Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

becca_

Hello. Making the trip out there next week. A couple of questions if anyone can help. I read this was 3-D. Can you fit the helmet/visor over regular glasses? I don't wear contacts. We were thinking of going very late at night and taking advantage of the extra two hours you get if staying at the resort. Think the lines will be better then? Or best to go early and just wait? We have a FP for the river journey but couldn't get one for FOP. Thanks!

Depending on what time your FP for river journey is, what day you're going to AK, and if there are EMH, I think the best plan would be to rope drop FoP because the past few days the lines have been up to 4 hours long, and personally I would wait at most 2hrs (but that's just me). So on a non-EMH morning, I got to AK at 7:30am and they opened at 8 although they were already letting guests in at I believe 7. I walked right onto River Journey with a 15 minute posted wait time, actually waited maybe 5-7mins. Then had a FP for Flight of Passage at 8:35am, and the standby was already 190mins long.

Cesar R M

Wow.

Super woooowww.
I wonder if James Cameron was like this towards the maintenance staff of AK lol
breathingonneck.png

Jones14

Okay, so I got to get ride #2 in this morning. This thing was REALLY well storyboarded; in the first ride I was so overwhelmed at how much there is to the experience that I didn't even consider the arc of the film itself. The pacing is damn near perfect; I really could not think of a single thing to improve how the ride experience unfolds.

We got in line at 7:50 and were told to expect a two hour wait. I've got good news here. We ended up spending an hour and a half in line, and we were (slowly) moving for nearly the entire time. If this ride doesn't break down, Fastpass doesn't REALLY stop the standby line. I'm sure we slowed down, but everyone in the group noted a distinct lack of stopping that one finds on rides like Space Mountain, Frozen, and Soarin'. I don't know who ops is selling their souls to, but bravo to them.

This place (and Flight in particular) is CRAZY popular already. We encountered tons of people in line who were just going nuts about it. The general population is eating this place up. River Journey was an absolute hit with my family (more on that in the other thread), despite its flaws.

I have found my one (minor) flaw in the experience. It really isn't THAT important because it's not their fault and there's really nothing they can do about it, but the ride system gets loud. You can hear the whirring of the machinery that's bucking you about during some of the portions without music, almost like the sound of a mechanical bull. Again, not that big a deal, but if you want a nitpick, there's my single dislike.

Overall, though, the attraction is still a 10/10. Tower is putting up a good fight, but I think this ties with it in my mind for best attraction at WDW. Certainly the best simulator I've ever been on by a long shot, and will absolutely make my top five overall for a very, very long time. I can't reiterate enough how much of a home run they hit with this one.

Magic Feather

Okay, so I got to get ride #2 in this morning. This thing was REALLY well storyboarded; in the first ride I was so overwhelmed at how much there is to the experience that I didn't even consider the arc of the film itself. The pacing is damn near perfect; I really could not think of a single thing to improve how the ride experience unfolds.

We got in line at 7:50 and were told to expect a two hour wait. I've got good news here. We ended up spending an hour and a half in line, and we were (slowly) moving for nearly the entire time. If this ride doesn't break down, Fastpass doesn't REALLY stop the standby line. I'm sure we slowed down, but everyone in the group noted a distinct lack of stopping that one finds on rides like Space Mountain, Frozen, and Soarin'. I don't know who ops is selling their souls to, but bravo to them.

This place (and Flight in particular) is CRAZY popular already. We encountered tons of people in line who were just going nuts about it. The general population is eating this place up. River Journey was an absolute hit with my family (more on that in the other thread), despite its flaws.

I have found my one (minor) flaw in the experience. It really isn't THAT important because it's not their fault and there's really nothing they can do about it, but the ride system gets loud. You can hear the whirring of the machinery that's bucking you about during some of the portions without music, almost like the sound of a mechanical bull. Again, not that big a deal, but if you want a nitpick, there's my single dislike.

Overall, though, the attraction is still a 10/10. Tower is putting up a good fight, but I think this ties with it in my mind for best attraction at WDW. Certainly the best simulator I've ever been on by a long shot, and will absolutely make my top five overall for a very, very long time. I can't reiterate enough how much of a home run they hit with this one.
Out of curiosity, where did the line "start" in the queue for your hour and a half wait?

Mattsteveal

Yeah, but as you experience your avatar's sensations, can't you see the banshee? You never see the banshee you're riding on -- as soon as you link, you go into a POV that's flying through space detached from the banshee. I kept thing there should be someway to give the sensation of looking down and seeing the banshee under you, but that wouldn't work because of the clunky way they have the row of ride vehicles lined up side by side.

I get that the "breathing" effect is supposed to convince you the banshee is under you. Just saying, after the preshow makes such a big to-do about the banshee being this epic creature, it's disappointing that your creature doesn't visually figure more prominently into the ride.

Is it possible the idea is meant to be that when a na'vi links to a banshee they create a symbiotic link and actually see through the eyes of the banshee?

neoshinok

Arrived Sunday at 7:40 am, the land was already packed but CM crowd control to guide extended lines was commendable. FoP line was nearly halfway down the bridge to Africa but it moved steadily and gave us just enough time to take in the scenery of the queue. We were on the ride almost exactly one hour after entering.

It was stunning in many ways but one detail I very much appreciated was the execution of the mist. I get really tired of nearly every 3D attraction squirting water on you but the way they made this such a fine mist while flying near water blended so perfectly with the image. It added to the realism rather than feeling out of place. The accurate motion, wind and mist combine to make this the most convincing flight simulation I've ever experienced.

We left after exiting FoP to get a short wait for the Safari. I'm very excited to visit again after my pass blackout ends and see the rest of what the land offers.

djkidkaz

Heading back over in a few hours to ride NRJ with or fastpass and then get in line for FoP. I'm curious to see if my motion sickness returns.

Daveeeeed

Out of curiosity, where did the line "start" in the queue for your hour and a half wait?
We started on the bridge to Africa, about 50 yards past the Valley of Moara sign. Then they wound us through one of the paths before wrapping around to the actual entrance.
Same for me Sunday Morning @ 6:55am.
Was continuously walking the whole time. They were breaking up the line in intervals to essentially create a walking environment it felt. Got to soak up the land and the magnificent queue. Worth it for every second.

TalkingHead

Is it possible the idea is meant to be that when a na'vi links to a banshee they create a symbiotic link and actually see through the eyes of the banshee?

Interesting idea, but I don't buy it -- I think the "breathing" effect is supposed to convince us there's a banshee down there. But who knows? Maybe that's what they're going for.

Daveeeeed

@wdwmagic Yout article is so spot on it's incredible. Everything from your descriptions of Flight of Passage to the motion sickness verdict is on point.
Thank you and I will show that article to anyone I know wanting to visit Pandora.

clemmo

Wow the wait times don't look atrocious. 2 hours for FOP an 1 1/2 hours for NRJ. Imo if the ride and queue are that good 2 hours isn't terrible especially since its brand new.

disneygeek90

I agree (I assume you are talking about FoP). I have never been swept up in a ride like that. I use the phrase 'swept up' and the term 'exhilarating' to describe this ride. It is now at the top of my list of rides in Orlando.
I rode for the second time yesterday. A couple times I took a glance at the others in my group and in the other rooms. Everyone had a huge smile on their face. I don’t know many rides that can completely immerse and be as fun as FoP is, but there’s really no other way to describe it other than a completely immersive and beautiful adventure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom