A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Disneyhead'71

What are you referencing in regard to Emeryville CA?
"Brave" is a story from PIXAR, which is in Emeryville, CA.

I guess Disney couldn't actually find a competent British author to represent the UK.

If Disney was serious about the EPCOT Center mission statement, the UK would be getting an Oliver Twist attraction. And they would gladly pay the licencing fee.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I like the approach of creating a whole new planet, I just don't agree with setting it in the sequel era. That just seems like it's pure ego on Iger's part. I think from a business perspective it makes more sense to set it in the Empire era because that would sell more tickets and especially way more merchandise. As cool as Rey, Finn, and Poe are, I think people would generally get more excited about the idea of rides with Luke, Leia, and Han running around in them just because they're the iconic characters who've been around for forty years.

Is there even that much of a difference, aesthetically, between the new movie and the original ones? It was certainly a whole lot closer than the horrible prequels- close enough that most visitors probably won't be able to easily distinguish whether the land is in a particular time period, let alone care.

As far as characters go, I'd prefer none at all. It makes the fictional universe seem so much smaller when you keep bumping into the same handful of heroes. The almost total lack of recognizable charterers was my favorite aspect of the original Star Tours.

Bairstow

I guess Disney couldn't actually find a competent British author to represent the UK.

If Disney was serious about the EPCOT Center mission statement, the UK would be getting an Oliver Twist attraction. And they would gladly pay the licencing fee.

It's Biggles Learns to Fly or nothing.

The Empress Lilly

I think pretty much anywhere on Naboo would be pretty spectacular. Beautiful countryside, incredible royal city (shopping in Theed is rumored to be a very classy experience), epic scuba diving.... An underwater adventure ride set here would be pretty killer. Alderaan was wildly beautiful (before it went boom). I'd have liked to have gone skiing and hiking in the mountains there. Maybe a toboggan ride or a dodge the planetary debris simulator. Both Endor and Kashyyyk have them crazy awesome forests and I hear Wookiees throw even better parties than the Ewoks. A giant rave in a giant tree maybe? How about a swamp buggy ride set on Dagobah? The possibilities are endless. :)
Naboo would be great. :) Its beauty is one of the saving graces of Ep I.

I also love Endor. Never shared the dislike of the Ewoks. Those treehuts would make for a great theme park locale.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I love the idea of being immersed in Star Wars. But it is true, I can not name three pleasant SW places I would like to stroll around in.

Then again, if SW is about an experience, about an unfolding of events rather than a static place, this aspect of creating unfolding experiences seems to be precisely what they are striving to provide in the hotel and Galaxy.

I can think of one, the bridge of a star destroyer commencing orbital bombardment of whereever the park destroying ideas come from. The nuke it from orbit its the only way solution...
Naboo would be great. :) It's beauty one of the saving graces of Ep I.

I also love Endor. Now that would make for a great theme park locale.

The Ewoks are cute yet dangerous recall that they were going to cook and eat Luke and the gang...

Perfect Disney characters as one of Disneys signature touches is the ability to make evil cute...

freebird72

Lots of Anaheim news ... and no one either knows what is going on or sees fit to write about it.

Any chance whatever is happening in Anaheim lends itself toward why runDisney races are in permahold at Disneyland for 2018?

BTW, I'm a longtime lurker, and I finally registered today, just so I could ask you that question. I enjoy reading your posts and the insider info they provide. Many thanks!

*Q*

Is there even that much of a difference, aesthetically, between the new movie and the original ones? It was certainly a whole lot closer than the horrible prequels- close enough that most visitors probably won't be able to easily distinguish whether the land is in a particular time period, let alone care.

As far as characters go, I'd prefer none at all. It makes the fictional universe seem so much smaller when you keep bumping into the same handful of heroes. The almost total lack of recognizable charterers was my favorite aspect of the original Star Tours.
They are more similar aesthetically to each other than with the prequels, but I think it's about a lot more than just that. The Rebellion and the Empire are a base part of pop culture vernacular, as opposed to the Resistance and the First Order. No, I don't think your average visitor is necessarily going to pay huge attention to the time period the place is set in, but I also think there would be a tendency for more visitors to purchase, say, a Darth Vader mask instead of a Kylo Ren mask (to oversimplify things)... I think that adds up to a lot of potential profit lost.

AEfx

You can guarantee this new land will make appearances in future Star Wars Movies....so they're actually going to achieve the "visit the set" aspect, whilst allowing themselves complete control and flexibility, and appealing not only to existing fans, but young fans too. Haters gonna hate though...

Actually, I highly doubt it. Will it appear in the extended media (comics, novels, etc.)? Yes, but not the films. At most they will name-check, probably in one of the "story" films.

That's actually kind of the point of picking what they did. At first I wasn't happy it wasn't going to be a re-creation of something iconic, but it makes so much sense. By creating a new location they aren't beholden to anything in terms of violating film continuity, now or in the future. Yet this leaves them open to have pretty much anyone at any time show up and not have the land tied to specific events or timelines.

I'm not worried at all about it not being in films - it's going to say Star Wars the moment you walk in. Hell, just the music and sounds will do half that job for them. Star Wars has a very specific look that is instantly recognizable, yet can be applied to virtually any landscape.

That said, I do hope that as Star Wars attractions develop, we do get to take more trips to various locations through future attractions/areas.

the.dreamfinder

Agreed. It incidentally makes the theme park adaptation more creative than the film. Think about how much pressure there is when writing, directing a star wars episode, versus this land, which is able to deviate. It basically inverts all the other IP adaptation limitations.
A movie like SW costs half a billion a pop (production - government subsidies + marketing). Each land purportedly will be in the ball park of a billion dollars.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

A Christmas Carol overlay would be amazing!

AEfx

So you are saying Disney couldn't kill the Star Wars IP by pumping out too much Star Wars product?

It doesn't matter what the IP is. If it popular and then you start shoving it down people's throat, folks will get bored and walk away. Even if everything they put out is high quality. People will start to feel fatigue with the IP.

I'm not talking about Star Wars here. It's just how the media landscape works. And Star Wars is not immune to it's effects.

I so want to agree with you in terms of logic - because your statements are absolutely sound and accurate.

Except...Star Wars.

Leaving aside my personal feelings about it (and even though I'm a huge fan, I couldn't care less how successful or not it is now or in the future - my Star Wars will always be my Star Wars, this is all icing to me) - Star Wars is the exception to just about every rule, across industries.

Star Wars tried to die. After 1986/87, the toys were clearanced out, the last gasp of the franchise was put to rest with the brief Saturday morning run of the Droids/Ewoks cartoons. Lucasfilm attempted to move on.

Even without new media (and countless other film series trying to be "Star Wars" to take over interest), public desire for Star Wars didn't go away - it only died because they stopped making stuff.

In 1991, the Zahn novels were released and were bestsellers. It's been 26 years since then - and every year has had bestselling Star Wars books.

In 1993, the Rebel Assault video game was released on PC, and was a revolutionary best selling game that spawned an entire series of best sellers. It's been 24 years since then, and although reviews have not always been as stellar every time, Star Wars games have remained best sellers on virtually every game platform they have appeared on. This looks to continue with the Battlefront game coming in November, which is already trending to be the best selling game of the year.

In 1995, Hasbro (who had absorbed Kenner, the original manufacturer) released their first line of "modern" Star Wars action figures. They were ugly as hell (the initial Princess Leia is not-so-affectionately still refereed to as "Monkey Leia"), terribly proportioned, and were released at a time when action figures were still aimed at kids and in their death throes due to losing their audience to computer/video games. For the last 22 years Hasbro has offered a full line of Star Wars toys which even in years without film support still are often the best selling toys of the year - not to mention accidentally spawned the entire modern "teen/adult collector" market because it was so wildly successful - and single-handedly saved the original modern-day toy kid market it originally created.

Then in 1997 the Special Edition films, controversial as they were, each were the #1 films at the box office when re-released, which was absolutely unheard of...

..anyway, you know the rest since then.

The point is (yes, I'm getting there!) - Star Wars is as evergreen as any property that has ever existed. It is the exception to rules in every industry it touches - theatrically (see above), on home video (as much as people complain about how often the films have been re-released, they break records every...single...time - no "catalog" films even compare, they sell like brand new cinema blockbusters appearing for the first time), the books and video games - which survive independently from theatrical releases unheard of for "licensed" products...it just never ends.

Disney has been really smart with Star Wars. One film a year is not at all unreasonable in today's climate. Books, toys, and games have been coming out reliably and been respective best sellers in their areas for more than two decades straight now. Because of the tie-in to the films, it's becoming more obvious to non-fans, so it seems like overload - but this stuff has always been there, and the actual volume of product hasn't really increased that much - just even more people buying it now, on top of the already evergreen numbers Star Wars has always gotten that alone would make it the biggest IP of all time.

Any other IP, I would be agreeing with you with every intellectual bone in my body. Everything burns out, right? But not Star Wars - it's only been back theatrically for two films, and families are already making it a tradition to go see the new Star Wars film during the holidays together. It widely appeals across pretty much all demographics - not many films have five year-olds to sixty-five year olds, and all age groups in between, in the theaters together these days.

Does everyone love Star Wars? No. But I would say that when you account for everyone, from the merely mildly interested all the way to the die-hard, lifetime fans, you've captured more of the audience out there consuming media, one way or another, than any other franchise out there has - or even has potential - to do. And by several margins in many areas. Even if that "mass" effect dies down, Star Wars is still the smartest bet out there, because even at it's "low" it's still the only true gold-star brand that exists, now well into it's fifth decade.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Britain is neither a country nor a nation.
But England is my city;):rolleyes:
hqdefault.jpg

Mike S

Is it too much to hope for that bar fights break out in the cantina??? complete with arms being cut off (non-guests of course).
Easy way to start a Star Wars bar fight.
Say Greedo shot first.
In 1993, the Rebel Assault video game was released on PC, and was a revolutionary best selling game that spawned an entire series of best sellers. It's been 24 years since then, and although reviews have not always been as stellar every time, Star Wars games have remained best sellers on virtually every game platform they have appeared on. This looks to continue with the Battlefront game coming in November, which is already trending to be the best selling game of the year.
I'd like to take this moment to simply say how much I love how Bethesda has caught Electronic Arts with their pants down. I am, of course, talking about the Nintendo Switch and the decision to not bring Star Wars to it which leaves the market for First Person Shooters on the system wide open for Bethesda to have a monopoly with ports of both last year's DOOM (can't wait for that) and the brand new Wolfenstein. If I was Disney I would step in and force them to make it for the Switch as there's obvious dollar signs being missed by not bringing a big Star Wars game to the console that has been selling like crazy and sold out almost everywhere since it came out in March.

I mean, it's Star Wars. It's going to sell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom