Expect more premium events with recent organizational changes

Kman101

No one is really saying they find it wrong that people WANT to pay for these upcharges (though some will, and who cares if they do say that? Pay for your upcharge and don't worry about someone questioning it). Some of us are arguing against them because of what they mean and the actual reason they're doing them. Some upcharges, if effort is put into them, are just fine.

disneyflush

I take it you didn't spend much time at Star Wars Weekends in the final few years. It had become an unmitigated disaster. The park, in its current state, could not support those crowds.

You asked for an example. Poster gave you an example.

"You were right, thanks for the example."
or
"They HAD to make that an upcharge event so it doesn't even support your argument."

At least acknowledge that he gave you what you asked for before you start the pivot.

21stamps

Those options literally didn't exist prior to FP+, which everyone likes to complain about. They're not something that always existed but were taken away, they were something that never existed, then were added, then went away. Net zero impact.

This one is just ridiculous. That's not an "experience," that's just standing in a place.

Shhh.. I thought dessert parties were previously free.

Re: the Star Wars event, I didn't attend, but I understand how it is of huge appeal to people. There are plenty of people who will pay for smaller crowds.

Hasn't anyone been to an amphitheater concert before? I'm too old to do Lawn Seats now, but when I was younger- we always did "VIP Lawn" for Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, OAR, etc.. were we getting a "Nordstrom" experience? Nope.

We sat in the lawn with everyone else, but here's what we did get- premium parking, a separate line for VIP ticket holders, and a bar and restroom exclusively for VIP holders- hundreds of them., so not completely exclusive, but away from the crazy lines elsewhere. Completely worth the up charge.

This type of thing has been in existence for at least 17 years. People pay the fees for convenience.

Look at dessert parties this way- less people in lines for those who aren't participating :)
win-win

Roknrollrghostr

Does anyone know more about Josh D'Amaro? I mean, he seems like a cool guy in photos and videos. And it seems like hardly anything's been cut operationally to compensate for longer park hours and more attractions that need to be staffed, which is great but very unusual these days. The parade is the only significant loss I see. But I don't know who to credit for that... maybe Josh, maybe not. I am just a poor outside observer.

If anyone knows anything and can share, that would be great.
He was only VP of Animal Kingdom for about a year and a half I think, from Feb 2013 to summer 2014. Before that he was head of Adventures by Disney, and after the DAK gig he became VP of Resort and Transportation ops. I have no idea what impacts he has had in any of those positions.

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure he was responsible for Harambe Nights, which was actually a really cool upcharge experience that I would pay to do again.

No Name

He was only VP of Animal Kingdom for about a year and a half I think, from Feb 2013 to summer 2014. Before that he was head of Adventures by Disney, and after the DAK gig he became VP of Resort and Transportation ops. I have no idea what impacts he has had in any of those positions.

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure he was responsible for Harambe Nights, which was actually a really cool upcharge experience that I would pay to do again.

Huh... Joe Rohde posted a picture on Instagram with the two of them at the moss wall on May 18 of this year, and referred to him as the VP of Disney's Animal Kingdom. He was also in one of the recent videos explaining Pandora, and there too, referred to as VP of DAK. So I believe he was VP of the park right before this switch.

Maybe he was the head of two things at the same time? Maybe he left DAK, then came back? Maybe I'm being stupid and missing something?

Roknrollrghostr

Huh... Joe Rohde posted a picture on Instagram with the two of them at the moss wall on May 18 of this year, and referred to him as the VP of Disney's Animal Kingdom. He was also in one of the recent videos explaining Pandora, and there too, referred to as VP of DAK. So I believe he was VP of the park right before this switch.
Maybe he was the head of two things at the same time? Maybe he left DAK, then came back? Maybe I'm being stupid and missing something?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt-disney-company/news/13aug2014-new-vice-president-for-disney's-animal-kingdom-as-josh-d'amaro-moves-to-new-role.htm
Maybe he's still involved in his current role? Or maybe it has to do with Pandora construction starting while he was DAK VP? It was my understanding that Djuan Rivers was still there. If you're missing something, I certainly am too!

Edit to add: I just checked the instagram post, that's Djuan Rivers.

Last edited:

Delgado

They could try Villains Unleashed again.

Or another rare character event.

Will it happen? Not in a million years!
I'm begging for an event with the villians. Even one children would enjoy just something.

I'd pay for a table service with villians. Get really into theming the food related to villians and m&g... that could be fun.

21stamps

I'm begging for an event with the villians. Even one children would enjoy just something.

I'd pay for a table service with villians. Get really into theming the food related to villians and m&g... that could be fun.

We didn't attend it, but there was one at HS during my trip last November/December

drizgirl

Probably not as much profit margin in the upsells with characters. They seem to prefer upsells where they just pop up some tents or tables for "preferred" viewing of something already built into the schedule (and budget).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One of the most recent would be Star Wars Galactic nights.

Disney discontinued Star Wars Weekends so that it could later be offered as a hard ticketed event.

What was previously included with park admission now costs $130, and even at that price it was watered down from the Star Wars Weekend offering.

The Galactic Nights are so far averaging one a year -- not one's usual definition of a 'cash grab'.

In place of SW Weekends, Disney has provided for free:
  • Upgrades to Star Tours and Jedi Academy
  • new SW museum, short films, and M&Gs
  • 2 new Stage Shows
  • A brand new fireworks show (projections added later)
And all this every single day of the year. For free. And they're building SW fans two new E-Ticket rides and a fully immersive land. For free (of course, we all understand 'for free' means 'with no upcharge'... we're all paying a park entrance fee).

And "for free" you get: expansion of DAK ride hours; RoL; ToLA; night time shows; and Pandora.

And "for free" you'll get TSL.

So, yes, there are premium things you can buy. For example, a plush Mickey for a few bucks. That costs extra! It's an upcharge! So is their $1,000 VIP Tour that's been around forever. There will be more upcharges coming along. Whether it's a souvenir, specialty food, tour, limited ticket party, or priority seating. But there are also billions being spent to give everyone more free stuff. Let the deep pocketed folk fund the park expansions you'll enjoy for free.

AndyS2992

I'm not mad at this, especially if they build good events that are worthwhile. I'm surprised they never did the Lion King thing again at DAK?
You should be mad because a lot of these events should be 'free' or rather covered by your standard admission ticket. WDW has premium Halloween and Christmas parties, at Disneyland Paris these events are free. Go to DLP in October and the Halloween parade, stage shows, fireworks, meeting characters in costumes, treats etc are all given out as standard without paying a penny extra. And this is how it should be in my opinion. You're paying enough for admission as it is. This is funny to me as DLP is the park that is in financial difficulty but offers these things free whereas WDW is raking it in but charges extra for absolutely everything. You'd think it would be the other way around.

21stamps

You should be mad because a lot of these events should be 'free' or rather covered by your standard admission ticket. WDW has premium Halloween and Christmas parties, at Disneyland Paris these events are free. Go to DLP in October and the Halloween parade, stage shows, fireworks, meeting characters in costumes, treats etc are all given out as standard without paying a penny extra. And this is how it should be in my opinion. You're paying enough for admission as it is. This is funny to me as DLP is the park that is in financial difficulty but offers these things free whereas WDW is raking it in but charges extra for absolutely everything. You'd think it would be the other way around.

If a park is having financial difficulties then it makes sense to offer "free" things to draw more crowds..not extra events.

drizgirl

The Galactic Nights are so far averaging one a year -- not one's usual definition of a 'cash grab'.

In place of SW Weekends, Disney has provided for free:
  • Upgrades to Star Tours and Jedi Academy
  • new SW museum, short films, and M&Gs
  • 2 new Stage Shows
  • A brand new fireworks show (projections added later)
And all this every single day of the year. For free. And they're building SW fans two new E-Ticket rides and a fully immersive land. For free (of course, we all understand 'for free' means 'with no upcharge'... we're all paying a park entrance fee).

And "for free" you get: expansion of DAK ride hours; RoL; ToLA; night time shows; and Pandora.

And "for free" you'll get TSL.

So, yes, there are premium things you can buy. For example, a plush Mickey for a few bucks. That costs extra! It's an upcharge! So is their $1,000 VIP Tour that's been around forever. There will be more upcharges coming along. Whether it's a souvenir, specialty food, tour, limited ticket party, or priority seating. But there are also billions being spent to give everyone more free stuff. Let the deep pocketed folk fund the park expansions you'll enjoy for free.
I sort of thought those "free" things were to make up for all the stuff they closed for construction.

And I'm sorry....... but "free"? Come on.........:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom