Expect more premium events with recent organizational changes

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There's plenty that I absolutely will not do, some that I will do, and others that I'd like to do, but can't totally justify the expense i.e ultimate day of thrills (mainly bc it excludes AK).. I don't begrudge anyone an Illuminations dessert party just because I have no interest in it lol. I hope all attendees have fun.

I was speaking primarily of the dessert parties. They were okay, but I wouldn't do them again. However, I've done several of the tours and don't have a problem doing some of them again, especially Wild Africa Trek.

21stamps

I was speaking primarily of the dessert parties. They were okay, but I wouldn't do them again. However, I've done several of the tours and don't have a problem doing some of them again, especially Wild Africa Trek.

I'm still undecided on the Holiday Wishes dessert party this year.. tried like heck to get it last year.. was sold out every party night of my trip.. then I was kind of glad after reading reviews in my FB trip group.. they all enjoyed it, but it takes up a large chunk of the party.. not sure if I want to commit that much time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You only see shops and cafes on that list?

I see a list padded by shops and cafés because we've been through this many times in other threads: DHS isn't down by a dozen attractions because of construction. Of things that are signficant, a show, a ride, and a playground were demolished. DHS has since added more shows than what was lost (and more M&Gs than what was lost). Everywhere else in the park where an attraction has been shut down in the past three years has been replaced with a different attraction. And several attractions have been upgraded. So, they're down in rides but up in shows.

But when you pad your 'lost' list with shops and cafés, you're making Fake News.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Isn't the point of nearly every business (and as a result, just about every employee) to try and increase profits and profit margins? It's so odd how it's spoken about in such negative, dark terms when it's the whole point. Now, the how is a big factor here. Every company wants to make a profit, but how they go about doing it will determine if people are repeat buyers (or visitors in this case) or fall into the one-and-done category.

So far, it seems like Disney has made some missteps, but the majority of those offerings have been well received and the overall numbers prove it isn't turning as many people away as many around here would hope.

Everything involved in Disney World is a choice, from visiting a park to seeing a movie. If you don't like it, don't go. But, if the masses do attend, like it and the company makes money, it seems kind of silly to bemoan a business acting like a business.
The quest for short term profit is hurting the company for the long term. Disney used to be above a lot of the tactics in place now, such as the up-charge everything mentality.

When I get to Epcot on a typical day, around 30% of the tap styles are open. Why not all of them? It is deemed too expensive for labor and the guests can just stand in a long line and wait.

When I want to check out at World of Disney in Disney Springs, there are only half of the available registers open. Why? Because in the quest for cutting costs, they are not staffed at the right level, and instead the guests can just wait.

This is the situation that is happening all across property, and along with the desire to up-charge everything, it will eventually hit guests that Disney is far from the premium experience they once had, and are expected to be paying for.

But anyway, I'm getting off topic :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I donr mind up charge events for new unique experiences. Disney does need to work on quite a few things organically that impact people. For example, I have to plan dining 180 out anf FP 90 days out, coordinating both to maximize and be efficient. When the day of your scheduled FP the attraction goes down, simply switching to a multi experience FP does jack crap to make your experience better, especially when you limit what you can use it on (not Frozen, not Pan, nothing Pandora, not TSMWM, etc). You have not helped your customer stay on track. I used to give Disney a pass for weather causing an attraction to go down, but you know what? Disney knows it rains in Florida. Why in the world are they developing attractions that go down when it rains (test track, 7d, etc).

Rodan75

The Fastpasses for the MK fireworks (now a dessert party)
The Fastpasses for the Festival of Fantasy Parade (now a dining package)
Viewing the MK fireworks from the CR deck on certain nights (now taken up with the monorail party)

I'm sure I will think of more!

That is simply not true. The dessert party existed before FP+. They cancelled fastpasses in general for parades and fireworks.

21stamps

I donr mind up charge events for new unique experiences. Disney does need to work on quite a few things organically that impact people. For example, I have to plan dining 180 out anf FP 90 days out, coordinating both to maximize and be efficient. When the day of your scheduled FP the attraction goes down, simply switching to a multi experience FP does jack crap to make your experience better, especially when you limit what you can use it on (not Frozen, not Pan, nothing Pandora, not TSMWM, etc). You have not helped your customer stay on track. I used to give Disney a pass for weather causing an attraction to go down, but you know what? Disney knows it rains in Florida. Why in the world are they developing attractions that go down when it rains (test track, 7d, etc).

I was at an amusement park yesterday.. two rides were down for most of the evening. I was stuck next to a group while at a restaurant who were cursing and more cursing over their fast lane pass being a "waste of 150 dollars per person". They were furious. I think the park protects themself in their terms and conditions. It would totally stink to have that happen at WDW or any amusement park.

peter11435

If your Fastpass was for one of the attractions that you listed then you are not restricted from using it there. I really don't see how that doesn't help you. If you have a Fastpass for space mountain and it goes down you can use it at space mountain anytime once it reopens or if you don't want to wait for it to reopen you can use it nearly anywhere else. Only Mine train and Peter Pan are excluded. And if your Fastpass was for one of those two attractions then you would be able to use it at that attraction when it reopened.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Bingo. WDW discontinued SWW because half of the park would be undergoing renovations. Can you imagine what SWW 2016 would have been like after The Force Awaken came out? Or 2017 after Rogue One?

That argument holds true only if capacity is unlimited.

If half of the park is closed due to renovation, the capacity of the park is adjusted accordingly. The Studios would then reach capacity during Star Wars Weekends and no further guests would be admitted. Problem solved.

Lets Respect

That is simply not true. The dessert party existed before FP+. They cancelled fastpasses in general for parades and fireworks.

No the original dessert party was on the terrace. Now they have two dessert parties. One on the terrace, one on the Hub. Totally different events

Biff215

Not all upcharges have to be bad, but if this is true as reported, it doesn't sound like unique events like Harambe Nights would fit the description. It seems like it would entail more special seats, viewing areas, and dessert parties for current offerings. While they may not affect me personally if I choose not to participate, I do believe the long term effect could be damaging to the Disney brand. It may take many years to see it, but I also hope I'm wrong.

Kman101

I personally see no issues with their dessert parties and I think a lot of the offerings at AK, like Caring for Giants (I think that's the name?) and the Wild Africa Trek are more than worthy offerings. Those things aren't really what people complain about, for the most part. I'd personally love to do those two tours but just haven't made the time or put aside the money.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I personally see no issues with their dessert parties and I think a lot of the offerings at AK, like Caring for Giants (I think that's the name?) and the Wild Africa Trek are more than worthy offerings. Those things aren't really what people complain about, for the most part. I'd personally love to do those two tours but just haven't made the time or put aside the money.
IMO Wild Africa Trek represents the best of Disney. It is such a wonderful immersive activity. We have some several specialty events and this one is by far our favorite for both value and overall experience.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If your Fastpass was for one of the attractions that you listed then you are not restricted from using it there. I really don't see how that doesn't help you. If you have a Fastpass for space mountain and it goes down you can use it at space mountain anytime once it reopens or if you don't want to wait for it to reopen you can use it nearly anywhere else. Only Mine train and Peter Pan are excluded. And if your Fastpass was for one of those two attractions then you would be able to use it at that attraction when it reopened.
I dont think you get where I was going with that.

Casper Gutman

Upcharges in and of themselves, as you say, are not the issue. WDW has always had them - MVMCP, NSSHP, backstage tours, the old late nights in the park. But those were reasonably priced, appeared to provide value, and didn't interfere with the guest experience.

But there is a line. Its different for everyone, but it exists for (almost) everyone. And when you cross that line, you look desperate and greedy. Guests feel like the park is nickle-and-diming them, is focusing more on upcharges then upkeep, is essentially holding them upside down and shaking until every penny is gone. All this is exacerbated by the wild increases in ticket prices and hotel rates. And when you cross that line for enough guests, it hurts the long term health of the company.

Its also an issue on the level of management philosophy - when upcharges become THE point, as they now have, rather then a minor aspect of management, there's a big problem.

Back in the day, extra time in the parks after hours cost what - 35$? And the crowds were tiny. Now - how much are folks paying for desert parties?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom