The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Here, we were lucky enough to have all the programs in place on the elementary, middle, and high school levels, so, thankfully, that wasn't so much of the worrying. He, thankfully, also doesn't have as severe issues as many, although, many times, that seemed to make it even more difficult in regards to trying to dial in his particular situation. So many ARD meetings, so many decisions to make while waiting for clear answers, and then, so many times, never getting any clear answers.
We will never know all the particulars of their situations, as there are just too many levels and combinations.
The best we can do is to continue to educate ourselves, advocate for them, and fight for what we think is in their best interest.
Indeed, GO TEAM...!!! :)
That's exactly it...I think the reason it has taken so long to get what he needs and to get a diagnosis is because he doesn't have it as bad as some. It's not OBVIOUS unless you know him. You can look at him and think he's just like every other kid. Once you get to know him, you notice those little things that hint at some issues. But it takes time to see it. Even DH denied it for a long time and I had to keep telling him, look, you are at work all day and I'M the one handling 15 meltdowns a day...you get home and write off the other meltdowns as him being tired from playing all day, but I'm telling you, this is HIM....ALL. DAY. It wasn't until he was into school and the teachers were concerned that he even really noticed that it wasn't just "when he was tired". So I'm sure that played into it...and even the teachers, without a diagnosis, they don't really make adaptations. So while the kid with a diagnosis got to stay inside at recess because outside it was too chaotic and busy, DS was not allowed to stay in, because HE didn't have that diagnosis and he "needed to be outside, making connections with other kids". Normally, I am not one for labels....he is my son, and it doesn't matter what diagnosis he has. But unfortunately, some people need that label to be compassionate and flexible. So I'm glad we finally have the magic label, as much as I think it's a shame we need it.

MySmallWorldof4

That's exactly it...I think the reason it has taken so long to get what he needs and to get a diagnosis is because he doesn't have it as bad as some. It's not OBVIOUS unless you know him. You can look at him and think he's just like every other kid. Once you get to know him, you notice those little things that hint at some issues. But it takes time to see it. Even DH denied it for a long time and I had to keep telling him, look, you are at work all day and I'M the one handling 15 meltdowns a day...you get home and write off the other meltdowns as him being tired from playing all day, but I'm telling you, this is HIM....ALL. DAY. It wasn't until he was into school and the teachers were concerned that he even really noticed that it wasn't just "when he was tired". So I'm sure that played into it...and even the teachers, without a diagnosis, they don't really make adaptations. So while the kid with a diagnosis got to stay inside at recess because outside it was too chaotic and busy, DS was not allowed to stay in, because HE didn't have that diagnosis and he "needed to be outside, making connections with other kids". Normally, I am not one for labels....he is my son, and it doesn't matter what diagnosis he has. But unfortunately, some people need that label to be compassionate and flexible. So I'm glad we finally have the magic label, as much as I think it's a shame we need it.
How has this week been since he has been doing work at home? Does he seem happier and less stressed?

Songbird76

I think that's true of really any condition. You don't want to have it, but it's so much worse not knowing what the problem is.

Fyi, I think your DS will be just fine in his new school. My brother switched schools several times because different schools had the programs he needed at the time (high school is now school #5) and he would get anxious beforehand about switching, but he would settle in after about a week. I have a feeling the same thing will happen with your DS, especially since he'll be away from the bullying.

I went out to lunch today, and I saw a young man about my age working there. It didn't take me long to go "Autism!" He had a bit of a speech impediment. He kept repeating to himself "Work now, take a break later" and didn't converse much with customers, except for me (I must be wearing a giant sign that says "Sibling of a special needs child!") But he was working, just doing some simple stuff, wiping down tables, taking plates away from people and bringing them inside (it was a nice day and people, including me, were outside) holding the door open for people...and then his manager came by, gave him a high five, and told him "Good job, my friend." And there was a large group nearby, and they treated him so kindly. Sometimes I tend to worry about my brother, whether he'll be able to hold down a job and contribute to society, or whether he'll always be 100% dependent on my parents, or me if something happens to them. But looking at that young man, I realized that there were probably people wondering the same thing about him, and yet there he was, clearly the product of great programs that got it there. I have no doubt that my brother, and your DS, will be successful in the correct programs. Especially for your DS now that he has a correct diagnosis.
Thank you....that helps a lot. I know he's capable of so much, but I do worry that people will underestimate him because of the label. His Psychologist showed him a video about Autism yesterday, and it says in that video that the wiring in the brain makes them see things differently, but just because a playstation game won't work on an xbox doesn't mean it's broken, and it takes someone with the empathy to understand how an Autistic brain works differently to help. I'm sure he'll be fine at this school, IF he gets in. They are trained teachers and professionals. I just REALLY hope they will accept him.

Songbird76

My brother still can't go to school tomorrow. He was running a 102 degree fever tonight. I feel bad for him. He's doing allied sports this year (sports with a mixture of special ed and neurotypical kids) and they're doing soccer. He missed a game on Monday and he'll miss practice tomorrow. He's so disappointed; he really wanted to go to school.

I'm still recovering. Sometimes I think I'm better, and then I'm like, "wait, nope, still sick". I was playing piano and violin for a while and had to stop because my back started hurting so badly. I went over to singing, leaning back while keeping my back as straight as possible. Not ideal, but I'm doing what I can here. I still have another week of antibiotics. Although the lack of chai tea and Coke Zero is the thing driving me most crazy. I've switched to green tea and crystal light, but it's just not the same.
Aw, that's so rough when they are looking forward to something and then don't get to do it. You haven't caught what he has, though, right? Hope you'll be back to your chai tea and coke zero soon!

Songbird76

Good morning and I'm going to enjoy a nap as soon as the boys leave and my dh has orders not to wake me when he gets home!!!!!! James loves high school and the fun activities that he's signed up for me not so much:banghead: Last night the track coach again asked him to sign up for track in the spring and said with his times he may even make varsity this year:joyfull: I have a sneaking suspicion sleep is optional for the next 4 years:banghead::banghead::banghead: Happy note I came home to perfectly cleaned bathrooms and my kitchen was almost perfect:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: I'll find a bit of time to make something special for my older ds today:joyfull::joyfull:
Only for the next 4 years?
So nice that you came home to cleanliness...that would be so nice!

Songbird76

I put brand new rope perches in the parakeets' cage, and they won't go near them. Spin & Marty are big chickens. They don't like anything new or different. All of our finches are always very curious about anything new and different. The two parakeets are the total opposite.
Maybe once they get used to them being there, they'll warm up to the idea. Some things just take time. If you came home and there was suddenly a new couch and you didn't know where it came from, it would be a bit weird and take some getting used to.

Songbird76

Hello to all...It's been a very crazy week, here. I spent two days packing, hubby wanted me to take half of what was packed......We took the car in...to have it serviced...that takes for ever. Tomorrow, we get our flu shots. Joy, I always feel bad after those shots. But, at our age we don't want to catch anything going on the boat. It looks like we will be going, I was hoping it was going to be called off. Looks like it's going to be a wet cruise. Imagine all those people on the boat, doing inside things. Boring...and sis and I don't get along well. I've got to sneak a couple drinks to make this cruise tolerable. I wish I could go back to the good days of having a relaxing drink. If it's raining the whole time, I plan to sleep in and order room service. Hey, that's not so bad!;););) I plan to go back and do ketchup. Have a fun day, we are expecting snow on Tuesday. Here comes winter...:cold::cold::cold::devilish::devilish::devilish:
Perhaps you need a coping strategy....if you are on the boat and your sister starts in on you, pretend you need to go back to the room because you forgot something...it gives you an excuse to step away and then you can take your time finding your way back. Or "I'll be right back...I need to use the bathroom. You go on ahead. I'll catch up to you." Find reasons to make a quick exit to take a breather.

Songbird76

faec102532849f41f4f8d9dc5e19990f.jpg
It was Colonel Mustard, in the library, with the candlestick.

Songbird76

Hahaaa...!
Yep, we're the same.
You may remember the "The Great Fathers Day Brunch Mimosa Drenching" of DWifey.
Youngest DD headed to the house to get a change of clothes, we assured the waitress that we realize stuff happens and not to worry, and we left her a larger tip than we would have otherwise...!!! :hilarious: :happy: :)

And then, I went on that CRAZY-AWESOME, INCREDIBLY AMAZING surprise gyroplane flight...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull:
Sorry, couldn't resist... :oops: ;)
Ha!! I do remember you telling us about that....particularly the gyroplane flight, but I remember the drenching incident as well. Like I said to the kids at the restaurant, I could complain and ask to talk to the manager, but it wouldn't change what happened, and a lot of times, someone who has already made a mistake or two will get so self-conscious about it that it would just make them make MORE mistakes. Everyone has to start at the beginning and some people take longer to learn than others. We weren't in a hurry to be somewhere else, we don't have food allergies where it was a safety issue...we could afford to wait to get things fixed and everything eventually turned out ok. No biggie, and it's good entertainment.

Songbird76

How has this week been since he has been doing work at home? Does he seem happier and less stressed?
Well, the school hasn't actually given us any work for him yet.:cautious: But, he IS less stressed, though he is still having nightmares and such. I think now it's more nerves about what the new school will be like than anything. Natural, I think. But it's going to be an interesting couple of weeks. We have fall break starting October 16th. Ideally, we would come home from DLP and he'd be able to start right away at the new school, but I don't know if that is realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom