A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Marriedatdisney

Sorry, for the absence. Didn't mean to leave you hanging where you might have to discuss pizza or fight the UNI vs. DIS battle yet again or even read a book. Life called. I answered.

But I also realized something I've been tossing around. And that is I need a forum that I control where I can put content out at my pace and not have to come back to a disaster or worry that I might hurt a white supremacist's feelings etc. So, this will be my final Spirited thread here. I have a plan for a new project for where I can take my thoughts and get them out on a regular (by my life) time table. No, I am not leaving this site. But this 15th round will be the last. No Sweet 16 as cute as I look in my dress and heels. Much like people like Len Testa and Tom Bricker that have their own money-making enterprises, but still take part in this great and vibrant community, I'll do likewise. I just won't break news here for people to steal. I'll do it elsewhere and actually go after people if they decide they are breaking something two years after I did.

I didn't come to this decision easily. If I did, I would have made this move years ago. But I think you'll enjoy what will come this fall.

And with that, I will attempt to answer some posts and then move on to other subjects here. Won't leave y'all hanging.

Just want to say thanks for the 88% of you who have contributed positively, whether you agreed with me or not. The rest of you? I am sure you'll enjoy the threads started by my 'fans' here ... they always have so much of value to add!

Kinda bummed to hear you're peeling off. Long time lurker and have a few individuals tagged so I can catch new posts. This site used to have a lot more inside info but it seems to have dropped off over the years. Of course if Disney isn't doing much, not a lot to leak....

Totally understand the need for more creative control. One suggestion....setup an email capture for those of us that will follow you to your new thing.

Best of luck.

ParentsOf4

OK, with that emoji, I'm detecting a little sarcasm. ... Shame as I'd like to argue with you for going soft on the Bobs just because they are FINALLY spending money on WDW (not wisely, maybe, but that's another subject ...)
My criticism of Disney executive leadership regarding WDW falls into three categories:
  • Investment
  • Quality
  • Price
Just because they've fixed one doesn't mean that I'm no longer critical of the other two. ;)

Omnispace

.... I will say this forever, as our current Prez threatens war with two nations at once, but Small World is part of the DNA of a MK park. It is a universal message as well as a people-eater and cheap for an E-Ticket and I can't believe they left it out and are not planning on adding it, unless something changed drastically.....

Perhaps because It's A Small World has already been shamelessly copied at other parks in China?

No apologies needed. My decision wasn't about what has gone on in this thread at all (this is mild, compared to some). ... It's about me being able to be heard (and maybe even compensated) uncensored without dealing with trolls and still be part of a community here that I value. It has been brewing for a few years as I spent more time away ... and as I watched friends leave. I am not leaving MAGIC, but the news breaking and analysis will largely happen elsewhere.

My guess is that it's not going to be a dedicated column at Huffington Post. :cool: Going to miss you here.

kevlightyear

This isn't a trip report. This is a Spirit thread, detailing the various aspects and recent ongoings concerning Disney and eventually... how it relates to WDW. Apparently whatever is happening with Shanghai is going to affect us.
His posts thus far in this thread would say otherwise. If there is any news or rumors about WDW, they certainly aren't the topic. And if the topic is "There is no topic," then you can't get mad at the topic wandering. "You can't talk about that because I haven't talked about that yet" is not how discussion forums work. Spirit knows that.

Then, why are you even reading? Why are you here?
At the risk of having a lovely flame war, I'll just tell you to go have a MAGICal night!
Should I not want to read a thread even if it's in the wrong place? You have opinions worth reading. I'm not trying to troll your threads, just pointing out some logical inconsistencies. I mean no ill will.

Carry on.

Nmoody1

That's interesting and might make sense ... because why else would you have "Under the Boardwalk" playing in the park?

Been back recently? Did you catch the new Summer Blast show?

Haven't been back since the 1st. I will probably be back in September - hoping it still will be showing, October I plan to do HK as I prefer my Halloween activities to be of great quality, immersive and most importantly fly FREE! I'll also do Halloween at SHDR also - if it goes in the park like planned.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Throughout its history, Fastpass has been more of an illusion than an actual benefit. The average guest feels like they're getting something for free. The average guest feels like they're spending much less time in line. The average guest appreciates Disney allowing them to skip lines at no extra cost. And so if they take away free Fastpass, a lot of return guests will be upset and new guests won't feel that appreciation.

Basically, I think the illusion is better for the bottom line than the extra revenue would be.

I would agree largely.

I've always felt FP was more of a shell game than anything ... it is a great system for rubes, and they make up the majority of Disney Guests so ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking as a developmental psychologist with familiarity in operant conditioning, I do not believe in positively reinforcing behaviors that should be negatively punished (e.g., when Disney closes an attraction, I do not buy a t-shirt, so a negative behavior results in a negative consequence, which should subsequently decrease the likelihood of the behavior in the future). However, I am a fan of EPCOT Center, have had the opportunity to visit the parks since 1984, and do not recall ever seeing any Universe of Energy merchandise other than the occasional pin. I remembered being wowed by the diorama of the dinosaurs, especially the feeling of the cool early morning to the warmth of the day as the sun began to rise.

I wonder if anyone at TWDC really cares that EPCOT Center inspired me to pursue a career in social policy and that I regularly look for positions in energy and nutritional policy because of the Universe of Energy and Land Pavilion, respectively.

No, I don't recall ever seeing UoE merchandise, even in the 80s. There likely was something, though.

And, no, just like EPCOT inspired my love of travel and thirst for knowledge, Disney doesn't care about inspiring anyone. They care about how much alcohol they'll move in September with Food and Wine taking over a month it once didn't exist in. They care about how many SW crap toys will have to be sold at only half price at the outlets because they can only move so many units. They care about how the tenants at their newly expanded lifestyle (and Lifestyler) center are actually harming their own dining locations etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So true! I was at the Magic Kingdom opening weekend and then multiple times a year ever since (even before moving to Orlando). I have memories of the level of quality and service at WDW that just didn't seem realistic and I've wondered if I had just snorted too much pixie dust over the years. Then I went to Japan and realized that I wasn't just dreaming it up. It really is possible to have it like I remember!

No, WDW in the 70s and 80s and, even some of the 90s, was like that. The product they have out out in the 21st century at vastly higher price points can't compete. They know that. Georgie K will admit this to you if you corner him and guarantee you aren't recording him.

On a side note, I'm hoping they include free fast passes for platinum plus APs whenever they switch to the new system you've hinted at. If they charge me for it it may cut into my Boma budget and that is just not acceptable!

There are multiple directions they are considering going on this. But all of them result in FP being something that is no longer free.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I do not think they will be successful with trying to price up Pop, Art and Carribean beach. While they may be able to sell Rivera at deluxe prices, that will be a brand new build with full service dining onsite and indoor hallways not to mention deluxe size rooms. The older resorts will still have the same room size and (lack of) amenities with the exception of the skyway. While I believe room rates will go up, I can see no sane person choosing to stay at Pop or AoA for the same price as a moderate resort nor can I see people paying as much to stay at CBR as staying at a crescent lake resort,

We shall see. Time will judge.

But everytime I think they can't get away with something ... it becomes an ONLY DISNEY! situation.

How anyone actually pays to enter DHS or EPCOT today just blows my mind.

As an aside, I see there's a thread talking about a possible All Stars full serve restaurant. I know nothing about this, but can bet you it will happen. They need to have that 'amenity' available across property. How will they be able to charge $200 a night for a tiny motel room otherwise?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I disagree... there is always a way even it means not getting to do something. We were in line for Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin just after lunch. Even though we went to the restroom before getting in line my 5 year old started to mention he needed to go again not long after we got inside. We tried to make it, but... I picked him up and started excusing my way past people and walked straight though the load area straight to the restroom again. My wife and daughter didn't wait too much longer and said the ride was kind of neat. My boy and I just didn't get to go. Sometimes you miss out.

You'll have to trust me on this since I was there and witnessed the actions, but there was NO way to take the child to a restroom. Wall to wall people with metal barriers set up. No way to simply leave the line.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh heck. Spirit, I will greatly miss your "Spirited" forums as they are the only ones I read with any regularity (and once in a great while throw in a comment) despite their convoluted derailments. They, through the various posters, have been informative, supply insights of various kinds and are sometimes quite amusing..Oh well, the older I get, it seems the more is lost; including much of what once made the Disney parks very special.:(.

Sorry, Grammie. And I am appreciative of the fact you appreciate my posts. I will still be dropping in. But the days of long threads and breaking news here is coming to an end. ... As to Disney losing more and more that made it special ... I started feeling that way almost 20 years ago. It just gets worse. Unless your Disney isn't Walt's ... it's Marvel, Star Wars and Frozen and Toy Story etc ..

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ever been to a public pool?

Yes. Although not many and not frequently. But, again, I travel extensively. I have only seen teen-aged CPers walking through pools taking nets of human feces out at WDW. Maybe I just don't get around. But it is disgusting. And just screams "class" and "pricey resort." And Disney CMs need to be empowered to keep diaper dandies out of pools (and jacuzzis!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 , thank you for your informative threads. Looking forward to your future communications, and I'm glad that you've found a more convenient way to communicate.

Back in 2013, I joined WDWMagic, because I was impressed with you (and some others on here), that shared helpful information--and expressed their thoughts freely--with minimal restrictions. I also enjoy the rest of the forums, but it was your thread that brought me here.

Thanks much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom