News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

No need to go to Singapore. Just get in any SUV in the parking lot and sit there with the motor turned of and the windows cracked halfway down. Granted that isn't a horrible terrible thing if the SUV is moving.... But now stop it to simulate what would happen when the system had an issue. See how long you enjoy that time in the Florida heat. And at some point the system will fail, I haven't seen any Disney transport that has been perfect for the life of the system.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Kamikaze

I think you're on the right track there. It's also possible, if Imagineers were involved, that the cabins could be made to switch lines automatically at the transfer points. As long as it's done symmetrically then it would work out. (I know someone here could do the math to prove it) Imagine getting on a gondola at AoA with a digital sign that said Epcot. Then you could have a direct trip (through all the transfer points, maybe picking up more guests on the way) to your destination. Then the queues would be at the resorts, not the transfer points. It would also simplify navigation. CM: "Oh you want to go to Epcot? Take the Skyliner to CBR South and then transfer to the CBR North line, then transfer to the Epcot line."

It has already been confirmed that there is no line switching in the system. Gondolas for that line stay on that line.

Kamikaze

I'm not sure they care if the upset the DVC guests or not. The people in the DVC are already committed and Disney has them hooked. Even if they get annoyed and storm off they still have to keep paying under the terms of the contract.

They do. They will bend over backwards more for DVC guests than pretty much anyone else that isn't a VIP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks everyone for the correction on the hourly capacity (from many people). I actually have read all 237 of this thread, but I believe I was mixing up threads with my 30 seconds per dispatch (I think Martin said that about Rat/Battle/Falcon/Railroad or something else). Back onto a discussion (not A/C related), do we we have any additional info on wraps used? I know we have 90s and today Mickey/Minnie, Donald/Goofy, and the Hitchhiking Ghosts. Would the Avengers be allowed on these or does it go over Epcot or DHS airspace like the Epcot monorail?

Avengers could only be allowed as part of a national campaign for a new movie, otherwise, no. Other Marvel superheroes that can go in the park, such as the Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange, yes.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
skylinermap.jpg

The more technical rendering in the background of this slide appear to be an exact match with the cabins used on the Singapore Cable Car.
img_3465.jpg

Seven windows that open, eight passenger cabins. Someone please go to Singapore and report back so we can put the A.C. issue to rest.

Funny that isn't it.

https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/references/8-mgd-intra-island-cableway/

This one is time lapse. Slow it down to .25 for actual speed...

This one shows what a intermediate station, like at Riviera station would look like.

Monorail_Orange

No need to go to Singapore. Just get in any SUV in the parking lot and sit there with the motor turned of and the windows cracked halfway down. Granted that isn't a horrible terrible thing if the SUV is moving.... But now stop it to simulate what would happen when the system had an issue. See how long you enjoy that time in the Florida heat. And at some point the system will fail, I haven't seen any Disney transport that has been perfect for the life of the system.
Look, I know you aren't giving this up, but if you scroll back a page or two, you'll see that Martin just confirmed they did ONSITE testing and A/C was deemed unnecessary. Considering that there is currently no active cable car lines anywhere on WDW property, I would imagine that this testing was done stationary. Proper ventilation goes a long way. Think about how people lived - in the South - before A/C, I'll give you a hint...ventilation.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Assuming that the hotels along the gondola route are around 90% occupied on any given day, what kind of pressure is that going to have on IG? Its obvious that it wont be the quiet and kind of secret entrance into Epcot that it used to be. But can the IG even handle that kind of crowd? Factor in security, it will only make it more of a bottleneck when getting off the gondola. Unless the gondola will now fall within the safety zone and people will be checked prior to boarding and security at the IG gets pushed way back near the bridge by the BC. I'm sure it is going to look very very different in 2021

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Assuming that the hotels along the gondola route are around 90% occupied on any given day, what kind of pressure is that going to have on IG? Its obvious that it wont be the quiet and kind of secret entrance into Epcot that it used to be. But can the IG even handle that kind of crowd? Factor in security, it will only make it more of a bottleneck when getting off the gondola. Unless the gondola will now fall within the safety zone and people will be checked prior to boarding and security at the IG gets pushed way back near the bridge by the BC. I'm sure it is going to look very very different in 2021

You have to go through security to get on the gondola, so, those getting off at the IG station only have to go through tapstiles, which, at the rate they disembark (at max.. 8 people every 12 seconds) can be easily handled. This means the gondola people will not be mixing in with walkers until the walkerd pass security.

thomas998

Look, I know you aren't giving this up, but if you scroll back a page or two, you'll see that Martin just confirmed they did ONSITE testing and A/C was deemed unnecessary. Considering that there is currently no active cable car lines anywhere on WDW property, I would imagine that this testing was done stationary. Proper ventilation goes a long way. Think about how people lived - in the South - before A/C, I'll give you a hint...ventilation.
They may have done onsite testing. It might not get hot enough to kill someone with any AC... maybe it wasn't hot the day they did the test maybe it was... Doesn't matter to me. I grew up in the south and had relatives that had no AC... guess what no one wanted to visit them in the summer months. All I can say is there is no way I would ever ride in a gondola in the Florida heat if it didn't have AC and I suspect there are more than a few people that either feel that way now or will become believers after they ride along in a hanging green house.

thomas998

You have to go through security to get on the gondola, so, those getting off at the IG station only have to go through tapstiles, which, at the rate they disembark (at max.. 8 people every 12 seconds) can be easily handled. This means the gondola people will not be mixing in with walkers until the walkerd pass security.
If they are going to run it like they do the monorail in DL I wonder why they don't put the place somewhere deeper in EPCOT where it would spread out the crowd more.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Avengers could only be allowed as part of a national campaign for a new movie, otherwise, no. Other Marvel superheroes that can go in the park, such as the Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange, yes.

It would be really splitting legal hairs when trying to determine the gondolas enter Epcot or not. It's not quite as cut and dry as the monorail.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
If they are going to run it like they do the monorail in DL I wonder why they don't put the place somewhere deeper in EPCOT where it would spread out the crowd more.

It's not going to be run like DL, the gondola will not let off in the park, it will let off inside the security perimeter but not inside the gate. This is similar to what they are doing at MK now where the security screening happens at the TTC.

Monorail_Orange

They may have done onsite testing. It might not get hot enough to kill someone with any AC... maybe it wasn't hot the day they did the test maybe it was... Doesn't matter to me. I grew up in the south and had relatives that had no AC... guess what no one wanted to visit them in the summer months. All I can say is there is no way I would ever ride in a gondola in the Florida heat if it didn't have AC and I suspect there are more than a few people that either feel that way now or will become believers after they ride along in a hanging green house.
"I know you aren't giving this up" was how I started my previous response. I rest my case.

Nonetheless, if you choose to reject all of the facts/opinions that are being shown to you by knowledgeable people, then by all means, knock yourself out. People have given you specific examples of similar systems in similar climates without a/c that worked just fine. Probably the most similar being the "Mississippi River Gondola" built in New Orleans for the 1984 World's Fair. New Orleans and Orlando share a remarkably similar climate; those gondolas had no A/C; the system ran sporadically for several years past the Fair; everyone did just fine in those far more enclosed cabins - going over the Mighty Miss (no chance for evac outside of stations). Again, if you choose to reject reality and substitute your own, have fun. However, you are being completely unrealistic almost to the level of me wondering...
th

truecoat

Although Disney looked at a system that would transport the whole resort at once, they luckily decided on one that would bring people in smaller amounts so they will spread out getting to the attractions they want to see first or have fastpasses for.

thomas998

It's not going to be run like DL, the gondola will not let off in the park, it will let off inside the security perimeter but not inside the gate. This is similar to what they are doing at MK now where the security screening happens at the TTC.
Okay... shame they don't do it like DL so you could eliminate part of the gate crush.

thomas998

"I know you aren't giving this up" was how I started my previous response. I rest my case.

Nonetheless, if you choose to reject all of the facts/opinions that are being shown to you by knowledgeable people, then by all means, knock yourself out. People have given you specific examples of similar systems in similar climates without a/c that worked just fine. Probably the most similar being the "Mississippi River Gondola" built in New Orleans for the 1984 World's Fair. New Orleans and Orlando share a remarkably similar climate; those gondolas had no A/C; the system ran sporadically for several years past the Fair; everyone did just fine in those far more enclosed cabins - going over the Mighty Miss (no chance for evac outside of stations). Again, if you choose to reject reality and substitute your own, have fun. However, you are being completely unrealistic almost to the level of me wondering...
th
If your looking for obtuse, look in the mirror. I have never said the system wouldn't work only pointed out that there are some areas where it is going to be far from the best experience you can have. So let me put in terms even you should be able to understand. You can ride in a taxi from the airport to MK in the middle of a hot summer day with no AC and only windows rolled down, or you can ride in a taxi with an AC... which one do you really think is the better experience. Both are going to get your there but one is going to be much nicer. Is that clear enough for you to understand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay... shame they don't do it like DL so you could eliminate part of the gate crush.

The problem with that is, along with the security check, they would have to check tickets at the CBR south hub for everyone going to the park. If there is a problem with the tickets there is no easy access to guest services to handle it. You would also have to deal with the case of people staying at those resorts and wanting to buy tickets at the gate, I am sure this is rare but don't doubt it happens. Finally doing this would also prevent people from taking the gondola to go to the boardwalk area, or even people from that area choosing to ride it to DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom