Expect more premium events with recent organizational changes

21stamps

That's worse than Easter. ;)
Shut up! I'm not canceling that. Kid has been asking to go during Snowland for 3 years.. every year I check prices, then after pulling my jaw off the floor, I click off the website in disgust.lol. We are doing it this year only bc of the 50% discount (bonus holiday pricing hasn't been released so it was cheaper to begin with) Anyway, this will be a one and done. Never again.

This is also our last year for Disney for a few years. So you all won't have to deal with me barging in on these threads anymore. ;) ha ha

21stamps

I took 2017 off from Disney, and I'm still here causing trouble. :angelic:
Ha ha.

No, after our upcoming trip, and the 3 months it will take me to write my trip report.. I'm going to take a hiatus from this forum.. I don't want anything to persuade me to book a trip in 2018.. I don't know if I can take a break from FB too though..lol. My friends and fam almost all go every year, but one family says this is their last until SWL as well.. I'm planning on leaning on them when I need support ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think you can say that close to half the park that was there in 2015 is no longer there:

DCiN9MoXoAEtBqd.jpg:large

Don't confuse land area with the number of attractions. Look at that photo. Now, list all the attractions that were in that space:

1. Back Lot Tour (which closed a year earlier and was no longer a tour of active filming)
2. Lights, Motor, Action
3. a playground​

And that's it. Is that list half the park? Streets of America was an area, don't know anyone would call it an 'attraction'. The flex Theater wasn't really being used (last time was for the temporary site of the Frozen singalong). Then there was a QS and some kiosks. Who's crying over a cafeteria?

So much of that space was dead space: They had alreadyclosed Back Lot Tour and demo'd an actual back lot and SoA.

Since the construction, WDW has added:

1. Star Wars fireworks (and let's point out how big a deal a nightly f.w. show is)
2. More M&Gs than were lost.
3. 2 Star Wars hub shows with multiple showtimes.
4. Pixar Concert
5. Disney Movie projection show
6. Christmas projection/f.w. show (now in addition to the SW f.w., and not replacing it)
7. Upgrades to: TSMM, Jedi Academy​

Anything else that was closed was replaced: Millionaire -> TSM; Idol -> Frozen singalong; Animation Academy -> Launch Bay

So, while half the acreage may be under construction, any claim that half the attractions are gone are false.

Now, if you want to count just 'rides', then when Back Lot Tour closed, DHS went from 6 to 5. The massive construction didn't touch any other 'rides.' When TGMR closes, then DHS will go down to 4 rides. (Note: 4 is not half of 6.) In nine months after TGMR closes, then TSL will open, and the number of rides will be 6. And a year later when SWL and the Mickey Ride open, the number of rides will be 9.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If Disney is just giving people what they want or are willing to pay for, how long until they rope off the hub and parts of Main Street and sell them as "premium viewing areas" for HEA? That way, those willing to pay for it don't have to stake out their viewing spot hours in advance and have to deal with the unwashed hordes who descend upon the hub looking for a viewing spot 15 minutes prior to showtime.

• Tier 1 pricing would be the premium dessert party, where regular guests used to be able to sit and watch the nightly fireworks
  • Tier 2 pricing would be this new premium offering, where regular guests used to be able to stand and watch the nightly fireworks
  • The "free" option would be for regular guests unwilling to pay and they would be relegated to viewing HEA from a distance, sides, etc.
And that would be OK because Disney is simply selling something people are willing to pay for, right? I mean, as long as you disregard the fact that it would be another thing that would be taken away from regular guests, of course. Because as we all know, Disney's taken NOTHING away from regular guests over the years and now charge for it (Wishes/HEA fireworks seating area, Illuminations seating area, as two examples that have already been pointed out and ignored).

21stamps

I wish I could remember the name of the poster.. he's a long time member.. anyway, he's posted, in several threads, the list of what was open in 2015 vs 2016/17.

It's not half of what was there before.

I preferred HS in 2016 vs 2015. That's personal, sure. But regardless, there definitely wasn't "half" available to us as what was available the year before.

@jakeman and @Bocabear below is the person I was referring to. Couldn't remember @MisterPenguin's name

Don't confuse land area with the number of attractions. Look at that photo. Now, list all the attractions that were in that space:

1. Back Lot Tour (which closed a year earlier and was no longer a tour of active filming)
2. Lights, Motor, Action
3. a playground​

And that's it. Is that list half the park? Streets of America was an area, don't know anyone would call it an 'attraction'. The flex Theater wasn't really being used (last time was for the temporary site of the Frozen singalong). Then there was a QS and some kiosks. Who's crying over a cafeteria?

So much of that space was dead space: They had alreadyclosed Back Lot Tour and demo'd an actual back lot and SoA.

1. Star Wars fireworks (and let's point out how big a deal a nightly f.w. show is)
4. Pixar Concert
6. Christmas projection/f.w. show (now in addition to the SW f.w., and not replacing it)

Anything else that was closed was replaced: Millionaire -> TSM; Idol -> Frozen singalong; Animation Academy -> Launch Bay

So, while half the acreage may be under construction, any claim that half the attractions are gone are false.

Now, if you want to count just 'rides', then when Back Lot Tour closed, DHS went from 6 to 5. The massive construction didn't touch any other 'rides.' When TGMR closes, then DHS will go down to 4 rides. (Note: 4 is not half of 6.) In nine months after TGMR closes, then TSL will open, and the number of rides will be 6. And a year later when SWL and the Mickey Ride open, the number of rides will be 9.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If you're ok with the MK being closed for 4 nights during your vacation, by all means go to WDW in December. We used to go every year to enjoy all the holiday decorations, events, etc., but we enjoy the MK too much. So we're done.

So did we, I miss visiting very much, I don't however miss the 'what has TDO cut for this trip' experience however.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Shut up! I'm not canceling that. Kid has been asking to go during Snowland for 3 years.. every year I check prices, then after pulling my jaw off the floor, I click off the website in disgust.lol. We are doing it this year only bc of the 50% discount (bonus holiday pricing hasn't been released so it was cheaper to begin with) Anyway, this will be a one and done. Never again.

This is also our last year for Disney for a few years. So you all won't have to deal with me barging in on these threads anymore. ;) ha ha

You are fine, It's people with differing viewpoints which make the world an interesting place.

jakeman

2. Lights, Motor, Action
3. a playground​

4. Pixar Concert

Half of DHS is gone but it was a show and a tram tour. Everything else is still there
That's kind of the point I was making. Not attractions, just physical space.

I wouldn't find DHS worth the price of a one day admission, but I never really did and I know that's just my opinion.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Disney is just giving people what they want or are willing to pay for, how long until they rope off the hub and parts of Main Street and sell them as "premium viewing areas" for HEA? That way, those willing to pay for it don't have to stake out their viewing spot hours in advance and have to deal with the unwashed hordes who descend upon the hub looking for a viewing spot 15 minutes prior to showtime.

• Tier 1 pricing would be the premium dessert party, where regular guests used to be able to sit and watch the nightly fireworks
  • Tier 2 pricing would be this new premium offering, where regular guests used to be able to stand and watch the nightly fireworks
  • The "free" option would be for regular guests unwilling to pay and they would be relegated to viewing HEA from a distance, sides, etc.
And that would be OK because Disney is simply selling something people are willing to pay for, right? I mean, as long as you disregard the fact that it would be another thing that would be taken away from regular guests, of course. Because as we all know, Disney's taken NOTHING away from regular guests over the years and now charge for it (Wishes/HEA fireworks seating area, Illuminations seating area, as two examples that have already been pointed out and ignored).

Under current management its only a matter of time before this becomes reality

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom