A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think there is a whole lot of hyperbole going around with this one - mainly because no one outside of a few people on a message board even know who the hell these people are enough to care.

In any case, this is not a news photo reporting an event, it's a promotional picture created by a company. Huge, huge difference.

A company which just happens to own one of the four major broadcast networks, This is not the owner of Joe's Bar and Grill photoshopping himself into photos of celebrities which is tasteless but harmless.

I trust you understand the difference the decision to do this was done by the executive leadership of TWDC, Who happen to be the SAME executive leadership of the ABC network.

This was NOT a intern fixing an executive's bad rug in photoshop, This was a deliberate falsification of a photograph taken at a significant event. So with this why should I trust a single photo coming out of ABC Network or TWDC ?

Astro Blaster

I found the original photo on another site (Inside the magic) - and compared it to the one posted earlier today...
full
That's just weird.

Disney Analyst

Let's talk entertainment for the 25th Anniversary at DLP.

A mixed bag to be sure.

Let's start with the daytime stuff and the sorta/kinda/mostly new Stars on Parade. Like most of the 25th, it feels quite cobbled together. Like the brief was "We need a new parade for the 25th, what can you do for $30,421.87?" No, it isn't bad. The music is catchy. The performers are into it. The floats are big and vibrant but ... again, what exactly is the theme ... the story ... the thing that ties it into a cohesive product? Missing in action.

Part of it might be that two great floats (Lion King and Peter Pan) came from TDL's wonderful Jubilation parade, so they are only new to this park, to this audience. Part might be that the styles are so different. The opening one with Mickey and Company is sorta steampunkish and later we have the fire-breathing dragon from MK's FoF parade. They go together. But the others ... especially the plastic Toy Story float or the Frozen finale with a scary looking Olaf attempting to straddle Sven have nothing in common with them or with the old Tokyo floats. Some people might say I'm overthinking it. But I've seen countless Disney parades across the globe over the decades and I know what works. This one gets by on lovely floats and a peppy soundtrack, but not on any sense of being.

There's also a stage show at the castle (nice to see this venue finally used) called "Mickey Celebrates Disneyland's Anniversary" that harkens back to the old shows that used to play at the MK and even recall TDL's seemingly never-ending One Man's Dream II show. The premise is simple, the Big Cheese is celebrating DLP's 25th by taking you on a musical review of the lands largely based on costumes and changing hats on stage. The show is nice, but short. Again, you get the feeling they wanted to do a 24-minute show and were told "Yeah, do it in 12 instead." So, the show feels short and rushed. And having Buzz Lightyear, the Mad Hatter and Duffy on stage, but no Minnie or Ducks just seemed so wrong. But Goofy's brat makes an appearance and it would seem he is quite popular with people who were kids roughly between 1984 and 2000 for some reason. And the show actually incorporates the fountains added for Illuminations (no Reflections of Earth), which is a plus.

There also is a Princess Waltz on the same stage that loosely is tied into the 25th, but we ignored that. It seemed like very small scale in scope and audience.

Beyond lots of blue and white and silver decor, that's largely it for 25th entertainment (like 25th gift bags in shops, it just isn't all that much) ... maybe Disney Blogger to the Stars, @WDWFigment will drop in with his thoughts as one of the only bloggers I have respect for.

Am I leaving anything out? Lemme think ... oh yeah, there's that new castle projection, pyro and fountain show, Illuminations: Not Reflections of Earth. I saw the show three times just for all of you ... or maybe I just liked being in DLP so late (I've been there at the same time of year before and had the parks close at 6, 7 and 8 p.m. ... when darkness doesn't fully come until after 10).

I will describe it as I described it to my beloved Angie. "That was one jumbled mess, but what an impressive mess it was.*

Now, seven years after the start of World of Color and The MAGIC, The Memories and YOU!, we have had what seems like an endless flow of these type of shows. Some beloved, some not so much. Disney Dreams, the DLP predecessor was much loved by regulars and with good reason. It actually told a story. Used Peter Pan as the major hook (pun intended) and had properties represented that are not the same overused dozen.

I loved Dreams.

I didn't love Illuminations. But I was wowed by it.

Again, it is a cobbled together show. I'd have to do a scene by scene comparison, but I believe a good 85-90% is simply lifted from SDL's opening show, Ignite the Dream. That show was crafted to showcase Disney's top current IP, and that used in the park, to an audience that may or may not have been familiar with it. DLP was looking for a celebration show of its 25th Anniversary. It didn't get that. It got an impressive mess.

The beginning and especially the Lion King scenes are simply spectacular. But the more the show goes on, the more it drifts. The last four sections are based on the Pirates film series, Frozen (including two songs, one of course being Let It Go!), the live action Beauty and the Beast and Star Wars. The projections are the best I've seen (no, I have not seen the new show in the swamps yet). The use of not only fountains, but lasers and color-changing LEDs in the trees (not chopped down) in the Hub make each scene jump as a wow. But it's sorta like the typical Cirque show. You get tired of applauding for every act, while no real story is going on. If you want to see Disney film scenes, almost entirely of the overused (like Little Mermaid) variety on an amazing tapestry with no ties between scenes, then this is the show for you. It is a technical tour de force, but has as much emotional heart as Bob Iger standing at a teleprompter while scenes from his favourite IP blast on screens behind him. Because of this, I'm not making Ignite the Dream such a priority in Shanghai, although I want to see how the locals react.

That's really the tale of 25th entertainment. They added things like something called a First Order March to WDSP that I am reasonably sure happens in the swamps too. There are a few extra and new meet-greet-and-gropes. Captain Jack over where Cinemagique was. Darth Vader in the old Star Tours merchandise location (always listed as a 10-minute wait). ... But the whole thing felt very cobbled together, very much of the we have to do something variety. And, overall, it is quality. Absolutely. It just isn't what one would expect or hope for on a significant anniversary.

Anyway, that is that ... next time, I'll discuss merchandise ... and then operations, which will include food and beverage.

Did you see Mickey and the Magician?

Mike S

I have no worries about Nintendo whatsoever. And I may have seen plans for the entire area ... Beijing is ... how do the kids say it? A cluster cluck. But just like with SDL, only a few people (like myself will say it and give examples where and when we can) and it will all be ignored for a few more years until we get close to opening.
Thanks for that. It calms me greatly :happy: Do you feel the same for the Forbidden Forest project replacing Dragon Challenge?

I'm guessing Beijing is the cluster cluck. Ah well. The way Universal does things I'd expect the biggest most unique thing there to eventually come to Florida anyway. USH is really the only Uni park I would want to visit and it's for the Studio Tour.

AEfx

This was NOT a intern fixing an executive's bad rug in photoshop, This was a deliberate falsification of a photograph taken at a significant event. So with this why should I trust a single photo coming out of ABC Network or TWDC ?

LOL, you make it sound like they were in on faking the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

In any case, I guess I'm just surprised that this is what puts you over the edge in trusting a major media corporation or a mainstream media outlet. Personally, it doesn't really surprise me so I don't have the "shock" factor - I just look at it as what it is, a picture no one really cares about at an "event" that is pretty meaningless. I see why if you thought this type of thing was somehow rare it might seem very shocking, which might be why you are seeing it as the fall of western civilization, LOL.

AEfx

They literally photoshopped in different people? That really is low.

What in the hell are people talking about? The same people are in both pictures. They clearly cleaned up that guys hair, and there was digital processing to make the Navi more convincing, but now that I see what all the fuss is about, I think you've all done lost your minds, LOL. This is a processed promo pic, just like any other processed promo pic from the parks. Since there seem to be multiple shots out there in slightly different positions, they may very well have mixed them digitally - again, very common practice in a promo pic like this.

#FAKENEWS

lentesta

Premium Member
I d
Hahaha! And you didn't know this? You somehow missed that your podcasting pal gets invites to things precisely because he never says a truly bad thing about either company anymore? That he is a de facto social media rep for BOTH companies. ... See, I don't believe people with ethics play Disney's game. Or UNI's. They go on their own dime when they can get in, just like the peons.

I'm curious though, you went to this event, right? Is there anything about Pandora you're critical of? Or are you not allowed to say.

Didn't go, of course. Called Pandora visually beautiful, with rides that have no emotional connection. Gave them 3.5 and 4.0 stars out of 5.
Hahaha! And you didn't know this? You somehow missed that your podcasting pal gets invites to things precisely because he never says a truly bad thing about either company anymore? That he is a de facto social media rep for BOTH companies. ... See, I don't believe people with ethics play Disney's game. Or UNI's. They go on their own dime when they can get in, just like the peons. And they offer an honest opinion based on everything, including cost.

I'm curious though, you went to this event, right? Is there anything about Pandora you're critical of? Or are you not allowed to say.

Didn't go to the event. Review of Pandora for you to read. And our criticism of Disney and cost gets quoted quite a bit.

As for "ethics", and "honesty", aren't you the anonymous internet guy who posts court records of people you don't like?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
LOL, you make it sound like they were in on faking the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

In any case, I guess I'm just surprised that this is what puts you over the edge in trusting a major media corporation or a mainstream media outlet. Personally, it doesn't really surprise me so I don't have the "shock" factor - I just look at it as what it is, a picture no one really cares about at an "event" that is pretty meaningless. I see why if you thought this type of thing was somehow rare it might seem very shocking, which might be why you are seeing it as the fall of western civilization, LOL.

I don't trust ANY major media corporation except perhaps the BBC, FT and IBD these days,

I do think the media corporations need to be called out ANY time they manipulate a photograph like making a black person darker so they look 'more threatening', Heck Tiger Woods mugshot when he was busted for DWI this weekend was altered when it was printed . http://nypost.com/2017/05/30/why-espn-used-photoshopped-tiger-woods-mug-shot/ When you are pulling that kind of stunt it's no longer news it's propaganda ot the worst order and frankly Orwellian and just to make it even more of a indictment of Disney's propaganda machine it was ESPN who photoshopped Tiger's mugshot. That tells us that Disney thinks at the highest level that editing photos to fit the narrative of the day is a approved practice so how as consumers of news can we trust Disney to report anything accurately.

As to my reasoning when you alter a photographic record of a REAL event the lines between reality and narrative fantasy become increasingly blurred.

Back in the days of film photojournalists used to trim the negative carrier in the enlarger so it showed the perforations in the 35mm film they did this to show that the image was 'unaltered' and therefore trustworthy.

We are getting to 'Wag The Dog' or 'Tomorrow Never Dies' levels of news manipulation here in the US. We are at the point of the old Soviet joke "There is no news in Pravda and no truth in Izvestia"

Herbie

PorterRedkey

Animaniac93-98

2016 TEA Annual Report is out.

Disneyland Parc dropped 14.2% (!), but the Studios next door only went down 1.6%. I wonder how much of that is due to France's overall tourism drop vs. "first gate" clicks from guests wanting to see Ratatouille?

Uni Hollywood went up almost 14% thanks to Potter, despite a jump in ticket prices.

HKDL went down 10.3%. I suspect an increase this year because of Iron Man.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom