A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
My criticism of Disney executive leadership regarding WDW falls into three categories:
  • Investment
  • Quality
  • Price
Just because they've fixed one doesn't mean that I'm no longer critical of the other two. ;)

I can respect that ... and agree with that too!

I wish you'd go to the international parks. I'd love your thoughts, even as a first-timer!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Perhaps because It's A Small World has already been shamelessly copied at other parks in China?

A lot of Disney has been copied, doesn't matter. Small World is truly a message that resonated so strongly with Walt. It isn't a castle park without it. My guess (since people nervously avoid answering when I ask) is that Disney felt this would be too universal and global village-like for a Communist regime. I think that is nuts on Disney's part, but I watched how this project was being built with people walking on egg shells and ... who knows?

My guess is that it's not going to be a dedicated column at Huffington Post. :cool: Going to miss you here.

Why would I ever want to be there? It isn't 2009.

shortstop

Tim, I never said I hate bloggers. Some ... even Disney bloggers, like Tom Bricker, I consider friends. I don't like Lifestylers and whores who are mouthpieces for corporations (like your pal Hill, who would probably have to kill someone for you to see him as he is, as well as Mongello and Brigante and Alvey and etc).

Nothing has changed. I am just not enjoying this format anymore at all.

People think I owe them something. I have stalkers who literally know more about what I say than I do! And because I get attention, people pay more attention to me. Someone will make a comment about Obama in a thread and a discussion ensues and it sits there. I make one comment about the Nazi in Chief (let's count the seconds before this gets wiped) and it goes away immediately. I am tired of it all. I am tired of people, even people I like, showing no self control. I have watched friends tire and leave. People with great information and perspective. I still enjoy it here ... I don't want to hate the place (as happened with my old haunt, LP.com). I'd much rather simply drop in with a comment here or there.

Rest assured, while I will have a strong presence in the community, I am not going to be a Lifestyler ... my price is much higher than what these people are being bought for.
I was banking on you leveraging your blog into getting free access to MAGICal dessert parties from which you could give us detailed reviews of the pixie-dust infused cupcake frosting. Oh well...

WDWFigment

Talk to @WDWFigment. I think Disney Blogger to the Stars, Tom Bricker, would live there today if he could (making no judgment, just a statement!)

I wouldn't live there (I fear Japanese culture could be isolating in the long term), but I would--and plan on--spend significant time there to get a slice of the local experience. Then again, I'd do the same in Paris, and even Hong Kong (but only during the winter months).

Probably an unpopular opinion, but if I had to choose one place NOT to live near a Disney park, it'd be Orlando. I'd even rather live in Shanghai.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Should I not want to read a thread even if it's in the wrong place? You have opinions worth reading. I'm not trying to troll your threads, just pointing out some logical inconsistencies. I mean no ill will.

Carry on.

Except that you stating the above does nothing but make me the subject of the day. No, these have never been perfect fits. But MAGICal Steve doesn't want me starting 53 threads at once (and neither do I) and, frankly, by this point the vast majority of people here should know what they are going to get. They can then make a decision whether to read, follow and comment on their own.

I can't stick a square peg into a round hole because some individuals would prefer that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Haven't been back since the 1st. I will probably be back in September - hoping it still will be showing, October I plan to do HK as I prefer my Halloween activities to be of great quality, immersive and most importantly fly FREE! I'll also do Halloween at SHDR also - if it goes in the park like planned.

Yeah, I can appreciate that. The Disney park I most want to visit right now is HKDL because it's been so long since I was back ... and their Halloween event is the best.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was banking on you leveraging your blog into getting free access to MAGICal dessert parties from which you could give us detailed reviews of the pixie-dust infused cupcake frosting. Oh well...

Oh, those cupcakes are so tempting ... if I want to weigh 400 pounds.

I can already see the Tweets coming with MNSSHP (yes, really! THREE of then before Labor Day!) and Food and Wine starting in two weeks (yes, it IS still summer!) ... Disney gives that stuff away the first party night and then a preview for bloggers at F&W.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Welcome back, @WDW1974 ! Since we are on the topic of Parks and Resorts, how about some DCL info?

We just got done with the most stunning seven night Alaskan on Wonder. It was beyond amazing and top notch as always.
IMG_9061.JPG

Last edited:

WDWFigment

Their product is not aimed at American, or in your case -- Canadian, fanbois with money who can travel and will. We are bonuses to their business.

I get the sentiment here, but I'm not sure I'd go quite this far. Both Japan as a country and the Tokyo parks are aiming to increase their foreign demographics to the greatest extent possible, particularly mid- to long-term. The parks have their hands tied to a degree (I'm sure you know why), and I wouldn't say North Americans are the primary aim anyway, but there's definitely a push to attract foreign tourists.

WDWFigment

We used the 144 hour Visa Free Travel Waiver and it was very easy. But we started in Europe and went to Shanghai on the way to Japan! I would only get a visa if one truly wanted to spend more than a week in China, otherwise, this is the way to go.

We did this and it was incredibly easy...from Los Angeles. I've heard of several others (both that I know and via FlyerTalk) having issues from airports that don't fly regular routes to Shanghai (including Orlando).

If I were flying out of a smaller airport, I'd probably just play it safe and buy the visa.

WDWFigment

He gets a lot of credit from me because he does loads of non-Disney travel, especially the National Parks. I do see his endgame with his Disney site, even if he doesn't admit it. He wants the definitive online resource guide for visiting all the Disney parks and destinations worldwide. I think he's biting off too much by shoving out a huge amount of content and falling into blogger traps (no, everyone doesn't need a review of the latest DVD release or the latest limited time offering etc.) But I admire his chutzpah. And he is an amazing talent with a camera. Oh wait, I was talking about weirdo Bricker, not weirdo Brian. Sorry!

Two quasi-compliments in one thread?! Damn, you're growing soft! ;)

I have no problem admitting that. It's a safe bet that if I take anything seriously, I want to be the best at it. I'm incredibly competitive, even if it's with myself or when it comes to things others deem pointless.

Kman101

Tim, I never said I hate bloggers. Some ... even Disney bloggers, like Tom Bricker, I consider friends. I don't like Lifestylers and whores who are mouthpieces for corporations (like your pal Hill, who would probably have to kill someone for you to see him as he is, as well as Mongello and Brigante and Alvey and etc).

Nothing has changed. I am just not enjoying this format anymore at all.

People think I owe them something. I have stalkers who literally know more about what I say than I do! And because I get attention, people pay more attention to me. Someone will make a comment about Obama in a thread and a discussion ensues and it sits there. I make one comment about the Nazi in Chief (let's count the seconds before this gets wiped) and it goes away immediately. I am tired of it all. I am tired of people, even people I like, showing no self control. I have watched friends tire and leave. People with great information and perspective. I still enjoy it here ... I don't want to hate the place (as happened with my old haunt, LP.com). I'd much rather simply drop in with a comment here or there.

Rest assured, while I will have a strong presence in the community, I am not going to be a Lifestyler ... my price is much higher than what these people are being bought for.

So no cupcake or parking garage opening reviews ;)

BrianLo

We did this and it was incredibly easy...from Los Angeles. I've heard of several others (both that I know and via FlyerTalk) having issues from airports that don't fly regular routes to Shanghai (including Orlando).

If I were flying out of a smaller airport, I'd probably just play it safe and buy the visa.

Part of me is simply sad when people recommend the layover visa as it means they really don't have the time/interest (or perhaps the itinerary) to explore beyond SHDL.

The country is too large and amazing to be boiled down to a visa at a Disney park.

I try not to make my actual destination a Disney park - usually that's the case because so many of these parks are at hub airports. It's easy to just wind up there. Shanghai's opening and Orlando are probably two of the bigger exceptions where they were/are the final destination.

Since I know you love to constantly tell your readers too - officially I've scored 400-500 Canadian flights to Paris, China and Hongkong recently... my flight to Orlando in the Spring was legitimately my most expensive flight!

I'm clearly addicted though, my trip to Indonesia next March (via a $465 flight to Beijing) has suddenly tacked on SHDL and HKDL on either side. I swear I actively would have to sleep in KUL to avoid winding up in Shanghai for a day...

Animaniac93-98

Since I know you love to constantly tell your readers too - officially I've scored 400-500 Canadian flights to Paris, China and Hongkong recently... my flight to Orlando in the Spring was legitimately my most expensive flight!

That's one of the reasons I went to DLP earlier this year. Wasn't much more than flying to Orlando, and of course you get a meal on that transatlantic flight too.

BrianLo

That's one of the reasons I went to DLP earlier this year. Wasn't much more than flying to Orlando, and of course you get a meal on that transatlantic flight too.

Despite the exchange rate sucking - international flights have never been cheaper. A bit of a head scratcher. I used to save my reward points for international flights... now I use them for domestic flights to Ontario - which I've also paid more for than flying to Europe or Asia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom