News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

KBLovedDisney

where they "blast the wall" and show the outside of the park with the idea that i'm gonna leave the attraction and return to 1991
giphy.gif

jt04

Everything beyond present load will be removed.

Was optimistic that when this was rumored that it would not have the massive footprint of GMR. But since the concept was announced I am not so sure. It was once rumored the building might house two attractions with separate entrances.

So, is that still a possibility/likelihood?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was optimistic that when this was rumored that it would not have the massive footprint of GMR. But since the concept was announced I am not so sure. It was once rumored the building might house two attractions with separate entrances.

So, is that still a possibility/likelihood?
It never was a possibility apart from inside someone's overactive fan head.

disneygeek90

I've tried to book fastpasses for the 13th. Apparently 4:30 is the latest time you can get them now. I really want to be there for the last ride of the night though I'm not sure how to accurately plan that. If you, like me, are devastated at this loss, and will be there on the last day, make sure to give your thanks to the CMs and preferably sing along to Chim Chim Cheree and Follow the Yellow Brick Road!
I also want to be on the last ride of the night. I don't think FP's are the way to go. The key is to get in line a minute or two before close. FP's would run right by.

pumpkin7

I may have asked this before, and I may have missed the answer so I sorry, but do you think they will be able to turn the Footlight Parade on properly for one last hurrah, or have the pipes all rusted shut? Would be lovely if they could have it all working properly for at least a day.

SorcererMC

And to hell with the original themes of the parks.

That's the problem. A theme park without theme is superficial eye candy. That's not what I want in a Disney park.

To be fair, they are building 5-minute rides instead of 20-minute rides because guests complain when rides are "too long" and they just watch whatever is on their phones instead. Like it or not, that's reality.

Give me a break. To suggest that these changes are guest demand-driven because of their phones is borderline absurd....

They are giving us what we (or most of us) want. Have you seen the response to Mission Breakout?
What makes you think it's what 'most of us' want? I happen to like Marvel, but that doesn't mean I want to see original rides sacrificed to have it in the parks. Same goes for TGMR.

What is different is that Disney is scooping up IPs like MARVEL now instead of fairy tales and Mary Poppins.
I keep seeing this argument - equating Bob Iger's IP purchases to what Walt Disney did. It's not true, even if it is what TWDC would have you believe. It's sad that people (in general) don't understand the creative process behind classic Disney - ie they don't recognize how Walt Disney changed and adapted the fairytales and made them his own, as an original work and not derivative.
Mary Poppins is a different case since that was negotiated with Travers; she hated the changes.
However, that is not what Disney is doing with Marvel, they have to keep it close to the source material or it won't be a blockbuster.
Iger is using a cookie-cutter; Walt Disney, and the leadership who followed him, did not.

As for corporate synergy, it's reached unprecedented levels but was always present. The parks were always meant to drive interest in the studio and vice-versa.
'Synergy' is a corporate buzzword for brand marketing to increase sales. If you want to make the argument that 'Disney is and always has been a business'...and marketed its product, that's fine, it's true. And Iger has been doing a great job making $$$ for Disney with this studios strategy, there's no denying that.

Once upon a time, TWDC was a creative juggernaut, too.
Make no mistake - Iger is trading on existing brand capital, built over decades, to make investments in the parks (aka "leveraging purchased IP") with zero creative risk...which ultimately erodes the brand.

It's fine if you are on board with the current changes, but that's no reason to be rude to others who see the erosion and aren't pleased with it.
It's a difference of opinion and perspective - it doesn't mean someone doesn't understand 'reality'.

Herbie

I also want to be on the last ride of the night. I don't think FP's are the way to go. The key is to get in line a minute or two before close. FP's would run right by.

Park close or ride close?

Do the rides close exactly at park closing time or perhaps 10 minutes early or?

Mike S

In what warped universe is the construction of $200,000,000 e-tickets "saving" any money? How long do you think GMR would need to be run instead to cost $200,000,000? With the tech they are developing for this ride, it will be quite costly to maintain. How much does it cost to have stagnant mannequins on an enormous wedding cake with bubbles?

We may disagree with some of the choices announced Saturday, but they are certainly not pinching pennies in Florida. They are making a conscious decision to build new, flashy, extremely-expensive rides that will have extremely-high guest-approval ratings. And to hell with the original themes of the parks.

To be fair, they are building 5-minute rides instead of 20-minute rides because guests complain when rides are "too long" and they just watch whatever is on their phones instead. Like it or not, that's reality. They are giving us what we (or most of us) want. Have you seen the response to Mission Breakout?

As for corporate synergy, it's reached unprecedented levels but was always present. The parks were always meant to drive interest in the studio and vice-versa. That's why Sleeping Beauty Castle was Sleeping Beauty Castle years before Sleeping Beauty was a Disney film. What is different is that Disney is scooping up IPs like MARVEL now instead of fairy tales and Mary Poppins. At least the ride discussed in this particular thread is an actual, original theme park attraction not directly tied to a film.
My response after riding was pretty much "same fun drops and now characters I like." The building is still ugly as sin and I would still riot if the same happened to our Tower but now we don't have to worry about that anymore do we? ;)
And yet they managed to stretch Maelstrom an extra 40 seconds or so, leaving it barely above 5 minutes, and folks were happy.

In comparison, Mickey will be luxurious at 7-8 minutes.
Perfect.
Well it won't use the entire space.
Gift shop for the rest is my guess. Gotta have somewhere to sell the same merch as anywhere else on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom