Is Disneyland Different Enough...

Phroobar

USH is a great park. I wish the Backlot would stop shrinking. We keep losing more and more of it every year. They were fantastic during Halloween Horror Nights.

BrianLo

Yes, shot-for-shot I also agree that USH is superior to USF! USF is just a vessel that holds a few attractions in boxes I like and a gateway to the Wizarding World + the far superior IOA.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd rather hang out in Diagon Alley and be able to ride ET than do the tram tour. USF is an easy win for me, even without the amazing Jaws ride.

Universal fans don't know true joy until they've visited USJ. It's far and away the best Universal Studios park. Potter AND Jaws AND soon Nintendo AND Space Fantasy AND a weird Knott's Mystery Lodge show starring Woody Woodpecker

UpAllNight

Original Poster
So, my major issue here is that I won’t be driving in the USA. My brain can’t process it, I was trying to establish why our Uber driver was going where he was and things just weren’t working up there....so I’d be using Uber and other transport to get around. Where should we base for a 14 day trip...4 days in Disney, maybe a day at Knotts, the touristy things around Hollywood and areas like Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Santa Monica. Where’s a good central area to see all of this that’s decent but will cost us least in terms of Uber (I’m well prepared for a hit here...multiple sign up offers may be required!)

UpAllNight

Original Poster
I have no doubt USH is a great park by the way, it’s just my perception is that it’s not different enough in terms of rides to warrant a trip when there’s so much to explore in the wider area.

Darkbeer1

Ok, I would base myself within walking distance of the Disneyland Resort.

Get a Hotel with a kitchenette, so look at the corner of Harbor and Katella and the three new Hotels, The Hyatt House, Springhill Suites and the Residence Inn Maingate.. Be careful, as there are multiple locations of the same type of Hotels nearby. All three come with free breakfast.

Use the LA Route 460 bus from the front of Disneyland to get to Knott's Berry Farm, Soak City, Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, Porto's Bakery, Medieval Times, Pirate's Dinner Theater and the Buena Park Mall (Walmart). Bus runs every 30 minutes, 6 AM to Midnight seven days a week,and is about 20 minutes in travel time.

Use Uber/Lyft to get to Universal Studios Hollywood, Magic Mountain, a day in Hollywood. (Use Hollywood and Highland as tour dropoff point, and the walk to all the nearby attractions.

Use Uber to Long Beach, dropoff is the Aquarium of the Pacific, and then walk or use the free Passport bus system designed for tourist.

Huntington Beach Pier, Uber there and walk around the area.

Want to head to San Diego? Use ART to the train station. (ARTIC) and take the AMTRAK to Old Town San Diego, and then a short bus trip on MTS Route 9 to SeaWorld (or Uber).. Maybe multiple days in San Diego, AMTRAK is good with checked Luggage, I would look at the Old Town Hotels, the Old Town Inn is nice, and next to the Old Town Transit Center, so the AMTRAK, plus the San Diego Trolley and buses, so easy access to the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, the USS Midway and Maritime Museum, Belmont Park and the Pacific Ocean (Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. Or stay in the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach Pier area, Plenty of Short Term rentals are available.

What is your time frame for visiting? aka which month
How about which airport will you be flying out of? Any preferred airline or Hotel Chain? And are we talking 13 nights? I am willing to get more detailed with more info if you want. Of course, ages of the group, likes and dislikes, etc. would help fine tune the possible working plan

GiveMeTheMusic

I have no doubt USH is a great park by the way, it’s just my perception is that it’s not different enough in terms of rides to warrant a trip when there’s so much to explore in the wider area.

I would advise doing some research before going to Knott’s or Magic Mountain as well. Knott’s is well kept and has a couple standout old timey attractions, but Magic Mountain is a pit only worth visiting if you are super into coasters (they have some really good ones).

Phroobar

While in the past, SFMM had some issues, current Management has stressed cleanliness, and basic maintaince.

Read the actual reviews yourself...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...Flags_Magic_Mountain-Santa_Clarita_California

I love SFMM, and have no problem recommending it. It is clean and safe, and not a pit.
I agree with Darkbeer1 about SFMM. It's not a pit anymore. A lot of it has been remodeled over the last few years. Just don't go when the place is packed. If you are there at opening, you can do most of the bigger stuff before the crowds show up around 2pm. The food needs a lot of improvement though. It does have the world's best shooter ride. Justice League Battle for Metropolis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom