Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

Oddysey

Everyone loves something new :) Much of the 'theory' arguments are ignored by people once they are in the heat of the moment.. and then it's just a personal experience if it works for them or not. The whole point of all the theory and design is not to exist upon itself, but to deliver on an end objective. You design a way hoping to deliver that objective as successfully with your target audience.

The duration sounds reasonable so far..
The ride/rider interaction is pretty unique for Orlando which is good for it..
The staging seems impressive

To me the question is how much does the motion+video make you forget where you really are.. and how engaging the actual 'trip' you make is. Soarin' is an example of an attraction that works almost solely because of the scale, visuals, and direction (last two being topics significantly hurt in the 2.0 version). Things you can't really replicate fully without doing it live and with everything working together.

I'm a little concerned the 'trip' may be a bit chaotic and so fast you kind of fall into superhero land (think spiderman swinging on webs instead of true speeds)... but I'm not judging yet. I've only watched some of the initial leaked videos and didn't really look at the full duration ones. No rush for me :)

IMO, it does not feel chaotic. The pacing is excellent, and while there are times that things are happening quickly, they are well-balanced by instances where you find yourself taking time to simply examine the beauty of Pandora. I really look forward to hearing your take on this after you get a chance to experience it. I hope you will post your own review.

WDWFigment

@WDWFigment has an excellent "spoiler free" review of Pandora and the two rides. I agree with it almost entirely. He's often very fair and balanced with his take on things. It's worth a read. http://www.disneytouristblog.com/pandora-world-avatar-spoiler-free-review/

Thanks for sharing. After a few more rides on Na'vi River Journey, I'm now less enthusiastic about it. Too many elements are static that could be engaging. It feels very 'by the book' in a design-sense: it's staged in a way that draws the rider's attention to specific elements in a particular scene with each reveal, which works on some attractions, but on a slow-moving boat ride, multiple areas of visual engagement per scene are necessary (IMO).

Perhaps the Shaman will be enough to redeem it for some guests, but I'm guessing that people who wait 45+ minutes this summer will leave disappointed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
IMO, it does not feel chaotic. The pacing is excellent, and while there are times that things are happening quickly, they are well-balanced by instances where you find yourself taking time to simply examine the beauty of Pandora. I really look forward to hearing your take on this after you get a chance to experience it. I hope you will post your own review.

Might be awhile. My stash of old tickets is basically expired now.. and paying full price for a single day on a biz trip is revolting enough I don't know if I could do it. I tried to talk the family into a trip this June but graduations, college, and generally life are making family trips so difficult these days. Still gotta work one in somewhere :)

Kman101

Thanks for sharing. After a few more rides on Na'vi River Journey, I'm now less enthusiastic about it. Too many elements are static that could be engaging. It feels very 'by the book' in a design-sense: it's staged in a way that draws the rider's attention to specific elements in a particular scene with each reveal, which works on some attractions, but on a slow-moving boat ride, multiple areas of visual engagement per scene are necessary (IMO).

Perhaps the Shaman will be enough to redeem it for some guests, but I'm guessing that people who wait 45+ minutes this summer will leave disappointed.

I agree with you. It's a pretty ride. I don't know how much re-rideability it has. The Shaman's great but it does feel like something's missing from the ride. I agree that people waiting 45+ will likely be disappointed, much like many come off Mine Train wanting more. But at least there's a bit of a thrill with Mine Train. I'll defend River Journey to an extent but I've agreed with those who will likely find it boring or wanting it to be longer. It's still an immersive beautiful boat ride but it is lacking something. I don't think narration or even "lack of story" is what's missing. The screens are mostly well integrated (besides one IMO). I don't know. It's not a bad ride but it could have been better. I want to be more in defense of it but I really can't. I can't say I'm compelled to do it again, though I'm sure I will, I've only done it once so far and I'd like to give it another ride or two.

FOP meanwhile I think is fantastic. It's definitely a must do. I think many will come away more wow'd by that, despite some trying to be dismissive of it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. After a few more rides on Na'vi River Journey, I'm now less enthusiastic about it.

So far this is my let down.. when everyone was down on FoP as a rehash.. I was really hoping the boat ride would be the hidden gem. Alas the duration and lack of 'purpose' seems to have doomed it to repeat Maelstrom's fate... leaving people with 'why?'. At least it's not superstar limo :D

Kman101

Agreed. There are times where it slows down and you can enjoy the beauty. It's very very well done. Makes me sad some are so dismissive of it. But I agree with your post @flynnibus "everyone loves something new". But I think they did right by it. People are loving it for a reason, because it's well done. Won't be everyone's cup of tea. I'd rather someone flat out say I don't like it instead of trying to dance around and coming across as looking for ways to downplay it or be negative about it and it doesn't seem sincere.

Kman101

So far this is my let down.. when everyone was down on FoP as a rehash.. I was really hoping the boat ride would be the hidden gem. Alas the duration and lack of 'purpose' seems to have doomed it to repeat Maelstrom's fate... leaving people with 'why?'. At least it's not superstar limo :D

It's a hidden gem in the sense it's beautiful and what of it is well done. But I think it lacks in pulling you back to re-ride it multiple times, but that's me. I don't know that many would be quick to dismiss it if there were a third attraction in the land. But being the second attraction, it could have been more. But what's there is beautiful and nice to look at. The Shaman's impressive. But there's not a lot to it.

EDIT: I was rooting for the boat ride as well. I'm admitting I think longer, with a drop, would have been better. You do start to get into it right when it ends. I was left wanting more. Not necessarily in a bad way wanting more but I did enjoy it. It's a hard one to explain.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

It's not a rehash though, it is an incredible ride that stands on its own. I'm often critical of TWDC, but I was among those who gave FoP a standing ovation the first time I rode it. Maelstrom was a better ride than River Journey though, except of course for all of the tech.

WDWFigment

I agree with you. It's a pretty ride. I don't know how much re-rideability it has. The Shaman's great but it does feel like something's missing from the ride. I agree that people waiting 45+ will likely be disappointed, much like many come off Mine Train wanting more. But at least there's a bit of a thrill with Mine Train. I'll defend River Journey to an extent but I've agreed with those who will likely find it boring or wanting it to be longer. It's still an immersive beautiful boat ride but it is lacking something. I don't think narration or even "lack of story" is what's missing. The screens are mostly well integrated (besides one IMO). I don't know. It's not a bad ride but it could have been better. I want to be more in defense of it but I really can't. I can't say I'm compelled to do it again, though I'm sure I will, I've only done it once so far and I'd like to give it another ride or two.

FOP meanwhile I think is fantastic. It's definitely a must do. I think many will come away more wow'd by that, despite some trying to be dismissive of it.

I was more excited for Na'vi River Journey (which is perhaps part of the letdown?), but I was actually hoping it'd lack story, and just be a meandering journey. Something cool for coolness' own sake, without exposition or any real purpose.

I don't know if you've either ever been on Journey to the Center of the Earth, but there's a cool 'Mushroom Forest' at the beginning with an array of interesting/cute little critters, gemstones, mushrooms, etc. My hope was that this would be an extended version of that, with updated tech.

To some degree, it is (and the AA is certainly cooler than any of JTTCOE's own Mushroom Forest figures). However, it also lacks something--I can't quite put my finger on what--that makes that portion of JTTCOE appealing and intriguing. I still don't think it's a dud, but I also walked onto it with a 0 minute wait every time I did it.

Flight of Passage, on the other hand, I'd expect to be the top attraction at Walt Disney World in terms of guest satisfaction scores within a year or so (once wait times go down a bit). It's not my personal favorite attraction at WDW, but I wouldn't get into an argument with anyone who ranked it #1. Personal preference and all that...

TalkingHead

Yawn...
We get it you are not a fan.
Let's discredit the overwhelmingly positive reviews by relegating them to people who have been bought off.

Mean while you go on the Universal thread and have overwhelmingly positive reviews of metal beam mountain. You have no problems putting on the blinders regarding that project.

Please stop being so predictable.
It's okay to not be a fan of Pandora...but do you have to post the same exact thing over and over again about how you suspect most people won't like Pandora just because you don't love it.
Give it a rest.

Where did I say anything positive about "metal beam mountain"?

I'll wait.

Oddysey

I was more excited for Na'vi River Journey (which is perhaps part of the letdown?), but I was actually hoping it'd lack story, and just be a meandering journey. Something cool for coolness' own sake, without exposition or any real purpose.

I don't know if you've either ever been on Journey to the Center of the Earth, but there's a cool 'Mushroom Forest' at the beginning with an array of interesting/cute little critters, gemstones, mushrooms, etc. My hope was that this would be an extended version of that, with updated tech.

To some degree, it is (and the AA is certainly cooler than any of JTTCOE's own Mushroom Forest figures). However, it also lacks something--I can't quite put my finger on what--that makes that portion of JTTCOE appealing and intriguing. I still don't think it's a dud, but I also walked onto it with a 0 minute wait every time I did it.

Flight of Passage, on the other hand, I'd expect to be the top attraction at Walt Disney World in terms of guest satisfaction scores within a year or so (once wait times go down a bit). It's not my personal favorite attraction at WDW, but I wouldn't get into an argument with anyone who ranked it #1. Personal preference and all that...

I was likewise much more excited for Na'vi River Journey, and had low expectations for FoP. The Na'vi River Journey was nice. The only real adjective I can use to describe the ride is...nice. I think that the ride was developed to evoke a sense of wonder. The problem is that sense of wonder begins to develop at about the time the ride is approaching the end. It takes more than a couple of minutes to really begin to transition from being in the "real world" to being fully engrossed with the new wondrous world we are meant to experience on Na'vi River Journey.

An analogy I will use is that it takes me about 3 days of vacation before I actually start relaxing and quit thinking about work. It simply takes that long for my brain to transition from high stress/problem solving mode to a more relaxed state. If the ride were a bit longer, I think it would solve the problem of lack of immersion. The Shaman is amazing, but the ride ends abruptly upon seeing her. Imagine turning the corner and seeing maybe 2 or 3 more 10 foot Na'vi animatronics in various scenes, and extending the ride a couple more minutes. If that were the case, the ride would likely be near a must do every trip for me. All in my humble opinion of course.

As I wrote in an earlier review, although I did expect much from FoP, it is now one of my top 3 favorite attractions in all of Orlando.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I was on here a couple months ago giving my opinion on why most people would be disapointed with the Navi River Journey based off what we knew at the time and it seems I was correct. It's pretty obvious. When you hear....

1.no story
2.no thrills
3: 1 AA
4: 4-5 minutes long?

This ride needed to include at least 2 of the 4 property to be worthwhile or to at least meet people's expectations. I think most Disney park fans were probably more excited for NRJ when first announced because it had all the making of what could have been the next great boat ride but alas.

FOP Sounds amazing though.

Last edited:

Eckert

I was on here a couple months ago giving my opinion on why most people would be disapointed with the Navi River Journey based off what we knew at the time and it seems I was correct. It's pretty obvious. When you hear....

1.no story
2.no thrills
3: 1 AA
4: 4-5 minutes long?

This ride needed to include at least 2 of the 4 property to be worthwhile or to at least meet people's expectations.

The Guardians ride meets at least 3 of those. ;)

Kman101

In my opinion, it seems like everything in that building has been quite literally upgraded. Meet me in the Guardians thread.

Eh. Sort of. We all kind of clamor for something new and shiny and Guardians is a fun use of the ride itself.

Winter

So, I don't want to read the posts on here because I don't want to be spoiled about how the ride is..... But I do want to ask, how good is it? Is it a good ride or bad ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom