Hurricane Irma

21stamps

Actually, I should add this-

To all Parents of School Aged Children and PTA members-

One creative thing that our school has done is to create "out of uniform days" for extra donations above what the individual classrooms are doing. (Right now this is for Harvey, but I'm going to make sure we do another week for Irma too)

All week we have different themes- today is "school appropriate out of uniform choice"
Tomorrow- "spirit wear"
Wednesday- high school spirit wear.
Thursday- college team spirit wear.
Friday- NFL team spirit wear.
$5 per day.

Please suggest something similar if your schools aren't doing this. It's a fun way to raise money :). We are expecting 100% participation.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Actually, I should add this-

To all Parents of School Aged Children and PTA members-

One creative thing that our school has done is to create "out of uniform days" for extra donations above what the individual classrooms are doing. (Right now this is for Harvey, but I'm going to make sure we do another week for Irma too)

All week we have different themes- today is "school appropriate out of uniform choice"
Tomorrow- "spirit wear"
Wednesday- high school spirit wear.
Thursday- college team spirit wear.
Friday- NFL team spirit wear.
$5 per day.

Please suggest something similar if your schools aren't doing this. It's a fun way to raise money :). We are expecting 100% participation.

So the kids pay to be able to participate each day? That's a great idea...and I bet a lot of money can be raised.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Lastest update as of 10:52am from Disney:

Walt Disney World Parks and Disney Springs remain closed today. We are beginning an initial assessment of our property. While we experienced high winds and rain, we maintained power throughout the storm.

As the hurricane has passed, we are keeping safety top of mind and working closely with public officials to determine when conditions are clear to make further operational decisions. We will communicate updates as we have more information to share.

21stamps

So the kids pay to be able to participate each day? That's a great idea...and I bet a lot of money can be raised.

Yep. The kids from Kindergarten on have all been great about Harvey, they all are involved in it. Each classroom also has an individual goal.. parents are encouraged to have children do chores to raise money.. and we also each have a list of items needed to put in a Tupperware bin. Me and T went shopping together for the items, he's really into it. I'm hearing the same from other parents as well.
The out of uniform passes are a school goal.. and the kids are definitely excited about that.lol

Dubman

I suspect Disney springs may open tonight. If so I'm going there for dinner.

The problem is that curfew is until 6pm. So no one is going anywhere anytime soon

Is it fair to say that the only places in Disney Springs that are truly Disney are World of Disney, and customer service/guest assistance areas? I can see Disney putting up cast members to keep them ready, but since most of the place is third party, you would think it would be difficult to get it open at 6:00... Hoping for the best for everyone down there! Would love to know how the Disney Springs area made out... Did they remove the big balloon?

Ralphlaw

A question to any horticultural experts out there-if a tree is uprooted, is there any chance of propping it back up and having it root again, or is it a goner as soon as the roots are snapped and the tree falls? Some of the trees we are seeing in the pics posted here look like a few roots are still in the ground; it would be a shame if all of the uprooted trees will be gone.

As I understand it, younger trees might make it, but older ones would have a harder time. Root damage is a funny thing. As a band aid, it might not hurt to prop them up until they can be replaced. Given that it's Florida, there might be a chance that they'll recover.

I
You have no idea how tempted I was.
I wish I was in my 70s. I would've wandered in there acting lost and confused.
I'll die with that being my single biggest regret :p

Boy would I have been tempted. I would have put on my dumb and clueless face, and just wandered in. "What? Huh?" Of course, like Michael Keaton says in "The Paper", just grab a clipboard and you can get in anywhere. If you had a few tools handy, a lanyard, a tape measure, and anything official-looking, you could probably wander anywhere.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yep. The kids from Kindergarten on have all been great about Harvey, they all are involved in it. Each classroom also has an individual goal.. parents are encouraged to have children do chores to raise money.. and we also each have a list of items needed to put in a Tupperware bin. Me and T went shopping together for the items, he's really into it. I'm hearing the same from other parents as well.
The out of uniform passes are a school goal.. and the kids are definitely excited about that.lol

I remember all my friends going to Catholic school hated their uniforms. Lots of money raising potential there just to be out of them for a week.

RoyWalley

IMG_1723.PNG
Cleanup is beginning at POFQ
My brother is staying there and sent me some pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubman

Lastest update as of 10:52am from Disney:

Walt Disney World Parks and Disney Springs remain closed today. We are beginning an initial assessment of our property. While we experienced high winds and rain, we maintained power throughout the storm.

As the hurricane has passed, we are keeping safety top of mind and working closely with public officials to determine when conditions are clear to make further operational decisions. We will communicate updates as we have more information to share.

Guess that answers the question about Disney Springs reopening later today... Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few restaurants there to open at some point this evening.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Guess that answers the question about Disney Springs reopening later today... Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few restaurants there to open at some point this evening.
They did open Disney Springs early following Matthew, but the wider damage to the Orlando area this time is probably going to stop Springs opening today. I think officials would just rather have everyone off the roads as long as possible.

Jordanaous

Anything is possible, could still open later tonight - although given Mayor Jacobs could potentially extend the curfew, given the scale of the damage elsewhere in OC, it probably won't.

just grab a clipboard and you can get in anywhere. If you had a few tools handy, a lanyard, a tape measure, and anything official-looking, you could probably wander anywhere.

There is a lot to be said about this. I have a nice red plastic disney name tag from dining with an imagineer (before they stoped giving them out :() and I wear it whenever I goto the parks.

Add some confident/polite voice and a two finger point and I can get stalled crowds to move 9 times out of 10. Even though I am dressed full on tourist with shorts/hat/stollers/etc I still get CMs who see the badge and are not sure exactly how to act.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom