A Spirited Valentine ...

seascape

How the heck is DHS still out performing DCA? Yeesh.
The 30,000 hotel rooms and guests. The real question is why will it still out draw both Universal parks in 2017? Disney's dimestic parks attendance per quaterly conference call were up 4% in the first quarter (2nd qtr for Disney physical year) Given the success of Pandora, the summer will also be up several percent this year. Shanghi will be up too but in reality the 6 million increase they should get will mostly be due to full year of operations. Don't be shocked if the increase listed on next years report has a total increase for Disney attendance being over 10 million.

Bob Harlem

And the numbers are as fabricated as they have ever been! Those numbers will never be close to accurate, no matter what park.

It's estimates, i don't think they are fabricating, but they are going on what they have. What parks do folks think are over/under reported?

the.dreamfinder

What does AECOM gain by fabricating numbers?
Misleading≠Fabricated

Since this is our annual conversation, here's how these figures can be misleading.
  1. "First Click"- park attendance is based on the first park a guests visits in a day. If you visit DHS, finish up before lunch and leave for Epcot, DHS gets your click added to their tally. TDO and Burbank's concerns about DHS stem primarily from guest spending and time spent in the park. That's why capacity hasn't been the concern it should be with the expansion, which is more of a replacement project.
  2. "Hard Ticket" Events- Admissions for Mickey's Halloween and Christmas parties at the MK and the new Halloween party at DL are counted as first clicks. Doesn't matter if you've been at the MK all day, a MNSHP or MVMCP is a new admission. Taking this into consideration, the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland's attendance figures are lower.
EDIT: Added mention of DL's new hard ticket event in 2016

Last edited:

UpAllNight

On a Uk park hopper ticket we popped over to Studios after Blizzard Beach, did our 3 fast passes then left, would we count in the attendance for the day? As we hadn't technically visited a theme park that day prior. I think there's a lot of park hopping that goes on, and studios, being a third of a day park if you don't do the shows, will be the main beneficiary of park hopping.

lazyboy97o

Misleading≠Fabricated

Since this is our annual conversation, here's how these figures can be misleading.
  1. "First Click"- park attendance is based on the first park a guests visits in a day. If you visit DHS, finish up before lunch and leave for Epcot, DHS gets your click added to their tally. TDO and Burbank's concerns about DHS stem primarily from guest spending and time spent in the park. That's why capacity hasn't been the concern it should be with the expansion, which is more of a replacement project.
  2. "Hard Ticket" Events- Admissions for Mickey's Halloween and Christmas parties at the MK are counted as first clicks. Doesn't matter if you've been at the MK all day, a MNSHP or MVMCP is a new admission. Taking this into consideration, the Magic Kingdom is not the world's most popular theme park of 2016, Disneyland is because holiday events are included with admission, as do all the other castle parks.
Yes, these are how the numbers can differ but nobody ever seems to claim a familiarity with AECOM's methodology. There are also repeated accusations of fabrication without a solid motivation given.

Kman101

Disney's actual attendance details are never going to be public. But ask yourself this...do you really think, in its truncated state, DHS had an average of 30K guests per day in 2016? Because that's what this report is claiming.

LOL no way they did. Not that this is a totally accurate gauge but I was at DHS on the 18th, after 6, so of course crowds probably hauled butt, but the park was practically empty, nearly everything was walk on. It was really nice but I can't see how they attract 30K per day. I don't buy the numbers they release. I fully believe DCA, as it should, attracts more, I was just curious the real difference but I know they don't release that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, these are how the numbers can differ but nobody ever seems to claim a familiarity with AECOM's methodology. There are also repeated accusations of fabrication without a solid motivation given.

They address it themselves when they say (parapharsing) "we have to trust what they tell us" and state "In other words, over-reporting will eventually come to a point of correction. Our advice is to trust the process."

They play complacent because really what other alternative is there? They know they can't get the real data in a consistent manner, so they have to stick to their 'accept what data there is, and estimate the rest'.

Bairstow

If everyone doing the usual 4-6 day hopper vacation visits DHS at least once during their trip, but only stays for half a day (to do Midway 'Mania and Tower of Terror in the morning or visits in the evening for Fireworks and/or Fantasmic) the turnstile numbers would be high even if the park is half-empty all day. Of course, a half-empty park is still going to be pretty crowded when that park is half-closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom