Hurricane Irma

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'll be surprised if Animal Kingdom opens tomorrow... depends on how fast they can clean everything up. They are just now getting out to assess damage

Chef Mickey

I'd really like to say I'm sorry to anyone I offended with my comment It was not meant to be selfish but I can see how it was taken that way I am praying for everyone in Florida and all affected areas
Man, don't even worry about it. I hate to say it, but this is when you get some of the most self-righteous people coming out of the woodwork. We are all human and it's only natural to be concerned about what affects YOU.

Are we sad for the people impacted? Of course, but I'm not more upset than I am about things that happen in my life. Just because it's national news and many people are affected by it in an obvious way, doesn't mean you can't be upset about other things. People are starving every single day, literally living in filth, human trafficking, etc. You don't hear about it on the news, but it's reality for some every day. Many have nothing to even rebuild.

My point is, all of this is sad, but there are many bad things in this world that are practically forgotten. This was a natural disaster and as long as you're alive, property can be replaced, even at financial hardship. There are bad things in this world that cannot be fixed.

psherman42

We made it through the night in orlando. My apt complex has lost quite a bit of roof shingles and some trees and lights are down, but we miraculously maintained power the entire time. Will be checking out WDW soon, perhaps even tomorrow to look at damage and crowds.
May I ask what complex you're at?

rocketraccoon

Tree clearing already starting at resorts

Screenshot_20170911-102743.png

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Man, don't even worry about it. I hate to say it, but this is when you get some of the most self-righteous people coming out of the woodwork. We are all human and it's only natural to be concerned about what affects YOU.

Are we sad for the people impacted? Of course, but I'm not more upset than I am about things that happen in my life. Just because it's national news and many people are affected by it in an obvious way, doesn't mean you can't be upset about other things. People are starving every single day, literally living in filth, human trafficking, etc. You don't hear about it on the news, but it's reality for some every day. Many have nothing to even rebuild.

My point is, all of this is sad, but there are many bad things in this world that are practically forgotten. This was a natural disaster and as long as you're alive, property can be replaced, even at financial hardship. There are bad things in this world that cannot be fixed.
Sadly no one (and by no one, i don't mean this board, just the media/US Gov) seems to be concerned with the Virgin Islands. ALL of those islands are practically leveled, resorts gone, homes gone. Tourism is their #1 industry, and it will take years to get things back to a normal state.

Chef Mickey

Sadly no one (and by no one, i don't mean this board, just the media/US Gov) seems to be concerned with the Virgin Islands. ALL of those islands are practically leveled, resorts gone, homes gone. Tourism is their #1 industry, and it will take years to get things back to a normal state.

Exactly. These are places with no ability to get financing, insurance, federal aid, etc. Their lives were probably difficult before this, now will just be worse. No one thinks about anyone overeseas...out of sight, out of mind.

rocketraccoon

We'll get coverage of all the destruction by tonight as the storm keeps losing steam. For now there's still concern with Georgia and the surrounding areas. Same thing happened with Katrina until it calmed down.

disney4life2008

Exactly. These are places with no ability to get financing, insurance, federal aid, etc. Their lives were probably difficult before this, now will just be worse. No one thinks about anyone overeseas...out of sight, out of mind.

I wouldn't say that but the islands are governed by other countries.

Jordanaous

Not just the Virgin Islands either, Sint Maarten has had many of its buildings destroyed. The Caribbean as a whole has been devastated. Although I can understand why people are concentrating on Central Florida - after all, this is a Disney forum where people are talking about Disney. Doesn't mean people can't also think about elsewhere... Just this is the focus for this forum 365 days a year.

Raineman

A question to any horticultural experts out there-if a tree is uprooted, is there any chance of propping it back up and having it root again, or is it a goner as soon as the roots are snapped and the tree falls? Some of the trees we are seeing in the pics posted here look like a few roots are still in the ground; it would be a shame if all of the uprooted trees will be gone.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
We'll get coverage of all the destruction by tonight as the storm keeps losing steam. For now there's still concern with Georgia and the surrounding areas. Same thing happened with Katrina until it calmed down.
Im in Atlanta, and I guess I am not concerned. I'm at work, like most here. We will have downed trees and power loss but in the big scheme of things, its not really a huge deal to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom