New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Darkbeer1

Is there any reason on why Toy Story will still drop off on this side and not the new eastern gateway?

Yes, the large OCTA Stretch Buses used would create an use of space issue, and since the plans have security screening at the parking lot, they can be dropped off in a secure area and don't need to be "processed" on the Manchester property.

Totally off topic, one of those life is good moments.. At Home, walked and stood at the kitchen sink (we just spent a LOT of money totally redoing it), and the standing was partly leaning, but still, beats what my health allowed a few months ago. Watched a couple of squirrels interacting in the back yard, while fixing a drink. (A Crystal Light like powder, since my diet requires me to watch my sugar and carb intake). and about to go to Knott's to look at the Hangtime progress. For someone who basically died in February, life is worth living, even with some new challenges,

TP2000

You want Drama. what if Disney "flips the bird" to the city and fences off Harbor for guest access.

Exactly. I remember saying about the same thing a year ago when the Eastern Gateway topic got started. There is absolutely no legal requirement that says Disneyland has to have a pedestrian entrance off of Harbor Blvd.

It may be bad business in the short-term, but Disneyland could swing those giant metal gates on the sidewalk closed tomorrow and just put up a sign that says "Please Enter Via Downtown Disney" and force everyone to walk the mile detour around to the other side of the property. They've closed these gates a handful of times in the past, due to suspicious packages found or unusual police activity needed.

Gates closed along Harbor Blvd., seen in the middle right of this photo, with hordes of tourists waiting to be let in.
m0brfp-m0brf001.disneyscare.0303.kl.jpg

Take that, Captain Kidd's Buffet, and see how far your 1.5 Star Yelp rating gets you without clueless tourists stumbling in off the sidewalk. :eek:

TP2000

What would I like...

Disney to address the Bridge issue, and spend some money on aesthetics so it looks good to everyone from all angles.

That the owners of the properties on Harbor (some, not all) stop acting like spoiled brats, and accept things they can't change, but instead focus on the things they can change in a positive way.

That the city and other agencies will focus on the residents needs and improve traffic flow on Harbor Blvd, removing crosswalks and traffic lights, and build new public transport facilities on Manchester. Not attached to this project, but also address the corner of Harbor and Katella to reduce pedestrian traffic.

And I would LOVE that Tait/Moreno and the city council learn to be pro-business in general, and not try and kill the golden goose.

Those are the basics.

Wow, we apparently share a brain on this topic. I couldn't agree more! :D

The clunky and cheap aesthetics of that bridge design are the most glaring error on Disney's part, in my opinion. They should have gone big with this one to impress the neighbors and City Hall, and instead they went low and only impressed the boys in the Finance Department for coming in under budget. It shows.

That ugly cement bridge looks like something a cheap-o Community College would build to get students over from a satellite parking lot. And then to add "Whimsy!" :rolleyes: they slapped a bunch of bland corporate Mickey Mouse heads on it, only proving the WDI Intern who worked on it has no clue how offensively corporate that looks to savvy 21st century audiences.

Disney has no one to blame but themselves for going so cheap and ugly on that skybridge. It's likely the straw that broke the camel's back on this political mess, and guaranteed the whole project would meet stiff opposition.
maxresdefault.jpg

Travel Junkie

It would not be wise on Disney's part to antagonize the city and their neighbors on Harbor. Let the city win this one and simply redesign the bridge and move on.

Can Disney shut off Harbor? Sure, but they are reliant on those hotels on Harbor with the lack of on site rooms. Until that changes, Disney doesn't have the leverage. They would be alienating Anaheim AND their own guests.

The best thing they can do is to continue backing candidates that are pro- Disney and hope they win the next time around.

Ismael Flores

"To dream <da-da-da-dot-dot-dot-da> the imposs-i-ble dream <da-da-da-dot-dot-dot-da>...."

Mostly agree. But I smite thee for the OCTA/Metro service. Now you are asking for CMs who use public transit to add that much longer walk with no compensation.

Hell, no.

Just one more way for CMs to get screwed. I worked there decades ago when the 20 min. paid walk time was adequate compensation, along with the other perks. Now it's a joke. It's not the CMs' fault that Disney and Anaheim let the growth get out of control. Plus you are re-routing all the other passengers on the Harbor OCTA line to detour around Manchester.

F-ing no!

I really never understood the argument about CM’s having to be compensated for their commuting time or their time from parking to punching in.
What makes this so different to any other job that thousands of other people do and have to commute, park and then many of times have to prepare for work with a uniform. Most People don’t get compensated when they commute 40-50 miles then have to park in a pay to park parking in Los Angeles. Sometime that adds hours to the daily work schedule and many of those that work for the city or other companies that have to wear uniforms also have to make time to change into work clothes.
Seems like CM’s and some people feel like just because They work for Disney they need to be treated differently than the rest of the work force.
If I work for a company and don’t see that the benefit/wages don’t fit my liking then I move on to one that does.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

A little off topic but I really hope that once they get this done that they go back and fix the mess they did in the west side.
That security area at Mickey and friends has got to be the worst quick design someone came up with.

There were plenty of different ways that they could have accomplished the same thing without tearing out so many tram load areas and planters.

The northern east tram loading area next to the welcome boards could have stayed and those ugly barriers just placed in a semi circle poisition leading from the Far East escalator.
Also the elimination of a few dozen parking spots in the bottom of the structure was another stupid idea.

Why not just leave the existing tram route that was already under the structure and come out and turn right and make the path go west outside the structure hugging the landscapes area that was there. It would have only blocked off one staircase that would have still had access to the inside of the structure in the first floor. From there do their loop as they built it.

I know they wanted to do this quick but seemed like little thought went Into it before destroying the look of the area and making it look worse then the existing eastern shuttle/entrance area.

Once that is all fixed they also need to sit down and one up with protocols in how to run those trams more efficiently. Whomever comes up with the rotations on where trams pick up and drop off also needs to be given a course on how to move thousands of people more efficiently. Starting with not allowing people with strollers to get in line on the disability ramp just because they don’t want to fold their strollers.
Having to wait 35+ minutes with a disabled person just because the line was full of parents with strollers shouldn’t happen

DLR92

I really never understood the argument about CM’s having to be compensated for their commuting time or their time from parking to punching in.
What makes this so different to any other job that thousands of other people do and have to commute, park and then many of times have to prepare for work with a uniform. Most People don’t get compensated when they commute 40-50 miles then have to park in a pay to park parking in Los Angeles. Sometime that adds hours to the daily work schedule and many of those that work for the city or other companies that have to wear uniforms also have to make time to change into work clothes.
Seems like CM’s and some people feel like just because They work for Disney they need to be treated differently than the rest of the work force.
If I work for a company and don’t see that the benefit/wages don’t fit my liking then I move in to one that does.

I count my blessing I don't have to deal with parking off site from my employer despite having lots of drama inside the work, boy I wish I could change jobs because of unnecessary drama from my daytime managers and supervisors. :rolleyes:

Ismael Flores

I count my blessing I don't have to deal with parking off site from my employer despite having lots of drama inside the work, boy I wish I could change jobs because of unnecessary drama from my daytime managers and supervisors. :rolleyes:

Many of us have those issues, off site parking, hours of commute and plenty of drama. Have left jobs when I see that the cost of my time and additional expenses surpass income. If possible have renegotiated contracts and if they happen to work great if not then I don’t feel it’s the burden of the employer to accommodate me for my decisions of the added commute and time it takes me to start my work day

D

Deleted member 107043

What makes this so different to any other job that thousands of other people do and have to commute, park and then many of times have to prepare for work with a uniform.

Businesses attract workers with perks. If I can choose between working in South Coast Plaza at Nordstrom where I don't have to wear a costume and schlep myself from a remote parking lot to my workplace on foot, or at Disneyland where I have to dress as a pirate and deal with Katelyn from Tustin and her 3 screaming kids for the same money which one do you think I'm going to choose?

Ismael Flores

Businesses attract workers with perks. If I can choose between working in South Coast Plaza at Nordstrom where I don't have to wear a costume and schlep myself from a remote parking lot to my workplace on foot, or at Disneyland where I have to dress as a pirate and deal with Katelyn from Tustin and her 3 screaming kids for the same money which one do you think I'm going to choose?
Of course But it’s still an employees decision to choose the one that fits their needs. Business do attract workers with perks but only when needed and when the workforce is scared for what specialized position you need to fill. Theme park so have always filled positions with people that want that extra income, need flexible hours to accommodate schooling or now it seems older people that want to get back Into the workforce.
That is why they hire seasonal workforce or applicant that don’t intend to make it a career unless you are in management. Those that do go into management do get those extra perks which many feel strongly against and even have updates about them on other sites. When you have a workforce in thousands it is impossible to expect a corporation to offer perks to everyone. At that point it’s not a perk anymore and then someone else expects more.

It’s the person seeking employment to decide what’s beneficial for them if not move on unless an agreement can be negotiated that benefits them

Last edited:

Curious Constance

But it's not as though the job is without its perks. Getting yourself, family, and friends into the park for free at one of the most sought after tourist destinations must be a pretty big plus for most workers. Disney likely has determined that the cost of replacing low skill workers due to turnover from aggregating parking conditions is less than the cost to build more convenient parking. That's really all it comes down to. No one is sitting around getting enjoyment out of the parking difficulties they face. (Besides me :joyfull:)

D

Deleted member 107043

But it's not as though the job is without its perks. Getting yourself, family, and friends into the park for free at one of the most sought after tourist destinations must be a pretty big plus for most workers.

Well sure, but how about all that PLUS free shuttle rides to/from your car? Sweetening the pot helps.

Curious Constance

Well sure, but how about all that PLUS free shuttle rides to/from your car? Sweetening the pot helps.

But then they'd have to hire more people, which would also need to park somewhere, and also buy more shuttles.

But I think they do have shuttles for Cast Members, don't they? I've seen shuttles that say Cast Members on the side.

Curious Constance

Except that Disneyland is in a position where it isn't competitive in terms of compensation.

That article isn't credible. Disney pays entry level workers legal wages, comparable to other types of similarly skilled jobs. They could do the same article on any business with low skilled workers in an area with a high cost of living. Just because Disney employs thousands more people than most businesses, they likely have more people struggling like this due to sheer numbers, but nothing more.

I have a good job, as does my husband, we make way more than minimum wage, and WE couldn't afford decent housing in southern California. People that are earning minimum wage are surprised they can't afford to live in So California? I considered living there for a bit, but decided against it for a better quality of life for my family in Oregon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

That article isn't credible. Disney pay entry level workers legal wages, comparable to other types of similarly skilled jobs. They could do the same article on any business with low skilled workers in an area with a high cost of living. Just because Disney employs thousands more people than most businesses, they likely have more people struggling like this due to sheer numbers, but nothing more.

But that's the point, isn't it? If you aren't paying livable wages and you need to fill literally thousands of positions you might consider offering as many scalable perks as possible when competing for workers that fit the criteria to be a Disney cast member. A free shuttle from/to the employee parking lot is a convenience that any worker would appreciate, especially in car-centric Orange County.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

But that's the point, isn't it? If you aren't paying livable wages and you need to fill literally thousands of positions you might consider offering as many scalable perks as possible when competing for workers that fit the criteria to be a Disney cast member. A free shuttle to/from the employee parking lot is a convenience that any worker would appreciate, especially in car-centric Orange County.

Why do you keep talking about shuttles, when they already offer them? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom