Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

Jon81uk

I do think the one lacking area would be a greater number of more relaxing C-ticket type rides. NRJ is obviously in this vein, but a few more to flesh things out would really help to make the park even more spectacular

I've always thought of the animal trails as being the relaxed C ticket stuff. But I also agree an extra suitilble for all ride (not a kiddie carnival spinner or a thrill ride) would be nice too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Have you ridden it? I'm not trying to be obtuse. I get the premise of "linking" with the avatar. The queue walks you through that -- you link, "it feel real because it is."

When you're in the avatar's body (i.e. during the ride), you would see the banshee you're paired with, wouldn't you? That's what the preshow depicts. That part of the drama is lost in the ride.

I think you are nitpicking trying to justify a predisposed belief. Your examples were focusing on physical supporting elements and how this one lacks that... a concept that is irrelevant if you buy into the story. I get what you are saying about what is in the field of view or not.. but I think without being in the true POV of the ride it's hard to hang that as a deal breaker or not.

Personally I'm wondering how much the people next to you hurt the experience or not... more than worrying about looking down.

Oddysey

Have you ridden it? I'm not trying to be obtuse. I get the premise of "linking" with the avatar. The queue walks you through that -- you link, "it feel real because it is."

When you're in the avatar's body (i.e. during the ride), you would see the banshee you're paired with, wouldn't you? That's what the preshow depicts. That part of the drama is lost in the ride.

I suspect my arms and hands should turn blue as well since they are sometimes in my field of vision while riding

gorillaball

Yeah, but as you experience your avatar's sensations, can't you see the banshee? You never see the banshee you're riding on -- as soon as you link, you go into a POV that's flying through space detached from the banshee. I kept thing there should be someway to give the sensation of looking down and seeing the banshee under you, but that wouldn't work because of the clunky way they have the row of ride vehicles lined up side by side.

I get that the "breathing" effect is supposed to convince you the banshee is under you. Just saying, after the preshow makes such a big to-do about the banshee being this epic creature, it's disappointing that your creature doesn't visually figure more prominently into the ride.

I agree with TalkingHead. It would be better on a full sized actual banshee with individual wings and a head. They could have done a row of 1, heck maybe even 2 on each row. Take that times 3 levels and 4 theaters on a 7 minute cycle and we are talking an hourly capacity of about 205. There is no doubting for 205 people every hour the ride would be better if Disney had chosen to do this.

tirian

I've always thought of the animal trails as being the relaxed C ticket stuff. But I also agree an extra suitilble for all ride (not a kiddie carnival spinner or a thrill ride) would be nice too.
I love the animal trails—they're my favorite part of classic DAK—but I have to admit I love them for the theming, not the animals. Both trails are pretty much groups of common zoo animals with one big payoff, either gorillas or tigers.

PorterRedkey

So you split the difference and say it's several versions above it. So Flight of Passage is Soarin' 6.0.

I agree though, both are lazy and I've been guilty of both.
I am more the "blender" guy.
If you take Soarin and mix it with the Simpson and the Tron RV's from Shanghai you get FoP. However, I haven't ridden yet, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. :confused:

RSoxNo1

I am more the "blender" guy.
If you take Soarin and mix it with the Simpson and the Tron RV's from Shanghai you get FoP. However, I haven't ridden yet, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. :confused:
I'm more apt to do that as well, but I'm guilty of all of the above. I think blending is the best way, but it also makes it sound like a movie pitch.

doctornick

While I don't disagree about the trails, I think DAK (and all the non-MK WDW parks for that matter) needs more of that decent but not headlining attraction that helps to round out the park and fill the day.

Furthermore, one issue with DAK now that it has longer hours is that the animal trails close early. It would benefit from some additional attractions just to have more to do after dark.

BubbaQuest

I think you are nitpicking trying to justify a predisposed belief. Your examples were focusing on physical supporting elements and how this one lacks that... a concept that is irrelevant if you buy into the story. I get what you are saying about what is in the field of view or not.. but I think without being in the true POV of the ride it's hard to hang that as a deal breaker or not.

Personally I'm wondering how much the people next to you hurt the experience or not... more than worrying about looking down.

But I believe it was James Cameron himself that said this ride was going to be all about riding your own banshee. I realize things change and early designs don't match the final product, but I too was surprised to see the final video after all the pre-show hype about "bonding" with your banshee. I wondered how you knew which banshee you were flying on, only to find out you're not on any of the banshees in the video. You're flying as a group behind what's on the screen. You could have just as easily been in a helicopter.

Tech wise, this is BTTF 1.5. Disney lead me to believe it was something else.

Last edited:

MagicGoofy

Yeah, but as you experience your avatar's sensations, can't you see the banshee? You never see the banshee you're riding on -- as soon as you link, you go into a POV that's flying through space detached from the banshee. I kept thing there should be someway to give the sensation of looking down and seeing the banshee under you, but that wouldn't work because of the clunky way they have the row of ride vehicles lined up side by side.

I get that the "breathing" effect is supposed to convince you the banshee is under you. Just saying, after the preshow makes such a big to-do about the banshee being this epic creature, it's disappointing that your creature doesn't visually figure more prominently into the ride.

Holly Nitpick!

You can go any ride in the world and search for things that make it seem un "realistic". When I'm on FJ i don't point out me being able to see the end of the screens or the fact that the lighting changes between the screens and sets are pretty jarring, or the fact your in some plot hole vehicle. You know why I don't point it out? Because those are nitpicks that don't affect how great the ride is. If your constantly looking off the screen, then your literately searching for things you can hate on later.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Tech wise, this is BTTF 1.5. Disney lead me to believe it was something else.

Or you heard an in-precise statement and you came up with your own conclusions. People do this all the time.. the point of the tease is not to give you every detail, but to get you excited and leave things unsaid so you keep wanting more. Nothing Cameron said excludes the idea of a linked virtual experience like we have - you just filled in the gaps yourself and now are comparing to your own conclusions. You could use that same logic to say Disney told me I was going to visit a Caribbean town, and all I got was lit flapping fabric and some plastic figures too..

Clearly the visual technology is way beyond an incremental step from BTTF.. or simpsons.. or star tours.

It's not about the bits and tools.. it's about the sum.

BubbaQuest

Or you heard an in-precise statement and you came up with your own conclusions. People do this all the time.. the point of the tease is not to give you every detail, but to get you excited and leave things unsaid so you keep wanting more. Nothing Cameron said excludes the idea of a linked virtual experience like we have - you just filled in the gaps yourself and now are comparing to your own conclusions. You could use that same logic to say Disney told me I was going to visit a Caribbean town, and all I got was lit flapping fabric and some plastic figures too..

Clearly the visual technology is way beyond an incremental step from BTTF.. or simpsons.. or star tours.

It's not about the bits and tools.. it's about the sum.

From Disney's own blog, 3 months ago: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-new-look-inside-pandora-the-world-of-avatar/

"Avatar Flight of Passage, which will allow guests to ride a Banshee over the world of Pandora"

Guess next time I'll demand a more thorough explanation of "ride a Banshee".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom