Expect more premium events with recent organizational changes

jt04

They seem to pop the upsell experiences up overnight with a new one being announced seemingly every week any more. I'd like to see more small things added to the core experience on a more frequent basis. You know, things that don't require closing other attractions and don't take the better part of a decade to complete.

I agree. Also, I think they throw so many new offerings out there to test popularity. Then they stick with those IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As long as they don't make Club 33 or buying soda in the parking lot mandatory than I don't see a problem giving guests more choices.

The problem can be that if these upcharges work then there is less incentive for Disney to invest in additions that directly benefit all guests. They also need to be careful of up charges that in some way negatively impact the guests who are not participating.

Note that I am not opposed to all upcharges, I have personally done and enjoyed the Star Wars desert party.

wdizneew

I agree. Also, I think they throw so many new offerings out there to test popularity. Then they stick with those IMO.

Anyone remember that Disney After Hours ticket?

$149 for 3 extra hours in the park including ice cream and bottled drinks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a right way to do this and a wrong way. Offering unique experience which enhance a trip while at the same time not detracting from the normal ticket is the right way. The wrong way is basically the opposite, with more "basic" amenities suddenly upcharged.

Disney is choosing the path which includes charging for what used to be included in admission

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Maybe there's more premium events on the horizon because the premium events seem to sell out quickly, and consistently.

Just a thought..

I'm all for having options.
Wait a second, because I want to be sure I understand what you're saying.

You think people might actually like new offerings and opportunities? So much so that they might be willing to pay actual United States dollars to experience them? And, further, that Disney might want to offer more of these opportunities as a way to get more of these United States dollars?

I don't know, seems like a stretch.

21stamps

Wait a second, because I want to be sure I understand what you're saying.

You think people might actually like new offerings and opportunities? So much so that they might be willing to pay actual United States dollars to experience them? And, further, that Disney might want to offer more of these opportunities as a way to get more of these United States dollars?

I don't know, seems like a stretch.

Crazy, right? I can't say for sure..but it appears that (some/a lot) of people like things such as premium parking, fast lane passes at amusement parks, VIP seating, special events, box seats at a sports game.. the ability to do something "different" while at Disney World..

Ya know, things that one can CHOOSE to enhance their experience IF
A. They're interested in the experience.
B. They see value in the experience.

If not-- then they can CHOOSE to not participate in the experience.

Doesn't really sound too complicated..but..lol

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Crazy, right? I can't say for sure..but it appears that (some/a lot) of people like things such as premium parking, fast lane passes at amusement parks, VIP seating, special events, box seats at a sports game.. the ability to do something "different" while at Disney World..

The point is, things were previously offered as part of a regular admission are now being charged for as an up-charge event.

Everything that was in Star Wars Galactic Nights was previously included with regular park admission. Once it became a premium experience, it was charged at $130.

Yes everyone can choose, but the point is, Disney is intent on driving short term profits, and to do that, they are increasing guest spending in any way they can, which in many cases takes value away from the guest.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Yeah I really don't understand the mindset of the people who get offended that these things are offered as if they're impacted in some way. I think some of the things are amazing (Behind the Seeds, Wild Africa Trek, fireworks cruises) and other things I'd never even consider (desert parties, early morning magic, Victoria & Albert's), but I don't begrudge Disney just for offering them, nor do I tut-tut at those who disagree with me on what's valuable to them.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
As long as they don't make Club 33 or buying soda in the parking lot mandatory than I don't see a problem giving guests more choices.
When those experiences take away from what you could previously do you should be seeing a problem.

Club 33 is likely going into existing spaces, which will make those spaces unavailable for regular guests.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think some of the things are amazing (Behind the Seeds, Wild Africa Trek, fireworks cruises)
Those you have highlighted there were done at a time when it wasn't profit ahead of everything else, and it shows. They are quality experiences that really offer something great for the guest. What we are seeing now, and will see more of, is just pure money-grab.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Those you have highlighted there were done at a time when it wasn't profit ahead of everything else, and it shows. They are quality experiences that really offer something great for the guest. What we are seeing now, and will see more of, is just pure money-grab.
Except the entire concept of a "money-grab" is nonsense. Disney can't, by definition, "grab" your money. It's a voluntary exchange. In order to GET the guest's money, Disney has to GIVE the guest something they want. It's a mutually beneficial transaction.

Guest who participates - Has a new experience (positive for the guest)
Disney - Makes more money (positive for Disney)
Guest who does not participate - Literally nothing happens (neutral)

So these offerings are positive to two parties and neutral to everyone else. Meaning there's literally nothing negative to complain about.

rob0519

Any decline could have multiple causes; less international visitors, waiting for Pandora or Star Wars or simple economics of WDW's continual price increases. We used to go twice a year for 5-7 days from about 1996-2003. As the prices rose we cut down to one 5-7 day visit every 12 to 18 months from 2004-2013. We have not visited once since 2013 based on what we feel is no longer a good return on prices charged (onsite lodging, food, merchandise, enjoyability of the parks due to over crowding etc.). I'm sure we're not the only family that are no longer regular customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom