A Spirited Valentine ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, who'd have thought 6 months ago the reception to Guardians of the Tower would go smoother than Volcano Bay?

I did. I did!

Disney has conditioned Guests to like whatever it shoves down their throats. Marvel is at the height of its popularity, which means there is only one way it can go ... the question is simply when it does. GotG is a popular franchise. The first movie was the definition of what a fun summer popcorn flick should be. The sequel, while not nearly as good, was still a fun romp. Disney has also been working with its BRAND advocates and influencers on getting the narrative out that the DCA ToT wasn't that good, wasn't that popular and shouldn't be missed. Just buy Baby Groot and Cosmo plush and toys. I read this narrative from fan Twitter to 'serious' bloggers to mainstream news reporters. That narrative was written in Burbank.

I really think Universal overcalled this one trying to co-launch against pretty much the biggest US Disney rollout since DCA 2.0 (including Pandora and Happily Ever After obviously). They absolutely rushed this in an attempt to grab the lime light, the park should have opened in June following proper softs.

You don't open a park, any park, on the first holiday weekend of summer with no soft openings and no test and adjust. You just don't. UNI was trying to steal some of the limelight and it backfired BIGLY. And I think you're going to be reading and hearing some horror stories as May turns to June. The park wasn't ready. You can blame Disney for taking six and a half years and some obscene number of dollars to open Pandora, but you can't criticise that they nailed the opening. God, I can't wait for the hate in the Twitverse on this. Woodbury, Williams, Davis and Company need to seriously rethink how they operate or, better yet, find new employment.

BTW, anyone at all want to comment on how Tom Staggs and Meg Crofton were whitewashed from the Pandora opening completely? You wanna argue that Disney isn't an ugly, cutthroat operation? C'mon, there has to be someone ...

Both companies have a serious fanbase issues, in my opinion. The Disney fanbase is critically irate and the Universal one too pixie dust fuelled, expectations for both would be better served somewhere in the middle.

Fans are generally nuts. Fans today with the Internet and the ability to be heard by lots of others ... so much worse. Both companies are doing a lot right now ... finally. But I like more of what I see from Disney and it has been a very long time since I could say that.

I know forgiveness need always be applied to grand openings, but it sounds like this was a cluster, whereas Disney's near disaster Shanghai launched almost too smoothly. The park does look quite good, but the opening is bad PR. I guess we'll see how Pandora goes with the public...

No, I disagree. I don't for a second believe openings have to be disasters. Heck, I've been to two park openings at WDW and multiple attraction openings and none were disasters. Shanghai's opening was very carefully crafted. Attractions that were not ready opened ... but a few days later, when media left, closed. Lots of down time. ... It sure seems like Pandora's opening was a total success. The question now is how it will operationally function this summer and how (or if) it changes WDW visitation habits.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is the one project I wouldn't be worried about. The insiders that are far more willing to be critical are still positive on it. Beijing on the other hand...

I have no worries about Nintendo whatsoever. And I may have seen plans for the entire area ... Beijing is ... how do the kids say it? A cluster cluck. But just like with SDL, only a few people (like myself will say it and give examples where and when we can) and it will all be ignored for a few more years until we get close to opening.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I ... kinda think that.

I got an offer to be someone's "+1" to the media event. The group doing the invite asked me not to write anything bad about Pandora, because they didn't want to jeopardize future access. So I'm reasonably sure that everyone understands the quid pro quo that comes with media events.

One of the groups who got into Pandora first shared with me the details of how Disney PR negotiated the coverage in exchange for access (allegedly). It was exceptionally specific (allegedly). The subject of the story was chosen by Disney (allegedly). Specific comparisons to specific Universal attractions were to be made (allegedly). Key words were suggested (allegedly). That sort of thing (allegedly).

I don't think Disney would try that with, you know, the NY Times. But an organization that's heavily dependent on Disney / special access for revenue?

Hahaha! And you didn't know this? You somehow missed that your podcasting pal gets invites to things precisely because he never says a truly bad thing about either company anymore? That he is a de facto social media rep for BOTH companies. ... See, I don't believe people with ethics play Disney's game. Or UNI's. They go on their own dime when they can get in, just like the peons. And they offer an honest opinion based on everything, including cost.

I'm curious though, you went to this event, right? Is there anything about Pandora you're critical of? Or are you not allowed to say.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wish I could provide a simplistic, pat answer but the reality is that no one knows for certain. If someone did, then that person should be running the company!

As @seascape writes, the best way to do this is to "invest in things that will make more money" but it's unclear to Wall Street what these things might be. Since Wall Street does not like uncertainty, they prefer Disney leadership that spends billions every year on stock buybacks.

Corporate Disney is in a bit of a pickle. They already have made the acquisitions that make the most financial sense while Iger & Co. lack the creative genius of Walt Disney or even Michael Eisner to identify organic growth opportunities. Frankly, corporate Disney has gone overboard with film sequels and theme park tie-ins and is out of creative ideas.

Nothing to add. Just frankly agree 100% with everything you wrote ... most especially the last four words.

Kman101

You are the first person I have heard say anything good about Fallon. ... The fact Jason Surrell was part of it is enough for me to steer clear.

It was fun for one ride, but incredibly dumb. It's not a good attraction though and Surrell's involvement, well now it makes sense. And they did do a nice job on the interior, I'll at least give them that. I'm not really a Fallon fan at all (I think he tries too hard). I had very very low expectations going into it so "better than I expected" wasn't necessarily the highest compliment LOL. I still don't understand, besides, you know, corporate synergy, that this thing got pushed through and built.

rioriz

Nothing to add. Just frankly agree 100% with everything you wrote ... most especially the last four words.

I think your recent, albiet not underserved, praise of Disney....and previously, deserved criticism, of Disney....vice versa for Uni goes to show your unbias. Also shows what goes around will eventually come around

Thanks as always for the input

VJ

BTW, anyone at all want to comment on how Tom Staggs and Meg Crofton were whitewashed from the Pandora opening completely? You wanna argue that Disney isn't an ugly, cutthroat operation? C'mon, there has to be someone ...
Did you hear (you probably have) that Tom (and possibly others?) was literally photoshopped out of the famed "shovels and giant blue man" groundbreaking picture as it appears in Pandora? Thought that was especially slimy and, honestly, unnecessary.

HMF

Did you hear (you probably have) that Tom (and possibly others?) was literally photoshopped out of the famed "shovels and giant blue man" groundbreaking picture as it appears in Pandora? Thought that was especially slimy and, honestly, unnecessary.
I agree it's unnecessary but lets not forget he along with the puckish gladhandler did send over 2 billion dollars into a black hole and got little in return. I am not shocked Iger wants us to forget about him

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Maybe legally they cannot be in any further published disney marketing images. Since they no longer work for the company. I don't know whether this is true. Just throwing it out there.

the.dreamfinder

Tom, Bruce Vaughn and Meg Crofton were replaced in the photo, which is at Satu'li Canteen.
0F449656-34C2-4F7F-87C6-51635D348B81.jpg

asianway

No one should have to look at Meg Crofton when they're eating food.
I approve heartily of this photo shop on all three counts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom