A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

RSoxNo1

Hmmmmm..... I have to disagree with that. Luigi's purposefully uses the tech in a way that could not be done with a track. Aquatopia isn't really an effective demonstration of a trackless system.

Whether the versions are fun or well dressed is another matter, but Luigi's is the best tech demo of LPS vehicles. More so than even Mystic Manor or Pooh (even though both are significantly, significantly, significanty, significantly better rides).

I think what you mean is Luigi's is disappointing because you've seen LPS used in major E-tickets and the first use of it in the US was for a B-ticket. That has nothing to do though with them Ineffectively using the system.
My first thought after getting off Luigi's was that it was much worse than Aquatopia.

How is Aquatopia not a good use of the LPS system? You don't know which way the vehicles are going, there are "obstacles" in the path. The vehicles feel like they're moving around randomly, similar to the seeming randomness in the Hephalump scene of Hunny Hunt. Add in the fact that it's continuously loading as a bonus.

Luigi's takes what the system is capable of and choreographs it making an unpredictable system more predictable. To me, that defeats the purpose of using the system. So you may qualify it as a good tech demo, but I see it is totally defeating the purpose of not seeing the track. Similarly, while I haven't been on it, it seems like for different reasons, Ratatouille is also a weaker use of the system. You're moving from scene to scene in a more logical manner, defeating the purpose of the unpredictable ride system.

BrianLo

My first thought after getting off Luigi's was that it was much worse than Aquatopia.

How is Aquatopia not a good use of the LPS system? You don't know which way the vehicles are going, there are "obstacles" in the path. The vehicles feel like they're moving around randomly, similar to the seeming randomness in the Hephalump scene of Hunny Hunt. Add in the fact that it's continuously loading as a bonus.

Luigi's takes what the system is capable of and choreographs it making an unpredictable system more predictable. To me, that defeats the purpose of using the system. So you may qualify it as a good tech demo, but I see it is totally defeating the purpose of not seeing the track. Similarly, while I haven't been on it, it seems like for different reasons, Ratatouille is also a weaker use of the system. You're moving from scene to scene in a more logical manner, defeating the purpose of the unpredictable ride system.

Aquatopia could be fairly easily replicated with a track and some dye for the water. The LPS system isn't a tech demo of random, it is a tech demo of vehicle independence and interaction not feasible with any track. Whether that is seemingly random track independent movements or multiple vehicles choreographed.

Aquatopia is a glorified busbar with continuous load, the ability to spin and few different directional routes. There is minimal vehicle cross crossing and interaction as seen in Pooh, there is minimal jumping the queue and swapping places with vehicles ahead or behind you. Luigi's cannot be remotely replicated with a track.

Again - not a judgement of product quality, I'm just saying Luigi's really puts the system to strain. It's just dressed like a glorified tech demo in a parking lot. I think that's your issue with it.

RSoxNo1

Aquatopia could be fairly easily replicated with a track and some dye for the water. The LPS system isn't a tech demo of random, it is a tech demo of vehicle independence and interaction not feasible with any track. Whether that is seemingly random track independent movements or multiple vehicles choreographed.

Aquatopia is a glorified busbar with continuous load, the ability to spin and few different directional routes. There is minimal vehicle cross crossing and interaction as seen in Pooh, there is minimal jumping the queue and swapping places with vehicles ahead or behind you. Luigi's cannot be remotely replicated with a track.

Again - not a judgement of product quality, I'm just saying Luigi's really puts the system to strain. It's just dressed like a glorified tech demo in a parking lot. I think that's your issue with it.
It could be. At the end of the day. I will happily ride Aquatopia every day I'm at DisneySea and don't need to go on Luigi's ever again.

nevol

A guest survey went out and was mentioned in a Disneyland thread earlier today, asking about Tomorrowland. Maybe this is the news / rumor we are waiting for?

bcoachable

I get ya on the whole predictable/unpredictable thing...
however, when we rode, every member of every car was clapping to the music and laughing along with all the other members of every car while being whipped around.
You visit a park, walk around with people who are like minded to a degree in that you all love being at Disney, but you never have a chance to play all together like this ride allows for.
Kind of a group dance with 30 of disney friends that you don't really know.
We had fun. We would only do it once a trip, but would ride again next visit. I think it serves it's purpose in the land well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thus having sold ones soul, you are not in legal possession of said soul, therefore one is said to be soulless.

Is this an intangible pre requisite for BoD membership?

Well it does explain neatly the soulless nature of many of Disney's recent efforts and their creative bankruptcy including their recent patent on Orwell's Versificator...

Creativity after all comes from one's soul.

Figments Friend

A guest survey went out and was mentioned in a Disneyland thread earlier today, asking about Tomorrowland. Maybe this is the news / rumor we are waiting for?

And that would be me....

Received a time sensitive online survey from Parks & Resorts within hours of departing from my week long stay at the Disneyland Resort yesterday.
I've taken dozens of these surveys both in the Parks and afterwards at home over the years, but what made this one stand out were two things :
Mickey wanting my opinion on certain lands, specifically Tomorrowland, Toontown, and Frontierland as well as the time sensitive nature of completing the survey.

Read into it what you wish....but I found it interesting.

Here is a screen shot i snapped while taking the survey, as originally posted in a related thread we have going on in the DLR section of this Forum -

-

Sam Magic

There have been thousand dollar tours and $600/night rooms for a really long time. The cabanas were nothing new.

If the middle class are priced out now as @dennis-in-ct claims, then does that mean the 200+ {edit: 80+} million guests in the US parks this year are all upper class?
I'm talking about the in-park cabana's.

The middle-class isn't priced out, but the middle-class isn't the focus.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disney has always had a multi-prong approach, just look at the classes of resorts: value, moderate, and deluxe. You can even pitch a tent.

There have been for a long long time the ability to fork over a thousand bucks for a VIP Tours which includes what is basically an unlimited FastPass, or, finding deep discounts off-season.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

ParentsOf4

Disney has always had a multi-prong approach, just look at the classes of resorts: value, moderate, and deluxe. You can even pitch a tent.

There have been for a long long time the ability to fork over a thousand bucks for a VIP Tours which includes what is basically an unlimited FastPass, or, finding deep discounts off-season.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Since 2001, Disney has been slowly pricing out 95% of the U.S. population:

WDW Ticket Prices.jpg

ToTBellHop

Since 2001, Disney has been slowly pricing out 95% of the U.S. population:

View attachment 225332
I'm not sure how a figure showing ticket prices increasing faster than income shows that. We are talking about $120/ day tickets, not $2000/ month rent.

Median household income in America is about $43000/year. 95% of people aren't unable to pay $120 to get into MK. Now if you want to analyze prescription drug prices, it's a different discussion.

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm not sure how a figure showing ticket prices increasing faster than income shows that. We are talking about $120/ day tickets, not $2000/ month rent.

In 2008, 80% of US households spent less than $900 per year on vacations (excluding transportation). (Cite).

Combine that with the price increases since 2008 and stagnating incomes, and I think it's safe to say a WDW vacation is not in the budget for the vast majority of US households. Maybe not 95%, but that 80% number seems like a solid floor.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The median income for a household (not individuals) in the U.S. is $53,000. [link]

The mean for those in the 40-60 percentile is $53,400.
The mean for those in the 20-40 percentile is $31,400.

While the elite offerings and multiple visits in one year may only be able to be afforded by a minority at the top of the ladder, the idea that the majority can no longer afford a Disney vacation is odd to say the least. Do people think that the middle class, while not making gains, are currently all below the poverty line?

Just want to point out that mean of the bottom 20 percentile is only $12,000. I say that just because some lunatic once claimed that anyone... anyone... can afford a Disney vacation if they just save enough. As if making less than $10,000 a year enabled one to save for a Disney trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom