Is Disneyland Different Enough...

No Name

The park arguably has a stronger theme than any other, and more importantly, hasn't been significantly watered down since opening.

And even Pandora furthers the theme relatively well. In a time when they're putting Star Wars and Toy Story lands in places with scant thematic justification, and justifying Marvel through "hey, it actually takes place IN the park, therefore how could it not fit in the park?... of course a theme park that remains a theme park is celebrated.

It's like Native Americans being pushed off of their land. They're taking away Epcot and DHS, so most of those fans are moving to DAK, and some are assimilating into the "civilized" culture of the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Personally, I don't get why many say Animal Kingdom has the best theming of any American Disney park. I can see that with TDS or Disneyland. Kali River Rapids is a crappy themed ride, Dinorama sucks, and the park has a very "zoo" vibe with the lush vegetation. Africa just has a bunch of dilapidated buildings and Pandora has very fake looking plants spread throughout the land.
Agree on Dino Rama -- disagree on pretty much everything else. To give those descriptions means either you haven't been there, or just don't want to like it, because it reeks of bias rather than objectivity.

Animal Kingdom is the closest thing we have to TDS by far...(again, aside from Dino Rama) which is why its my #2 best themed.
Walt-Disney-World-146.jpg

Phroobar

Agree on Dino Rama -- disagree on pretty much everything else. To give those descriptions means either you haven't been there, or just don't want to like it, because it reeks of bias rather than objectivity.

Animal Kingdom is the closest thing we have to TDS by far...(again, aside from Dino Rama) which is why its my #2 best themed.
Walt-Disney-World-146.jpg

I don't know about that. You get rid of the jungle plants and you left with a section of ugly building, zoo cages and lots of empty land. It needs more rides with working effects. The Yeti is embarrassing. The train should be converted into a monorail that takes you to Zootopia.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't know about that. You get rid of the jungle plants and you left with a section of ugly building, zoo cages and lots of empty land. It needs more rides with working effects. The Yeti is embarrassing. The train should be converted into a monorail that takes you to Zootopia.
Theme alone is different than one of the 'best parks'. For rides, I would agree it isn't the best.

But basically your argument is...take out most of the theme, and it's no longer one of the best themed.

Phroobar

Theme alone is different than one of the 'best parks'. For rides, I would agree it isn't the best.

But basically your argument is...take out most of the theme, and it's no longer one of the best themed.
The theming isn't all that great. It's easy to make something look neglected. Just look at the other parks. The tree is falling apart. The river rapids effects are missing. The yeti never moves and Dinosaur is nothing more than Indiana Jones in the dark. I've seen better theming at our local zoos.

spacemt354

Chili's
The theming isn't all that great. It's easy to make something look neglected. Just look at the other parks. The tree is falling apart. The river rapids effects are missing. The yeti never moves and Dinosaur is nothing more than Indiana Jones in the dark. I've seen better theming at our local zoos.
Again, this sounds more like bias than an actual argument. Can't debate with someone who has already made up their mind!

Phroobar

Again, this sounds more like bias than an actual argument. Can't debate with someone who has already made up their mind!
Yes. I've been there and formed an opinion of what I saw. I've followed it for years. Its pretty easy to see it isn't as amazing as you think. I've also been to many other parks in the country. Disney doesn't always win. They are finally waking up and trying hard again. DAK is still just a half day zoo and needs to double in ride capacity and more various theming improvements.

spacemt354

Chili's
Yes. I've been there and formed an opinion of what I saw. I've followed it for years. Its pretty easy to see it isn't as amazing as you think. I've also been to many other parks in the country. Disney doesn't always win. They are finally waking up and trying hard again. DAK is still just a half day zoo and needs to double in ride capacity and more various theming improvements.
You're still conflating 'best theme' with 'best park' but it doesn't matter, You apparently don't like either. No matter, one less person in the park I guess!

Little Green Men

Let's be honest, 5 of the 6 American Disney theme parks are becoming a mish mash of themes. DAK is the only park with a consistent theme of conservation and nature, every ride ties that in in some way. Dinorama may be loosely based but it fits better than SWL fits in DL. Not quality wise clearly, just strictly theme.

Last edited:

Hattieboxghost110

This theme is not appealing to me. It reminds me of certain parts of Mexico that I've been to.

harmabe-market-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-ee0c78e05d686226.jpg

Not a fan of "poverty theming."
6ef22302ecb1f296fc32a2847346d5d5.jpg

Animal Kingdom has the best theming in America & here is the proof...

DSC00033.jpg

Also, the best river rapids in the US.

18596DAK2-6-05_025.jpg

Much better than this horribly themed ride.

5375869844_4b3334d0bb_b.jpg

Disco is back!

disco.jpg

Animal Kingdom is a "Zoological Theme Park." Only problem is that there are much better zoos out there. Such as...

see-us-in-person-banner-zoo.jpg

Other problem is that there are much better theme parks with tons of rides and attractions. (So AK comes up short as a zoo & theme park)

disneyland-00-full.jpg

Clearly the superior version of the same type of ride...
Dinosaur_MK.jpg

Demolish this ride and retheme it to Dinosaur instead, pretty please. Animal Kingdom has the greatest theming in America after all.

Indiana-Jones-Ride-56a952555f9b58b7d0fa4b70.jpg

I can't tell what is real and what is fake. The plant is very convincing!

maxresdefault.jpg

Add to that Florida's brutal heat & humidity, $100 for single day ticket, crushing wait times for Pandora rides, sprawling layout that forces long walks between attractions, Fastpass + hot mess, limited amounts of rides and attractions (typical Orlando parks), a new land that's based on a movie nobody cares about, uninspiring theming (zoo theme), mediocre nighttime show in comparison to the others, all equals to one of Disney World's least attended theme parks, just a hair ahead of DHS. That is sad considering what a disaster Hollywood Studios is at the moment.

Little Green Men

This theme is not appealing to me. It reminds me of certain parts of Mexico that I've been to.

harmabe-market-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-ee0c78e05d686226.jpg

Not a fan of "poverty theming."
6ef22302ecb1f296fc32a2847346d5d5.jpg

Animal Kingdom has the best theming in America & here is the proof...

DSC00033.jpg

Also, the best river rapids in the US.

18596DAK2-6-05_025.jpg

Much better than this horribly themed ride.

5375869844_4b3334d0bb_b.jpg

Disco is back!

disco.jpg

Animal Kingdom is a "Zoological Theme Park." Only problem is that there are much better zoos out there. Such as...

see-us-in-person-banner-zoo.jpg

Other problem is that there are much better theme parks with tons of rides and attractions. (So AK comes up short as a zoo & theme park)

disneyland-00-full.jpg

Clearly the superior version of the same type of ride...
Dinosaur_MK.jpg

Demolish this ride and retheme it to Dinosaur instead, pretty please. Animal Kingdom has the greatest theming in America after all.

Indiana-Jones-Ride-56a952555f9b58b7d0fa4b70.jpg

I can't tell what is real and what is fake. The plant is very convincing!

maxresdefault.jpg

Add to that Florida's brutal heat & humidity, $100 for single day ticket, crushing wait times for Pandora rides, sprawling layout that forces long walks between attractions, Fastpass + hot mess, limited amounts of rides and attractions (typical Orlando parks), a new land that's based on a movie nobody cares about, uninspiring theming (zoo theme), mediocre nighttime show in comparison to the others, all equals to one of Disney World's least attended theme parks, just a hair ahead of DHS. That is sad considering what a disaster Hollywood Studios is at the moment.
Dude, we get it. You hate WDW.

Hattieboxghost110

Instead you decided to go on a rant about why it wasn't appealing...making yourself look silly.

Dude, you're the silly one stating that AK has the best theming in the entire country. There's a reason why this park doesn't resonate with the public the way the castle parks do, as reflected by the attendance numbers. My point was that this is not a top-tier zoo, nor a top-tier theme park. It has some bright spots in theming such as the Tree of Life, the mountain of Expedition Everest, and parts of Pandora, but has lots of weak and mediocre theming. It's just funny that you can't accept valid criticism of the park.

spacemt354

Chili's
Dude, you're the silly one stating that AK has the best theming in the entire country. There's a reason why this park doesn't resonate with the public the way the castle parks do, as reflected by the attendance numbers. My point was that this is not a top-tier zoo, nor a top-tier theme park. It has some bright spots in theming such as the Tree of Life, the mountain of Expedition Everest, and parts of Pandora, but has lots of weak and mediocre theming. It's just funny that you can't accept valid criticism of the park.
It's funny how you can't look back one page on this very thread to where I was voluntarily criticizing Dino Rama.

Your opinion doesn't make it valid criticism. I can poke holes in many of your 'arguments' but your head is too far dug in the sand to listen to any of them.

You, like others, keep mixing rides with aesthetics, when that's not the argument I'm making. To give an analogy, a film at the Oscars can be nominated and win Best Cinematography (ie Best Aesthetics/Theming), but not be nominated for Best Film (ie Best Park). Same is true for me regarding Animal Kingdom.

spacemt354

Chili's
LOL I'm not triggered, but thanks for your concern.
I just realized that a majority of his 37 posts are arguing about how DL is better than WDW. Ah, makes sense now.;)

I recently starting looking over to the DL forums again because I'm thinking of planning a trip back to DL next year. Seeing other Disney parks is exciting to me.

Personally, Disneyland is my favorite, but I like all 6 parks for different reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom