News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I've read hints that the stations could be nicely themed. What about all the pylons/towers?

It will be nifty to ride and better than waiting for a bus, but it seems like a giant eyesore. All those wires and the towers - blech. Remember how poorly the Skyway clashed with Tomorrowland?

I think it's sort of sad that after 50 years there isn't a more effective, attractive and affordable transportation alternative. We've gone from monorails and PeopleMovers to this. I think it's a giant step backwards.

Frequently aesthetics and functionality are working at cross purposes. Unless you go subterranean your marvel to some would look like garbage.

cindy_k

not sure if this has been asked, will you have to fold up the stroller to go on? or can you wheel them on like on the monorail?

Of course it has. There probably is not a question that hasn't.

The answer is 'it depends'. How many are in your party, how big your stroller is, etc. You will not be forced to fold it up like on a bus.

Here's an OK shot of the inside of an 8 person gondola. It isn't the exact system WDW is getting.
67f74b521b.jpg

My mother uses a scooter, and these would much better than the monorail. You can't just roll on to the monorail, its higher than the platform. The cast members have to get a ramp and put it down.

Dapper Dan

It seems like a big monorail loop would have made a lot more sense logistically. Practically every guest at a resort that uses the gondola will have to make at least one transfer to get where they want to go. A monorail loop even could have gone to the Epcot main entrance, meaning guests at those resorts would have easier access to the Magic Kingdom as well.

I also don't understand why they didn't just connect the waterway between China and Caribbean Beach and make a second International Gateway replacing that lame African Outpost thing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It seems like a big monorail loop would have made a lot more sense logistically. Practically every guest at a resort that uses the gondola will have to make at least one transfer to get where they want to go. A monorail loop even could have gone to the Epcot main entrance, meaning guests at those resorts would have easier access to the Magic Kingdom as well.

I also don't understand why they didn't just connect the waterway between China and Caribbean Beach and make a second International Gateway replacing that lame African Outpost thing.

A monorail loop might make more sense logistically but it would cost a lot more to build, likely cost a lot more to operate and would take up a lot more space. All the guests from AOA/Pop would have to transfer, but the guests at CBR and a lot at Riviera will not. Even with transfers this is likely to be faster then busses.

Doing that would require them to build and staff a third entrance. Putting it at the IG avoids this and also allows the gondolas to service all the Boardwalk area resorts.

Kamikaze

But a monorail loop would cost in orders of magnitude more than this. Probably 20-25x more.

Connecting the waterway would work if they were only adding CBR/Riviera. This also adds AoA/Pop.

You're also neglecting to mention that this connects the 4 resorts to DHS as well, without the use of buses. Can't do that with a waterway, and you'd add another giant pile of costs to run the monorail there. You're planning a $1.5b monorail expansion when they are spending $50m to build this.

Kamikaze

That waterway goes all the way down to AoA and Pop.

It most certainly does not. The north parking lot of AoA/Pop is in the way. And you're neglecting to mention that Buena Vista Drive and Century Drive are in the way and would have to be rebuilt.

Not to mention that the boats at WDW are extremely slow and inefficient. Its faster to walk than to take those boats in nearly every case.

Incomudro

If your looking for obtuse, look in the mirror. I have never said the system wouldn't work only pointed out that there are some areas where it is going to be far from the best experience you can have. So let me put in terms even you should be able to understand. You can ride in a taxi from the airport to MK in the middle of a hot summer day with no AC and only windows rolled down, or you can ride in a taxi with an AC... which one do you really think is the better experience. Both are going to get your there but one is going to be much nicer. Is that clear enough for you to understand.
I agree.
The gondola company offers an A/C option.
If A/C is not a suitable option for a gondola system in central Florida, then I don't know where in the US it would be.
The comments you are getting "they decided it isn't needed," or "what did people do in the south before A/C are ridiculous.
This is a hot, humid climate, packed with guests, often of unusual size - many of whom are cranky kids, or are rolling strollers full of cranky kids.

thomas998

Listen, buddy, you have to read the thread. The whole thread. You keep bringing up things that have been brought up before. You're not adding anything new to the discussion. And don't tell my that you're reading the thread... really reading it. You inquired about the gate crush. But did you not see this posted 50 minutes ago?...
Actually I don't have to read the thread anymore than you have to read anything I write - pretty simple now isn't it.

thomas998

Wow...so your response is, "I know you are but what am I." Great comeback, Cal. And then, you try to pivot your position from: no one's going to ride it because it will be like a greenhouse - hence it won't work; to: I never said it wouldn't work just that it needs a/c to be a pleasant experience. As other posters have also noticed, you are continually stuck on the same mantras why this is a bad idea, even though your concerns have been addressed in this thread ad nauseum. Obviously, you have issues with examining your own opinions against others to consider an alternative view. It must be hard to always be right about everything, no?
Being right when you are isn't difficult... I guess I should ask you how thinking you are right when your wrong is working for you. Then again I suspect you haven't a clue how deluded you actually are.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Lights inside a gondola at night would be awful, you wouldn't be able to see out that well, just reflections of everyone in the gondola.

Riding in the dark, with strangers, might cause more problems then it is worth. If you want to see the scenery, ride during the day.

they'll be enough glow from the cell phones...

Kamikaze

I agree.
The gondola company offers an A/C option.
If A/C is not a suitable option for a gondola system in central Florida, then I don't know where in the US it would be.
The comments you are getting "they decided it isn't needed," or "what did people do in the south before A/C are ridiculous.
This is a hot, humid climate, packed with guests, often of unusual size - many of whom are cranky kids, or are rolling strollers full of cranky kids.

They did on-site testing and determined it wasn't needed.

There have been numerous people who have reported in this thread riding gondolas without AC in similar (or hotter) environments and that the lack of AC was not an issue.

nickys

Premium Member

I think the waterway was ruled out because it would go through the backstage area where all the pyrotechnics are stored. That's the way the barge is brought through each day for Illuminations.

Not a good idea to have continuously, in fact any, arriving boats through a fireworks storage centre.

And the alternatives (a new storage area with access for the Illuminations barges, or a new access point for the canal) was too expensive and would also have an impact an expansion pad.

Kamikaze

Did they do this testing with actual people from the North? :confused:

Does it really matter? If they thought it was in any way necessary they would have opted to do it. They aren't going to have all their guests that use the system complaining about it. They aren't going to risk potential problems with guests overheating, etc.

Grimley1968

I've learned a lot reading this thread since its beginning. But most of what I've learned can be put under two main categories:

1) different gondola systems around the world
and
2) the patience of some of the posters on here explaining, time and again, how this system will work, when there are others who simply will not read the first 5 or 10 pages or so of the thread to get their bearings and still insist on posting the same problems that have been answered time and again and again, is absolutely amazing. Credit where credit is due. That level of patience is something I can only dream about having.

Dapper Dan

I think the waterway was ruled out because it would go through the backstage area where all the pyrotechnics are stored. That's the way the barge is brought through each day for Illuminations.

Not a good idea to have continuously, in fact any, arriving boats through a fireworks storage centre.

And the alternatives (a new storage area with access for the Illuminations barges, or a new access point for the canal) was too expensive and would also have an impact an expansion pad.
I don't see a problem in floating past firework storage. Fireworks are pretty easy to store, they just have to be dry and in temperatures below their ignition point. People do work there, it's not like Disney only has to worry about the place blowing up if guests are near.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom