The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hi gang!! Busy, busy, busy here. Getting things done before our trip in 4 days!!! The weather is getting us ready for FL. Our temps may reach 90 tomorrow! :eek: That is July temps for us!
DD got back from a business trip with a really bad cough. It had gotten better since her flu last month. She went to the dtr and --pneumonia!! :oops: So she is home for three days. Hoping the meds knock it out of her. She doesn't feel bad. The coughing is wearing her out though. Fun....
Prayers and pixie dust xoxo

Figgy1

Premium Member
I managed to get all my herbs potted up and out on the deck, but the tomatoes I got this morning will have to wait until tomorrow. It's way too nice to do anything but sit out on my deck and read until the boys get home and kick my dh out of bed:joyfull: It finally looks like it will be nice until fall.:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::inlove:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My iris are just now blooming. Just in time for the snow on Thursday. :grumpy:

My Iris' are up but not blooming yet. I'm not a big fan of the ones I have. They are pretty enough but they are too tall and tend to fall to the surface-top heavy.

Snow???Oy 86 degrees today Friday 56 high. I'll be covering the tomatoes again. :rolleyes: But we still have mushie ground and yet my containers of flowers and veggies along with grass seed want water.
C_-BnxJXYAAZslj.jpg

This is SUPPOSED to be Prairie Tall-grass :cyclops:

Gabe1

I can send you snow on Thursday!;););)
Actually a snow melt would be a better water source for the plants. Maybe you should bring some snow to drought Florida.

I watched Sam's Club watering their potted flowers and landscaping. They were ripping open large bags of ice and putting it on top of the soil of the plant containers. Slow release of water vs most of it running onto the ground. Not a bad idea.

Gabe1

Thank you, I love peony's they smell wonderful. My neighbor has tried to grow these, but no luck. Another one of my favorite flowers. xoxo

I love peony's. When we bought the house so many of them lined the one wall of our house. The next spring I dug up them all and had lots of willing takers as they were mature already.
Whoever thought these lovely flowers that attract ants was a good idea up against the house...well dumb comes to mind.

About 5 years later I dug up all the beautiful rose bushes. They were far better place or so most would think-except my kids and Pup. There didn't seem to be a learning curve for any of them that these flowers had thorns and make you bleed. :confused:

Songbird76

I'm sorry about losing your dad. The first couple years were rough, when I lost my parents. I like to think that they are in a much better place.
Thanks...it's hard, but I'm at peace about it...he was 84, so he had a good long life. And I just saw him last Summer, so I have no regrets like "Oh if only I had gone and seen him one more time". And we found out that the mine was making him move off the ranch...he sold the land (surface only) decades ago and he leased it back to live on. Now they are wanting to mine the coal adjacent to his house and so he was going to have to move. I'm thinking perhaps he just kind of had enough. To be 84 and faced with moving from the only home you've ever had, and having to give up the identity as "rancher", because he was going to have to sell all the cattle. I think he was done. The last thing I said to him was that I love him and to let me know what the doctor said, so he knew I cared. He went in his sleep...can't ask for much more than a peaceful exit at an old age, knowing your family loves you, right? I'm still sad and I miss him, but I'm coping.

Gabe1

Whelp, I wasn't going to, but it looks like I'm going to WDW in August. I have to take a week without pay, but oh well. If I don't take any time off, I think I will burn out.

I have to fly down separately from my family because they have a Friday morning flight, and it happens to be the Friday morning that I have a monthly meeting that I can't miss, so I'll fly down that evening. I was planning on flying back the following Sunday...until I discovered that it was half a day's pay cheaper to fly back on Monday instead of over the weekend. Then I discovered Monday's fare back was so cheap that I could use my frequent flyer miles and pay nothing. So Monday it is, and work completely understood. They can figure out how to get along without me for one additional day.

I'm happy you get to go too! Will the rest of your family be staying longer? Most employers, especially good ones know new employees are coming to the firm with vacations planned.
Most good firms will not create bad will by saying no.

I did have to giggle at a young woman my kids both know very well: She took a job with a governmental body that has clear vacation pay rules and her Disney vacation next month is not covered at all...yet I heard her say she wonders if they will just pay her for the week. (She has been there since May 1st :hilarious:)
It wasn't said in a way that she expected that of them, just a pondering thought said outloud. Made me smile. :oops:

Songbird76

My iris are just now blooming. Just in time for the snow on Thursday. :grumpy:
Sympathy like! Is there anything you can do to protect them? My Brother-in-law belongs to the gardening club in their town and he dug up a BUNCH of Irises my last day there because they are having a sale in a couple of weeks and he said the irises were taking over everything, so he was going to sell them at the sale. I hope everyone's plants survive!

BAChicagoGal

I managed to get all my herbs potted up and out on the deck, but the tomatoes I got this morning will have to wait until tomorrow. It's way too nice to do anything but sit out on my deck and read until the boys get home and kick my dh out of bed:joyfull: It finally looks like it will be nice until fall.:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::inlove:

I have not planted any vegetables in my garden for years. The reason being is that we have a really bad rodent problem in our alley. They used to be on my end of the alley, but thank goodness they are down the other direction now. Vegetables were fun to grow, but I have just as much fun growing flowers. I try new stuff every year. My grandson's girlfriend and I did by some herb plants at Home Depot a few weeks back, and they are doing pretty well, despite the cool weather. At least the last few days, the temps have been above 70, and it's been sunny.

I love peony's. When we bought the house so many of them lined the one wall of our house. The next spring I dug up them all and had lots of willing takers as they were mature already.
Whoever thought these lovely flowers that attract ants was a good idea up against the house...well dumb comes to mind.

About 5 years later I dug up all the beautiful rose bushes. They were far better place or so most would think-except my kids and Pup. There didn't seem to be a learning curve for any of them that these flowers had thorns and make you bleed. :confused:

I have never planted peonies, but I did know about the ants loving them, and the last thing I need is anything else that attracts the ants. Years ago my son lived in my basement, and he had a German Shepherd named Susie. She loved to jump on the fence, when she saw the squirrels running two door down up a tree. She would also dig in the dirt along the back part of the fence. I went to the garden center, and bought a few "carpet rose" plants, and planted them near that fence. Susie jumped once, and never jumped again. She still barked at the squirrels, but it was from a distance. My son has since moved. Susie has since passed away. The roses are still there. Still blooming. I call them "Susie's Roses".

Songbird76

I've been so productive today! I got rid of my paper recycling, mowed both my front and back yard, and made scans and lists of all my travel and funeral expenses for while I was in the states and got them sent to my lawyer so I can get paid back from the estate when the money comes in. So yay. And last night I had choir and it was SOOOO nice to sing again. And I was the only 1st Soprano there, and it went really well even though this is only like...my 4th or 5th rehearsal with them. They dug out an old arrangement but didn't have the music for it yet (well, not enough to hand out) but most of them know it from long ago, and I was able to follow along. The soprano part ends up in the rafters and it was so much fun...my old choir never got up that high because I was the only one who could do it, but this group is a higher quality one, requiring an audition. So it was fantastic to sing up there in the higher register again...it's been a LONG time.
Have I mentioned I'm so glad to be back home???
@betty rose , can I have some of that snow, please? It's supposed to be over 80 degrees tomorrow and I don't know if I can handle that heat right now!! (that's why I mowed today....no way am I going out there in the heat to do it tomorrow and it's supposed to rain Thursday and Friday)

BAChicagoGal

I mowed my grass a few days ago, and now I am working on getting the bare patches filled in. Some of the grass seed has sprouted. I'll just keep tossing additional see out there every week, or so, and I should have some good grass by Summer's end. No yard work for me today. I divided the hosts yesterday, and my back is super sore today. My face pain has been super annoying the last few days as well. Especially at night.

Gabe1

Yikes girl!
how many times have you been at disney?

Her family would be a good example of when a Disney DVC is a sound investment. We considered it way back when my DD was just born and my DS had already been to The World 7 times by her first visit. I'm not a gambler and talked myself out of it. When the economy tanked for many years it would have been a burden, same as the almost decade while they were in college, our trips were few and far apart. We would have been forced to sell the points likely and during the recession the cost per point favored the buyer greatly.

For @StarWarsGirl family the DVC has likely worked out even better than the sales pitches promise. Unfortunately like my God Daughter has found out sometimes it doesn't work that way, she bought it when she was single and childless, a good income for a single person.

Gabe1

Hi gang!! Busy, busy, busy here. Getting things done before our trip in 4 days!!! The weather is getting us ready for FL. Our temps may reach 90 tomorrow! :eek: That is July temps for us!
DD got back from a business trip with a really bad cough. It had gotten better since her flu last month. She went to the dtr and --pneumonia!! :oops: So she is home for three days. Hoping the meds knock it out of her. She doesn't feel bad. The coughing is wearing her out though. Fun....

No idea what meds the Doc gave her but we had the same thing years back happen with my DS leaving for WDW within a few days. He too had pneumonia and his Doc along with antibiotics gave him an inhaler and that helped a lot. He never had one before and doesn't have respiratory problems until a bout with the flu. He felt so much better being able to breathe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom