News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cosmicgirl

Nope... In the morning you have a massive amount of guest leaving all the resorts for the parks. The Gondolas aren't going to be moving faster from one resort than from another and will have the same cars at each so every car leaving CBR will be just as full as the ones leaving any other park in the morning. They will all be dumping people at the same transfer point for a park, in my example Hollywood Studios which is going to be the exact same gondola system that dumped them off removing people at the same rate that people are removed from the CBR... So when CBR and any other resort dump guest at the transfer point going to Hollywood Studios there is going to be a build up of guests. Not sure why you can't see that. You keep focusing on the numbers of people at a hotel which has nothing to do with the number that are going to get on a car leaving that hotel in the morning rush. Just because you are in a resort that has half as many guests doesn't mean the Cast Member at the gondola station is only going to allow half as many people to the gondola that is leaving the station...They will fill it up to capacity and that is the problem.
You're forgetting that there are 4 parks, 2 water parks and Disney Springs. Even leaving out the latter 3 and dividing the guests over 4 parks evenly (even though we all know that MK gets more) would mean that only 1600 people would want to get from CBR and DRR to DHS per day. Even in your completely unrealistic scenario where all of them would want to go to to DHS at the exact same time, by definition of the 2400pph capacity, there could only ever be a 40-minute wait.

And indeed, as @lazyboy97o just stated design demand is not peak demand. It's okay for there to be a wait at peak moments.

thomas998

I don't really get the capacity complaints regarding the Gondola. You wait for pretty much all transportation at Walt Disney World as it is...

A single articulated bus has the capacity of about 125 people. I know that they're more frequent in the morning, but the average time between buses is around 20 minutes. That means you're looking at an hourly capacity of around 375? I know it doesn't exactly work out that way, and at peak times it's no where near a 20 minute wait. But comparatively, the capacity for the resort buses is going to be lower than that of the Gondola system.

The boats between Port Orleans and Disney Springs have a capacity of 34 people, and they also run up to one every 20 minutes. That gives it a minimum capacity of around 102 people per hour. Yet people don't seem to criticise that as an amenity available to guests.

The Gondola system is completely different though. Think of it more as a PeopleMover, it's constantly loading people, which means even if there is a queue, it's constantly moving. Which to me, is better than standing around waiting for what seems like forever. We've already got examples of gondola systems that have the capacity of 4,500 people per hour, so I don't envisage anyone having a problem getting on-board the system in a reasonable timespan. It'll be just like the monorail, you may have to wait, but not long.
I don't think its a problem to have a short wait for any transportation leaving a hotel or park... but it does become an annoyance if you get stuck in the middle and have to wait somewhere else... like flying it is a pain to have to switch planes to get where your going, now it becomes a bigger pain if you have to wait in line to make that switch.

Jordanaous

I don't think its a problem to have a short wait for any transportation leaving a hotel or park... but it does become an annoyance if you get stuck in the middle and have to wait somewhere else... like flying it is a pain to have to switch planes to get where your going, now it becomes a bigger pain if you have to wait in line to make that switch.

I can see that, but then you could argue that those getting the monorail from resorts on Seven Seas Lagoon have had to do that for Epcot for years. It's never been too big of an issue for those guests, and they're paying considerably more than I expect those to pay at Pop/AoA even after the gondola... Those staying at CBR should have the central station so shouldn't need to change anyway.

thomas998

You're forgetting that there are 4 parks, 2 water parks and Disney Springs. Even leaving out the latter 3 and dividing the guests over 4 parks evenly (even though we all know that MK gets more) would mean that only 1600 people would want to get from CBR and DRR to DHS per day. Even in your completely unrealistic scenario where all of them would want to go to to DHS at the exact same time, by definition of the 2400pph capacity, there could only ever be a 40-minute wait.

And indeed, as @lazyboy97o just stated design demand is not peak demand. It's okay for there to be a wait at peak moments.
Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_29631.jpg

The initial design has nothing going to any water parks... The problem is the transfer point at Seabreeze Drive... My scenario for a morning with extra magic hours at Hollywood Studios is not unrealistic. Do you honestly think people at CBR are going to go to Epcot to wait 2 hours? And it still doesn't matter if half the people at both resort decide not to go to Hollywood Studios there will be enough from both resort wanting Hollywood Studios to fill the cars in the peak time creating the bottle neck at Seabreeze station. You keep getting mired in the thought that some people will go other places... The gondola aren't going to have place holders for each guest so having some go else where doesn't impact the number of guest the system will be dropping off during peak times.

Lift Blog

skylinermap.jpg

The more technical rendering in the background of this slide appear to be an exact match with the cabins used on the Singapore Cable Car.
img_3465.jpg

Seven windows that open, eight passenger cabins. Someone please go to Singapore and report back so we can put the A.C. issue to rest.

Kamikaze

The only issue I see is for those at the Riviera Resort. I assume they will have communication to both IG and CBR South to control how many empty gondolas to send for the waiting guests.

They don't 'send' anything. The gondolas all stay on their respective lines. Once they come out of the station, they go back.

lazyboy97o

skylinermap.jpg

The more technical rendering in the background of this slide appear to be an exact match with the cabins used on the Singapore Cable Car.
img_3465.jpg

Seven windows that open, eight passenger cabins. Someone please go to Singapore and report back so we can put the A.C. issue to rest.
But Singapore isn’t Florida!!!! It’s different!!!!

Maybe that’ll delay the inevitable for a page or two. :)

ABQ

Has it been mentioned or is it even a concern, if the International Gateway will be widened or additional turnstiles put in to accommodate the increased usage once the gondolas begin dropping off there? It can be a bit of a bottleneck there as it is already.

Minthorne

Has it been mentioned or is it even a concern, if the International Gateway will be widened or additional turnstiles put in to accommodate the increased usage once the gondolas begin dropping off there? It can be a bit of a bottleneck there as it is already.

Yes, the security will be moved back (Gondola Station is inside the secure zone) and I believe there will be more entry pylons to tap you Mickey to.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
They don't 'send' anything. The gondolas all stay on their respective lines. Once they come out of the station, they go back.

I think his idea is that they could intentionally leave gondolas empty at CBR south so they could be filled at CBR north, otherwise on a busy morning it's possible that POP/AOA and CBR south would be using up all the capacity and the DVC people would be shut out.

Kamikaze

I think his idea is that they could intentionally leave gondolas empty at CBR south so they could be filled at CBR north, otherwise on a busy morning it's possible that POP/AOA and CBR south would be using up all the capacity and the DVC people would be shut out.

I'm sure they have planned for that. Whether that means empty cabins or making everyone disembark at the Riviera station remains to be seen. Obviously the less they upset the DVC guests the better.

Monorail Mike

I think you're on the right track there. It's also possible, if Imagineers were involved, that the cabins could be made to switch lines automatically at the transfer points. As long as it's done symmetrically then it would work out. (I know someone here could do the math to prove it) Imagine getting on a gondola at AoA with a digital sign that said Epcot. Then you could have a direct trip (through all the transfer points, maybe picking up more guests on the way) to your destination. Then the queues would be at the resorts, not the transfer points. It would also simplify navigation. CM: "Oh you want to go to Epcot? Take the Skyliner to CBR South and then transfer to the CBR North line, then transfer to the Epcot line."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think you're on the right track there. It's also possible, if Imagineers were involved, that the cabins could be made to switch lines automatically at the transfer points. As long as it's done symmetrically then it would work out. (I know someone here could do the math to prove it) Imagine getting on a gondola at AoA with a digital sign that said Epcot. Then you could have a direct trip (through all the transfer points, maybe picking up more guests on the way) to your destination. Then the queues would be at the resorts, not the transfer points. It would also simplify navigation. CM: "Oh you want to go to Epcot? Take the Skyliner to CBR South and then transfer to the CBR North line, then transfer to the Epcot line."

There are gondola system that can do that kind of switching. That sort of design would come from the gondola manufacturer not from imaginnering.

orky8

Just to clarify, there is only one transfer. The CBR station has three lines - (1) DHS to CBR, (2) Pop/AOA to CBR, and (3) Epcot to DVC Riviera (midway station) to CBR. All transfers are at CBR, with the current plan.

To ensure the midway station at DVC has capacity to accommodate folks, I expect that at peak times, the Epcot and CBR stations will send empty gondolas by not letting people board and letting the gondola go unfilled.

And all this has been discussed.

thomas998

skylinermap.jpg

img_3465.jpg

No need to go to Singapore. Just get in any SUV in the parking lot and sit there with the motor turned of and the windows cracked halfway down. Granted that isn't a horrible terrible thing if the SUV is moving.... But now stop it to simulate what would happen when the system had an issue. See how long you enjoy that time in the Florida heat. And at some point the system will fail, I haven't seen any Disney transport that has been perfect for the life of the system.

thomas998

Just to clarify, there is only one transfer. The CBR station has three lines - (1) DHS to CBR, (2) Pop/AOA to CBR, and (3) Epcot to DVC Riviera (midway station) to CBR. All transfers are at CBR, with the current plan.

To ensure the midway station at DVC has capacity to accommodate folks, I expect that at peak times, the Epcot and CBR stations will send empty gondolas by not letting people board and letting the gondola go unfilled.

And all this has been discussed.
Of course that will go over well... I can see the visitors now waiting in line to use the transport and seeing the CMs only putting people in ever other car. I wouldn't want to be the CM that has to listen to the complaint for that.

thomas998

I'm sure they have planned for that. Whether that means empty cabins or making everyone disembark at the Riviera station remains to be seen. Obviously the less they upset the DVC guests the better.
I'm not sure they care if the upset the DVC guests or not. The people in the DVC are already committed and Disney has them hooked. Even if they get annoyed and storm off they still have to keep paying under the terms of the contract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom