Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

SpaceMountain77

Well if they have no qualms destroying GMR, what's to stop them from destroying arguably the most iconic Disney attraction? Hopefully someone steps in for a change.

I honestly do not believe that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts perceives any attraction to have historical significance, warranting preservation. In 2008, when it was announced that it's a small world, at the Disneyland Resort, would be plussed with the addition of Disney characters, I came to the realization that no attraction was invulnerable. UNICEF fights for the rights of every child and it's a small world was intended to celebrate its core values. Now, it's a small world reminds you to stop by the it's a small world Toy Shop to purchase a Disney plush.

@marni1971 , do you think any attraction is truly sacred to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts?

the.dreamfinder

I honestly do not believe that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts perceives any attraction to have historical significance, warranting preservation. In 2008, when it was announced that it's a small world, at the Disneyland Resort, would be plussed with the addition of Disney characters, I came to the realization that no attraction was invulnerable. UNICEF fights for the rights of every child and it's a small world was intended to celebrate its core values. Now, it's a small world reminds you to stop by the it's a small world Toy Shop to purchase a Disney plush.

@marni1971 , do you think any attraction is truly sacred to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts?
They don't see theme parks as an art form. It's an ancillary revenue stream with a hotel/timeshare component.

Biff215

Let's be honest, SSE with or without a sponsor is hardly Epcot's biggest issue. I don't think we need to fear a drastic replacement like Time Racers. Even if weren't a structural concern, gutting SSE and going in another direction would be very costly and take a lot of time. All right at the front of the park. Same reason they wouldn't demolish it entirely.

Our biggest concern should be that Disney will allow the attraction to fall into disrepair like GMR. SSE would likely be closed before it was converted into a new attraction IMO. Let's just hope for a new sponsor who fits and forces Disney to update it appropriately.

njDizFan

No art; I wasn't permitted to take it with me. My memory is hazy; I was looking at a tablet one night ironically waiting for RoE. Plenty of physical sets along with time "portal" archways the ride vehicles would pass though. Funnily similar in appearance to the archway of today's SSE just before the photo capture. The layout was like today; spiralling track up through the building. Somewhere near 180top the final portal would open up and vehicles would "launch" through it. All contained in the existing building, Innoventions wasn't involved. Some exterior track was mentioned.
Isn't that the picture in your avatar?

clemmo

Wow it seems I've missed a lot in a few hours. From what I gather I'm confused as to what all the doom and gloom talk of closing is about. Also good to see the illuminations replacement plan is going ahead that needs to be done imo.

njDizFan

The answer to this question seems to come, indirectly, from Chase. If you speak to your Chase Private Client service representative, then you will likely be informed that the American Adventure lounge will no longer be accessible to Chase customers.

Also, the lounge does not appear to be advertised in any current Chase marketing.
They signed a multi-year deal in 2016 for that space during food and wine.
https://media.chase.com/content/pr/chase-returns-to-epcot-with-cardmember-lounge

Also I don't believe that it was Private Client branded.

Viget

Not to sound naive or pollyannish, but maybe the reason Siemens is out is because Disney has a better offer from a different sponsor? Especially if the explanation is coming forthwith? Surely Disney would announce that with a press release.

Seems hard to fathom, I give you that, but it does check the right boxes. Siemens may have been trying to counter with a better offer (maybe throwing in the monorails?... if there's any truth to that) and Disney just said thanks, but no thanks. So it wasn't really up to Siemens here, and hence the surprise factor.

Hard to believe there's a corp that could (or would want to) pony up more money for an Epcot sponsorship, but I guess it could happen.

njDizFan

Does that say signed in 2016 or continuing a current deal for 2016?
Wilmington, DE July 18, 2016 Two-Day Pre-Sale Available for Disney Visa Credit Cardmembers.

Chase today announced that as part of its multi-year agreement with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, U.S., it continues as the presenting sponsor of the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival(Opens Overlay). Running for a record 62 days from September 14 through November 14, 2016.

It looks like is starts in 2016 and continues from there

Edit: It looks like it continues for 2016

Ralphlaw

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard more than once that SSE is the most-ridden attraction in all the parks. Most popular. Most iconic (behind the castle). Perhaps also the most edutaining attraction ever.

Put another way, it will not not not go away simply because the German behemoth is deciding not to renew its sponsorship. Either a sponsor will be found or it will continue on without a sponsor. Cut the panic, salt the rumors, and chill. Epcot would be plenty profitable even without any sponsors. After all, it is the Extremely Profitable Community Of Tomorrow. It is the place where Every Person Comes Out Tired, where the cast members wear Excruciating Polyester Costumes Of Torture, yet is Eisner's Pocket Change On Term. I go there for the Exceedingly Pricey Culinary Options of Taste. It's just too bad that Excessive Planning Can't Obliterate Tantrums.

Epcot without SSE is like Expedition Everest without a yeti. . . . Wait, let's not go there.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Siemens National Convention is currently on going and announced to attendees
Siemens in a 12 year sponsorship was to replace one monorail in return for the Siemens name being on monorail. Disney said No to name on new monorail. They announced further we are out of there. Discouraged future conventions being booked at WDW. Done.

DisneyGigi

Does that say signed in 2016 or continuing a current deal for 2016?
Hmmm.. maybe I am reading too much into your question, but one thing I have learned over the years of reading these boards- you are pretty much always right. Guessing that I will not be able to do the cardholder lounge this year and highly doubt, I will ever be lucky enough to experience any Club 33.. outside of a lottery win! Lol

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Siemens National Convention is currently on going and announced to attendees
Siemens in a 12 year sponsorship was to replace one monorail in return for the Siemens name being on monorail. Disney said No to name on new monorail. They announced further we are out of there. Discouraged future conventions being booked at WDW. Done.

So you're saying that because Disney rejected Siemens offer to brand new monorails they pulled all of their sponsorships? That seems extremely questionable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom