A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Bairstow

This is why I haven't gotten all that excited about Star Wars Land. As a kid, I grew up with the original trilogy. Star Wars was a childhood obsession. As an adult, I have always looked back on it fondly though I find Disney testing the limits of my Star Wars nostalgia. If they created a land where I could visit the iconic locations of the movies I grew up with, I would feel compelled to visit it. But "generic sci fi world with Star Wars flourishes" doesn't appeal to me all that much. Given my current lack of enthusiasm for Disney World, it is possible I will never get around to checking out Star Wars land - something that would have been inconceivable just a few years ago.

I prefer the approach they're taking.
With Harry Potter it made sense to build what they did because every book has the kid going back to his school.
With Star Wars, with few exceptions the movies were always exploring new locations.

After the horrible prequel movies I was sick to death of Tatooine.

UpAllNight

You can guarantee this new land will make appearances in future Star Wars Movies....so they're actually going to achieve the "visit the set" aspect, whilst allowing themselves complete control and flexibility, and appealing not only to existing fans, but young fans too. Haters gonna hate though...

Disneyhead'71

You can guarantee this new land will make appearances in future Star Wars Movies....so they're actually going to achieve the "visit the set" aspect, whilst allowing themselves complete control and flexibility, and appealing not only to existing fans, but young fans too. Haters gonna hate though...

They'll probably film part of IX in the land.

That's like moving the country of Arendalle into Norway in Frozen supplemental material. Works but wonky.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The sad thing about parodying Disney is that reality will always catch up with it. :(

TWDC is a barbaric horde of greedos intent to replace Disney parks with Disney parks (no typo) and thereby destroy what made them great. What is the current score?

We have Depp infestation in what was the world's greatest Pirates (and not DL!)
Upcharge events are creeping up from every direction faster than zombies at UNI's Halloween Horror fest.
DLP is blissfully devoid, mostly, of being unceremoniously dumped into giftshops after rides. Surely this will be rectified.
The movie park attraction celebrating Hollywood and classic movies is being replaced by the Disney property attraction (where have we heard this before)
Star Wars sprawl all over two parks (there may be no Iron Man in Verne's Nautilus yet, but there is a Darth Vader in his Hyperion!)
Speaking of Star crawl: Starbuckses popping up all over the place, replacing unique venues.

To be fair with respect to Starbucks and unique venues, there are upwards of 8 places on the planet that aren't within 2.5 kilometers of a Starbucks.

bclane

I prefer the approach they're taking.
With Harry Potter it made sense to build what they did because every book has the kid going back to his school.
With Star Wars, with few exceptions the movies were always exploring new locations.

After the horrible prequel movies I was sick to death of Tatooine.
I prefer this approach too...for Disney's first Star Wars Land at least. I mean, I would love to visit some of the planets we see in the movies and I think will get to eventually. But one of the things I always love about every new movie that comes out is that we get to discover new worlds. And to think that we will get the most fleshed out Star Wars world ever right here in the swamp...well that is pretty freaking cool to me.

The Empress Lilly

The locales in Star Wars tend to be one note landscapes and not very fleshed out in terms of built space. It’s a lot of flat walls. Launch Bay The Land would not be very exciting
Then don't built a land based on that material. *lightbulb*

SW lends itself well for rides. And it's visuals, music and sound effects are some of the best and most famous of cinema. They should've built two killer ridds and left Streets of America standing and immerse the guest on all sides with the mother of all projection shows, on every square inch of the facades with fireworks above. Then you have the best of SW and of your theme park.

Better yet, don't built it if it doesn't further your theme park. The park is the goal, not the vending of franchises.

Dark, dingy alleys do not for a pleasant surrounding make. For the same reason I dislike Diagon Alley. Cramped, claustrophobic, strangely devoid of a sense of actual life, and suffocated by detail (which you need a wand for, no doubt to be duplicated with lightsabers in Galaxy)

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Then don't built a land based on that material. *lightbulb*

SW lends itself well for rides. And it's visuals, music and sound effects are some of the best and most famous of cinema. They should've built two killer ridds and left Streets of America standing and immerse the guest on all sides with the mother of all projection shows, on every square inch of the facades with fireworks above. Then you have the best of SW and of your theme park.

Dark, dingy alleys do not for a pleasant surrounding make. For the same reason I dislike Diagon Alley. Cramped, claustrophobic, strangely devoid of a sense of actual life, and suffocated by detail (which you need a wand for, no doubt to be duplicated with lightsabers in Galaxy)
But its all about IMMERSION. If you're not walking down a dingy alley way, bumping into Tusken Raiders who spout gibberish at you...then why even bother??

Ag11gani

So when Frozen goes in Norway everyone is up in arms but they would be perfectly fine with Poppins, Alice and Pan, two of which only take place in the UK for a small part of the movie.

The Empress Lilly

To be fair with respect to Starbucks and unique venues, there are upwards of 8 places on the planet that aren't within 2.5 kilometers of a Starbucks.
I drink green tea crème frappuccino at Starbucks for the authentic experience (Costa Rica coffee beans from small producers), and because it reflects the uniqueness of my persona. Unique, authentic, singular, that's me, I scoff mainstream. And I'm happy I can find a Starbucks everywhere to portray the uniqueness of my tastes and values.

The Empress Lilly

But its all about IMMERSION. If you're not walking down a dingy alley way, bumping into Tusken Raiders who spout gibberish at you...then why even bother??
I love the idea of being immersed in Star Wars. But it is true, I can not name three pleasant SW places I would like to stroll around in.

Then again, if SW is about an experience, about an unfolding of events rather than a static place, this aspect of creating unfolding experiences seems to be precisely what they are striving to provide in the hotel and Galaxy.

doctornick

So when Frozen goes in Norway everyone is up in arms but they would be perfectly fine with Poppins, Alice and Pan, two of which only take place in the UK for a small part of the movie.

This. I don't get the complaints about Mary Poppins and the UK -- it's not a particularly good fit for an IP there and Brave (if that is indeed the choice) actually seems more reasonable to me.

If you are going to talk about an IP being "passed over" for the UK pavilion, it should start and end with Sword in the Stone, which is the perfect option for that pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom