News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Next Big Thing

Wait, so is Chapek flat-out lying about Mission Breakout being the most highly-rated attraction at the Disneyland resort? And maybe about Tron being the most popular ride in Shanghai? Is Bob Chapek the Kim Jung Un of Disney??

Or are his comments based on some different metric?
That list was for Orlando and I think it was unofficial anyway (while done by a reputable team in @lentesta's unofficial guide crew, however).

Kman101

Mission Breakout seems like a fun ride, not knocking it, but it's popular because it's new. Let's see how wait times are when the "cool new ride with the hot IP" has been there a few years. If it keeps an increased wait time compared to Tower than I guess that's a win for them.

bclane

I'm going to see TRON for the first time tomorrow. :oops::D
Tron was absolutely mind blowing amazing...in the 80s! I kid you not, I had dreams about that movie for years and loved every second of it as a child. Just have some crackers and wine to go along with the cheesefest that it is now and you'll have fun. Tron Legacy is much cooler nowadays and what the ride will be based on so be sure to check that movie out after watching the original Tron.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Condolences. That's two hours of your life you aren't getting back.

I know there are a lot of mixed feeling about Legacy, but I personally enjoyed it. Definitely wasn't a blockbuster hit, but I would welcome another movie to the franchise.

With all these additions to Tomorrowland, is there any plans to have the area music changed. I feel like a while ago, we were talking about the area music going away in favor for a newer contemporary sound track. Is there are validity to this?

EricsBiscuit

Mission Breakout seems like a fun ride, not knocking it, but it's popular because it's new. Let's see how wait times are when the "cool new ride with the hot IP" has been there a few years. If it keeps an increased wait time compared to Tower than I guess that's a win for them.
It was a good ride. the whole ride was basically drops. It was hard to catch the banter that makes the GotG cool. ToT is a much better attraction thematically but GotG was much more thrilling.

lentesta

Premium Member
That list was for Orlando and I think it was unofficial anyway (while done by a reputable team in @lentesta's unofficial guide crew, however).

It's not clear what time metric or demographic Chapek was using. Mission Breakout rates very, very well, but it hasn't yet unseated Radiator Springs Racers in our surveys.

I would be very surprised if children under 12 rated MB higher than RSR in Disney's own surveys. We don't have quite enough surveys to meet our threshold for statistical significance for them. Based on the responses we do have, there's no way MB can make up the difference with RSR over the short term.

I could be wrong.

doctornick

So why are the studios concerned with fatigue then?

Who says studios are "concerned" with the elusive superhero fatigue? I mean, I've certainly seen articles predicting it or people claiming that so and so movie head is worried, but the realty is that the actions of studios suggests that not only are they not concerned, they are actually delighted with how superhero films have done. There is an obscene number of superhero films planned in upcoming years and the number only grows and has resulted in a very crowded calendar for releases.

I don't have any knowledge of what Sony execs are thinking (hey, maybe we'll get another leak sometime) about SM:H but the movie looks like it will end up around $800-850M worldwide and have much better domestic results than both Amazing Spider-Man films despite a quite smaller budget. Also, the reception of the film and character seems to have successfully rehabilitated the image which bodes well for futures installments -- this movie suffered from the baggage from ASM2 and the general issue of being yet another reboot for the character, but future films should get a boost from this reception (as well as from Spider-Man being in Infinity Wars).

Kman101

They're worried about potential fatigue. Not that it's happening now. It's not really the big deal some are making it out to be. I was going off what tirian posted (who isn't wrong). I know a lot of you eat up these movies up and keep posting box office numbers, but there is a point where it will be oversaturation. It's all just speculation that's being taken too seriously.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's not clear what time metric or demographic Chapek was using. Mission Breakout rates very, very well, but it hasn't yet unseated Radiator Springs Racers in our surveys.

I would be very surprised if children under 12 rated MB higher than RSR in Disney's own surveys. We don't have quite enough surveys to meet our threshold for statistical significance for them. Based on the responses we do have, there's no way MB can make up the difference with RSR over the short term.

I could be wrong.
TRON ranks 3rd or 4th in SHDL depending which metrics you use. For what it's worth.

Daveeeeed

It’s not even close to Radiator Springs Racers. IMO the ride itself is an improvement to DCA’s old Tower of Terror, but it still pales in comparison to Orlando’s, Indy, or RSR.

JWG

I just want to share what I hope they do for this ride that they won't because it's not how current Disney roles but --

I really hope they turn the old arcade exiting Space back into an arcade (obviously Flynn's Arcade) and that they somehow make having to cross the railroad similar to Space where you go under the tracks to make it feel like you're actually going down under the arcade and to Flynn's office. It'd be the perfect transition to the grid.

They've got plenty of 80's arcade games sitting around with the closure of Quest...

Biff215

I just want to share what I hope they do for this ride that they won't because it's not how current Disney roles but --

I really hope they turn the old arcade exiting Space back into an arcade (obviously Flynn's Arcade) and that they somehow make having to cross the railroad similar to Space where you go under the tracks to make it feel like you're actually going down under the arcade and to Flynn's office. It'd be the perfect transition to the grid.

They've got plenty of 80's arcade games sitting around with the closure of Quest...
Nice idea, but unfortunately they sold them.

azox

This would be a great idea. Unfortunately they pulled all of the arcade games from all of the parks sadly. It's funny how they did that, but the resorts still have games. I just don't get it.

Biff215

This would be a great idea. Unfortunately they pulled all of the arcade games from all of the parks sadly. It's funny how they did that, but the resorts still have games. I just don't get it.
In the resorts they eliminated the ticket system, something to do with the "games of chance" legislation. They could still have an arcade in the parks if they wanted, but they're probably more trouble than they're worth.

mickeyfan5534

why WW and Aquaman are hits and adapt as they extend their line
One word: optimism. DC Comics aside from Batman Family which is mostly a hard pessimism with optimistic themes are so inherently optimistic that the pessimistic gritty world portrayed in Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman just doesn't jar well with these characters. Wonder Woman got that down. There are moments of desperation and darkness but your hero always rises up and becomes this bright light and shows that everything isn't bad. This goes for Marvel too, just look at the final battle in Spider-Man Homecoming. What I'm saying is these aren't the Christian coded good vs evil fiction everyone thinks comics are. Heroes like Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Captain America, and especially Superman are expressly based in Jewish fiction and folklore that show normal people doing above normal things to make the world a better place.
stan_lee_quote.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom