News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Cosmic Commando

Your way actually might make more sense. The stone structure would probably blend more next to the bridge there. For CBR south it's not really all that close to the pool area so it really doesn't need to blend with that look.
I don't think it's that it needs to blend with the pool area, but it just shows that having a Spanish stone fort-style building fits with the theme. And it's something that can pretty much be as huge as it needs to be and still plausibly look like what it's supposed to be.

roj2323

I'm honestly wondering how they will transition from the station level to the 30-50ft off the ground level in a confined space. I mean I know the mechanics of how the system works but transitioning to ground level involves the gondolas having to come down to ground level which means it needs blocked off space where guests can't get to. For the Epcot station it's pretty straight forward as they can just push the station further back into the offstage area and use the space where the tram loop was for the transition space, but what are they going to do for Hollywood studios and the resorts?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm honestly wondering how they will transition from the station level to the 30-50ft off the ground level in a confined space. I mean I know the mechanics of how the system works but transitioning to ground level involves the gondolas having to come down to ground level which means it needs blocked off space where guests can't get to. For the Epcot station it's pretty straight forward as they can just push the station further back into the offstage area and use the space where the tram loop was for the transition space, but what are they going to do for Hollywood studios and the resorts?

I am assuming there will be a major reconfiguration of the bus drop off area and probably the entire entrancre area.

bclane

How about this for a gondola spiel:
¿A todos por favor Cállate el infierno sobre las unidades de aire acondicionado? Es un punto discutible en esta etapa del juego y nada que decir se va a hacer le mirada más inteligente. Gracias.
Tell us how you really feel. lol!

GeneralKnowledge

So my conclusion here is: If you don't agree with someone you're automatically a troll.

:rolleyes::hilarious:

My reasoning for calling him a troll wasn't simply because he has a different opinion, it's the incessant disregarding of the evidence that there will be no AC systems on this gondola and the aggressive and baseless retorts.

To summarize:

1. People with knowledge of this specific project say there are no plans for air conditioning.
2. People with knowledge of gondola systems in general say it is incredibly unlikely that this system will have air conditioning.
3. The overwhelming majority of comparable systems worldwide have no air conditioning.
4. Almost all modern gondolas are equipped with manually operable vents for passive ventilation.
5. The engineering hurdles involved in building a system that has air conditioning are obvious and likely to result in a system that is weak and ineffective.

I can only assume that someone who repeatedly ignores these facts and aggressively promotes that some alternative is likely is doing it for their own entertainment and to be a nuisance, also known as a troll.

I've regrettably wasted too much time with this thread, I'm done here.

roj2323

I am assuming there will be a major reconfiguration of the bus drop off area and probably the entire entrancre area.
well That's a given. Personally My thoughts are they are going to push the buses back and towards the road so there's a larger area in front of the park. This will also allow them to push the tram load/unload back into what's currently the bus/ADA parking which should allow for the new more grand entrance that also simplifies the security screening process and expands the "secure zone" in front of the gates.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm honestly wondering how they will transition from the station level to the 30-50ft off the ground level in a confined space?
Don't forget these things can come down at quite a steep angle. The cleared area will be only as long as the station is.

The bus layout will also be reconfigured and the gondolas will come in over a landscaped strip.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So, back to the station design... even tho' everyone says they're "ground level," it's a common practice to put the load stations at least a half-story above ground level to avoid having gondolas smack nearby pedestrians in the head. Has anyone seen the drawings for the stations and can confirm that there won't be stairs or ramps up to the load platform?

GCTales

So, back to the station design... even tho' everyone says they're "ground level," it's a common practice to put the load stations at least a half-story above ground level to avoid having gondolas smack nearby pedestrians in the head. Has anyone seen the drawings for the stations and can confirm that there won't be stairs or ramps up to the load platform?

I think "ground level" in this case is a relative term... they may be like 6" or so above the ground.. so that there is space below..

If they are truly level with the ground, then they would dig out a foundation (which is needed anyway to handle to equipment) and keep a depression so there is some space under the gondola.

Here is an image of some station types from an online source
http://thecityfix.com/files/2012/11/wire3.jpeg

This flickr site has some good pictures of ground level stations, as well as an over water station....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cup-projects/galleries/72157623997063884/

Incomudro

1) Tesla batteries are not "supercapacitor technology" - they are Lithium Ion batteries, bigger versions of the ones in your laptop.

2) It has been said time and time again that these gondolas will NOT be cooled with mechanical means. Naturally forced air ventilation will be used, which will be very sufficient to provide guest comfort for a short journey. @marni1971 even said that the choice that was made was determined through testing. How in the world is that not good enough for you to stop beating this dead horse further into the ground and arguing with people? Those of us that have a working knowledge of engineering principles (and basic walking around sense to know why turning the fan on in a room, moving the air, makes you feel a good bit cooler) see the issues with having the energy hog that is an AC unit, and why ventilation is fine.

Forced Florida air on a hot and muggy day will be far from very sufficient to provide guest comfort on a short journey.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Forced Florida air on a hot and muggy day will be far from very sufficient to provide guest comfort on a short journey.

That's why they shut down WDW in the summer since there is no way to air condition the hot and muggy air outside all the buildings. And in all the outside queues. And all the outside dining facilities. And in the the ferry boats. And in the monorail stations. And at the bus stops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom