Coast Plaza. Use Uber for all three locations, though the Citadel does have a nice Shuttle service as another option.

I would plan for one full day at Long Beach, if not two, including the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific. Uber there, and use the free Passport shuttle service to get around town,

http://www.visitlongbeach.com/

A day at Huntington Beach Pier and the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.surfcityusa.com/

Something different, take the Catalina Flyer from Newport Beach for the day.

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

What I would not do without a car, visit Santa Monica (Really bad traffic)

http://www.visitanaheim.org/

http://www.visittheoc.com/

As for where to stay, with one Hotel for two weeks, I would want is an extended-stay/Apartment(Flat) style Hotel near Disneyland.

On a budget, the Extended Stay America on Clementine is basic, but comes with a full fridge, and a kitchen.

Also two Residence Inn's, the new one on Katella and the older one on Clementine. Do not book the one on Harbor, as that is in Garden Grove and not walking distance to the park.

The new Hyatt House on Katella is another good choice.

be careful, some might advertise a kitchenette, which usually is a mini-fridge and microwave, and no pots and dishes.

So that is two weeks and all near Disneyland and a central Hotel, with good Uber/tours/public transit trips.

As for In-n-Out Burger, there is one at Harbor and Orangethorpe, 3 miles north of Disneyland. Take OCTA Route 543/43 to the location, which has a lot of shopping near it, and take Uber back if you but stuff. Sprouts Farmers Market is a good healthy choice to stock up your Hotel Room. There is also a SuperWalmart and a Target for standard food shopping. In-n-Out is awesome and worth the trip, plus it is a low cost option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger

>>The chain's image has also made it popular in more non-traditional ways. For example, In-N-Out is still considered acceptable in some areas with a strong opposition to corporate food restaurants, such as McDonald's. Local business leaders in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf district said they opposed every other fast food chain except In-N-Out, because they wanted to maintain the flavor of family-owned, decades-old businesses in the area, with one saying locals would ordinarily "be up in arms about a fast-food operation coming to Fisherman's Wharf," but "this is different."[10] California native and Colorado Rockies player Jason Giambi would often visit In-N-Out Burger when on the West Coast with his former team, the New York Yankees. He said he tried to open an In-N-Out Burger restaurant in New York, but was unsuccessful.[69]

The chain also has fans in a number of renowned chefs including Gordon Ramsay, Thomas Keller, Julia Child, Anthony Bourdain, and Mario Batali.[17] Famous London chef/restaurateur Ramsay ate In-N-Out for the first time when taping Hell's Kitchen in Los Angeles, and it soon became one of his favorite spots for take-out.[70] Ramsay was quoted, saying about the experience: "In-N-Out burgers were extraordinary. I was so bad, I sat in the restaurant, had my double cheeseburger then minutes later I drove back round and got the same thing again to take away."[70] Thomas Keller, a fan of In-N-out, celebrated with In-N-Out burgers at the anniversary party of his restaurant, The French Laundry.[71] Keller also plans on opening his own burger restaurant inspired by his Los Angeles experience of In-N-Out.[72] Julia Child, one of the first celebrities to champion the chain, admitted to knowing every location of the restaurant between Santa Barbara and San Francisco.[73] Child also had the burgers delivered to her during a hospital stay.[71] Anthony Bourdain reportedly said that In-N-Out was his favorite fast food meal;[71] later naming the restaurant as "the best restaurant in Los Angeles."[74][75] In-N-Out was one of the very few restaurant chains given a positive mention in the book Fast Food Nation. The book commended the chain for using natural and fresh ingredients and for looking after the interests of employees regarding pay and benefits.[76] An In-N-Out food truck catered Vanity Fair's 2012 Academy Awards after party.[77]<<

I cliff noted above.. you know what you're talking about though! Well done. I don't know if I'd spend more than a day at knotts but thats just me.

Darkbeer1

Thank You.

I am currently working on CoasterCon XLII for June 2019, and an TripAdvisor Expert for California.

CoasterCon main hosts are SFMM and Knott's, but working on side trips for other Roller Coasters in SoCal. (Heck, I set a World's Record riding 13 different roller coasters at 13 different parks/locations in less than 13 hours (LA, Orange and San Diego Counties)

I live right between Disneyland and Knott's, draw a straight line between them, and then pick the middle of the line, and you can find my house.

As for the Knott's Southern California Resort, let alone do you have the main park, you have the MarketPlace with the famous restaurant, the water park, a true recreation of Independence Hall (So much so, Philadelphia asked for the blueprints that Walter Knott had made when they recently refurbished the original), plus the Church of Reflections, where I got married 7 years ago. So two days without the water park, three days with it.

EricsBiscuit

Yeah, if I had one day, AK and Disney Studios are coupled well together since both are 1/2 day parks at best. EPCOT does need some work, but the variety in types of large scale attractions always keeps me engaged. There's no piddly small rides at EPCOT. Everything feels pretty grand, even if the subject matter isn't your cup of tea. Plus, I can drink around the world.
DAK is not a half day park. It is Disney's best themed park. It's incredibly beautiful and is such a layered experience. The food is amazing, everything about it other than Dinorama is perfect.

Professortango1

DAK is not a half day park. It is Disney's best themed park. It's incredibly beautiful and is such a layered experience. The food is amazing, everything about it other than Dinorama is perfect.
Well, doing everything in 4 hours makes it really seem like a half day park. We were treading water by 2, and at 6, we decided to go rather than continue to wait for Rivers of Light. Has the best themeing, but really light on quality attractions. Kilimanjaro Safaris is great, Everest is decent, and Dinosaur and Tough to be a Bug are fun enough. But Kali is not even Six Flags quality, the shows are pretty mediocre, DinoRama is horrid, and that's about it. I haven't visited since they've added Pandora, so I'm sure Flights of Passage helps the line up, but if you visit when Everest or Dinosaur is down, man that park gets old fast. The 2 treks are fun little 10 minute walks (when exhibits are open), but Conservation Station isn't worth going to unless its your first visit.

AK was probably the park I was most excited to visit as a kid. But with how much they cut away (Kilimanjaro effects, Excavator Coaster, themed boat ride, fire-breathing dragon, Beastly Kingdom, KRR) it just feels like a beautiful park waiting for Disney to install the attractions.

If I were to choose Disney's best themed park, I'd pick Tokyo Disney Seas and I'm sure most would agree. That park looks amazing AND has quality attractions.

EricsBiscuit

Well, doing everything in 4 hours makes it really seem like a half day park. We were treading water by 2, and at 6, we decided to go rather than continue to wait for Rivers of Light. Has the best themeing, but really light on quality attractions. Kilimanjaro Safaris is great, Everest is decent, and Dinosaur and Tough to be a Bug are fun enough. But Kali is not even Six Flags quality, the shows are pretty mediocre, DinoRama is horrid, and that's about it. I haven't visited since they've added Pandora, so I'm sure Flights of Passage helps the line up, but if you visit when Everest or Dinosaur is down, man that park gets old fast. The 2 treks are fun little 10 minute walks (when exhibits are open), but Conservation Station isn't worth going to unless its your first visit.

AK was probably the park I was most excited to visit as a kid. But with how much they cut away (Kilimanjaro effects, Excavator Coaster, themed boat ride, fire-breathing dragon, Beastly Kingdom, KRR) it just feels like a beautiful park waiting for Disney to install the attractions.

If I were to choose Disney's best themed park, I'd pick Tokyo Disney Seas and I'm sure most would agree. That park looks amazing AND has quality attractions.
Did you do the walk throughs? They are incredibly themed and have soooo many animals. Also Flights of Wonder, the Nemo show and the Lion King show are great. EE is better than matterhorn. Plus the live entertainment is a ton of fun.

Phroobar

Did you do the walk throughs? They are incredibly themed and have soooo many animals. Also Flights of Wonder, the Nemo show and the Lion King show are great. EE is better than matterhorn. Plus the live entertainment is a ton of fun.

I've been on the walks. It isn't much different than the ones at most zoos. San Diego's zoo has better trails and doesn't have the terrible weather. Flights of wonder is no different from any other bird show. The Lion King is just the old Disneyland parade in a wearhouse. I'm not much into kids puppet shows that recap a movie I've seen dozens of times. EE might be a fun coaster but at least Matterhorn's Harold actually moves. Sorry but DAK is just a well themed half day zoo with a few rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom